Chelsea (a) post-match thread

That’s true but they’ve shown remarkable resilience to achieve what they have.

They lost a CL final and won it the following year. They lost the league by a single point and won it the next year.

I think we will never be in a better position to win the CL than we are now and this provides some serious motivation.

I thought we’d do it last year but we were fucked over imo.

hopefully now is our time.

Yep. Way to many individual errors to be competitive. I think we are a better team to watch, but the brain fart defending is what separates it.

I’ll remain of the opinion that they have had some assistance, but not conflate with our inability to defend and put away guilt edged chances.

Agreed about the individual errors. However, I think there are a few players who simply need replacing which will solve the issue.

I also think that the issues comes from the squad players as opposed to the starting 11 which makes it easier to fix.

Just hope the players are arsed next Thursday. I accept we can’t be perfect all the time but at least show some effort. Too many passengers this season, too many going missing in big games. Well done to Liverpool for winning a league that should have been null and voided.

We peaked last season when we were magnificent. The warning signs were there though, Liverpool were getting stronger and stronger. We have strengthened but our recruitment has been sub standard. Going forward we need a major rebuild due to my last statement but financially we probably won't be able to.

Our defence is shocking and our midfield is slow, too easily bypassed and weak. Up front we have an ageing Aguero and in patches Mahrez. Bernardo and Sterlings form has gone off a cliff, will it ever return? Jesus is a more skilful Dickov. Totally anonymous in too many games in spite of his hard work.

In defence only Ederson, Laporte and Walker should stay. In midfield we have Kev, Foden and Bernardo if he regains his form. Fern can do another season but he is coming up to 35 years of age. Up front Aguero and Mahrez should stay, the jury's out on whether Sterling and Jesus can somehow up their game to the level required. Sterling has in the past but has been pretty shocking for a long time now.

Rodri for me is a bad fit for us and the premier league in particular. Too slow. Cancelo and Mendy have been a disaster. Gundogan has quality but again he is slow and disappears too often when the going gets tough. We are losing Silva.

We may have to see us slip down the pecking order for a couple of seasons, especially if the champions league ban stands. Sorry if this sounds a bit doom and gloom and we could still win another two trophies this season but it can't mask our weaknesses

Oh and yes I was there in the dark times but we have to stop measuring today from that, we are a top team and club now and have to be ruthless to stay there.

Lot of truth in this but Pep a top quality manager has brought on a lot of problems.
We had Sane, Aguero and Sterling playing fantastic and Pep outed Sane to the point hes probably off, I still think he'll end up better than all our wingers. Peps defensive signings have been woeful except for Laporte, never replacing Komps. This season with the same quality attacking midfielders Pep has stuck with Gundagon who can be carried as a defensive mid but he is useless and often provides nothing as an AM. Not all Peps fault lots of players form dipped as well

Until Sergio got injured Pep was playing it cool and saying all the right motivational things off the pitch. That injury seems to of spooked Pep into a more negative mindset. Jesus should of started tonight simple as that.

I thought we’d do it last year but we were fucked over imo.

hopefully now is our time.

I think we’ve been fucked over in the past three seasons.

IIRC, the Monaco game should have seen their keeper get sent off and a Kun penalty which wasn’t given. Liverpool benefitted from 2 offside goals and Sane had a offside goal incorrectly ruled out. Then there was the Llorente handball.

I say this feels different due to the Madrid game. We showed grit to get through that game and if we can go to the Bernabeu and get a result, we can beat anyone. The ref also could have ruled out the Jesus goal, it would have been soft, but I’ve seen them given.

There are also teams a lot worse than us who have won the CL.

Our league form this season reminded me of Pep's first season , eight defeats is ridiculous for the squad we have and some of that blame is at the managers door , signing Cancelo for £60m has been a disaster , he wasnt needed , the money should have been spent on a centre back , losing Sane and Laporte has been a massive blow , and Bernardo and Sterlings form has been hit and miss .
After two brilliant seasons i expected a drop off but not to this level, we can still salvage the season with two more trophies but that would be papering over the cracks of an ageing team , Merlin is leaving and i expect Kun and Dinho to leave next season some big players need replacing just hope Pep & Txiki have got the right players lined up.

Agreed about the individual errors. However, I think there are a few players who simply need replacing which will solve the issue.

I also think that the issues comes from the squad players as opposed to the starting 11 which makes it easier to fix.

Seasons can change from year to year and I expect we will be much better next time, but I agree.

Specifically across the back 4. We have the best left sided centre back on the planet but aside from that, it’s not strong enough. That is a criminal position to find ourselves when you consider the outlay and the volume of players we have bought.

The drop off from last season has been steep, and that can be linked to the movement of Fernandinho (who isn’t a bad centre half, we just haven’t filled his old role) and the loss of Vincent Kompany. We haven’t had a left back for 3 seasons and the investment in Mendy has only returned treatment bills.

It’s going to be another summer of spending lots of money across the back 4, let’s hope we get it right this time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.