Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Their fans are vermin who won't stay away from the grounds, is my best guess.
That was my first thought.

The Daily Star reporting the El Dippico is to be played in Manchester. How’s that going to stop the fuckers travelling en masse?

Next season will be played behind closed doors.
Or part of it.

Or would people prefer that all football be cancelled until the virus has disappeared?

As we can see from the Bundesliga , the game without crowds is fucking grim. The sound of an empty stadium is soul destroying.
I'll be turning the sound down and listening to music while watching which I used to do anyway because the commentators ruin it.

I've just read some data about games played so far in Bundesliga since they restarted. Away teams won 12 of 30 games, while home teams won only 5. Away teams points won percentage went from 42.6% before covid to 56.8% since restart. It's small sample of games, but it's a strong hint of home advantage being lost and it could have big consequence for some teams.

Shame we didn't manage to play Madrid game. Would have been the best atmosphere at CL game ever, just after we got that ban and now that big advantage is lost.

It's almost as if Dean Smith's father never even existed. The news of his passing is completely buried on the mainstream press pages. Can't have that story competing with the PL return and Salah's happy face. Sickening.

We are still on the first wave , 300 odd dead today , will be interesting when the shops open next month if the fatalities increase substantially i can see another lockdown and back to square one , but at least the Dippers will have their title.

I understand. Just don’t think a “second wave” develops that fast.

Look, I live in a “red state” in the US. We’ve luckily only had a few hundred deaths - and I don’t say that lightly.

We basically opened back up on May 1.

I sort of expected cases to surge by now. They haven’t.

Sure. I keep tracking it and new cases and deaths are flat. I guess the powers that be are willing to accept that. Sadly.

And honestly, the owners and powers that be in the Premier League are willing to accept the same. I wish our owners, mgmt, players had been more outspoken. But they weren’t. Just goes to show how important the almighty pound/dollar is.

It should have been evident to all on the pics for first day back in training and the ridiculous autos they drove. They want their cash too.

Don’t blame them. But the fears of taking it back to a family ring hollow to me.

Just wish we had a leader like Kompany or Lake. Have a feeling they would call this for what it is.

But most likely still play the silly* matches.

Next season will be played behind closed doors.
Or part of it.

Or would people prefer that all football be cancelled until the virus has disappeared?

As we can see from the Bundesliga , the game without crowds is fucking grim. The sound of an empty stadium is soul destroying.
I'll be turning the sound down and listening to music while watching which I used to do anyway because the commentators ruin it.

It is different - and probably Sky or BT will have an option with an artifical stadium noise. I do not even think that artifical stadium sound is too bad (if you do not know) - and when the TV production adjusts their production - what they already in Germany have - not to make too many pictures that show the empty stadium it might even feel pretty normal.

I actually think that you adjust - yes, in boring minutes that a lot matches have, you think about the missing crowd a lot - but when the action on the pitch is good you forget about it.

And - I see a lot positives to the new match experience, too, especially when it means my own team. There is less complaining, less acting for the crowd - less and shorter interruption and more net match time. I enjoy listening to the players, too. Gives you more ideas how the communication in a team works - who are the ones that give the commands - how do they react to different situations and how does the coach interfere. Gives you another picture of several players and of the structure in the team as normally the noise of the crowd will cover that.

I already said it in another thread - we have to live with the situation and live goes on - even if it is with different rules. It does not help to always talk about things that we might miss but to make the best out of that what we can have or get. I love football not because of the event but because of the game and the players. And atleast that is what I now get - even without the decorum.

So you do have some interest in football still ?

Sorry, not trying to be a twat. There’s a lot I dislike in football too at the moment. VAR is the biggest killer for me. I’m not a fan of champions league football In its current format . And as for tv/fixture planners disregard for match going fans ...

But I must admit, having, like many people, worked continually through the last few months I will be glad to see some football at last. No, it won’t be anything like the “real” stuff but it will do for me whilst this crap situation continues

Yes my interest is City

Like you I have worked through the lockdown, if they want to bring football back ok. But it cant be the premier league. Where records will stand etc. You can not change the format of the competition after 75% of the season. The premiership has lost all integrity.

Where does it say that after 75% of the season played that fans are going to be banned ?, that clubs can use 5 subs but must wear masks and sit 2 metres apart ?. That match might be shorter in lenght ? That there is going to be a 4 month break to allow the players a rest ?. That staff and players and their families might catch a deadly virus, but the premier league must carry on in any format ?

Any restart to me is just taking the piss out of us match going fans.

I dont agree with a restart but IF the clubs to null n void the premier league and just play a round robin for the tv companys, that's up to them.

You say it wont be like the 'real thing' and I agree with you , but any point record liverpool might get will stand and over ride City's in a season were the rules weren't changed. I am f**king angry that our points record could be over taken with this micky mouse effect to get liverpool over the line. It's a disgrace that other clubs are going along with this folly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.