Running thread

Keep it up mate, take you less than an hour once you’ve gotten used to it. Save money and get fitter....

Does anyone “run commute daily”? Under normal circumstances I live just off the bridgewater canal and it’s a lovely (car free) 10km to castle field then a little bit on the roads to my office off king street. I do this once a week on the way home, but don’t think I’d be able to do it 4 days p/w that I usually work in the office!

Strange run today. Done 8 miles at low intensity trying to keep heart rate down. Normally I would average 130bpm but I couldn’t get it under 150 today doing the same pace. Any ideas why this could be?
Needed a number 2. 3 miles from home and had to walk back . At least that got the heart rate back down
There could be loads of different reasons for this mate.
  • Have you done a lot of running this week? This is a common reason for elevated heart rate. Perhaps you need a day off - recovery time is absolutely vital and should not be neglected.
  • Have you had a lot of caffeine?
  • Not eaten?
  • Coming down with something?
  • Or just done something differently to how you normally would?

What is the advantage / purpose of Keelung heart rate down on longer runs? Thanks!

If you're running in the aerobic heart rate zones (as opposed to anaerobic) then you are burning body fat as fuel and working out your cardio system. This means that you are training yourself to be more efficient and improving your aerobic capacity and therefore developing endurance. The upshot of this is that you are training yourself to be able to run further, easier.

Heart rate training is a really big thing at the moment as there's a lot of evidence supporting its impact. Even if you look at the absolute elites - Eliud Kipchoge (the greatest marathon runner ever who ran sub-2 hours last year) does most of his mileage at the sort of easy pace that many of us could manage!

Another benefit is that it allows you to train more. Hard sessions need more recovery; easier running means quick recovery and more miles.

Of course, this depends on your goals: if you want to be able to run a half marathon or a marathon (and probably a decent 10k as well) then this sort of training will be of huge benefit. Likewise if you just want to have good general cardio fitness for a longer life or if you want to lose body fat.

It's less important for 100m sprinters or body builders. So it really comes down to what your goals are.

Strange run for me too today. Got to a field full of cows and I chickened out crossing it because my pal said he was chased by the cows there a couple if weeks back.

So I took a detour through several other fields with long wet grass without footpaths. My feet were soaked. I had to clamber over a few barbed wire fences, one by climbing up a tree then crawling along an overhanging branch and dropping into the next field. Then through some thick bracken and woods before finally locating a path 20 minutes later. I ended up doing about 7 miles instead of the planned 4. The joys of trail running.
I live in the middle of nowhere and there are cows all over the place. Often, they are literally on the road - dozens of them.

Did you know that you are 40 times more likely to be killed by a cow than by a bull? This is especially the case if they have young. Many people have been trampled by cows. They can run fast and will work together to surround you. They can turn quickly. If one of them decides to butt you or barge you, you stand no chance.

It's even unsettling when a herd in a field decides to run alongside me: some of them tactically run ahead (they are faster than me) whilst some wait a bit behind. This is part of their group strategy to surround the person. If I was in the field, I'd end up in the middle of them with no way out.

When they are on the road, I don't take the risk; I turn around and change my route. I've heard too many horror stories.

I believe there are areas where they are a lot more used to humans and so are more tame. For instance, there's a Parkrun in Newcastle that goes straight through a field of cows with no problems. But in more remote areas, it can be a lot more dangerous.

Anyway, sounds like you had an adventure at least!

Last edited:
Does anyone “run commute daily”? Under normal circumstances I live just off the bridgewater canal and it’s a lovely (car free) 10km to castle field then a little bit on the roads to my office off king street. I do this once a week on the way home, but don’t think I’d be able to do it 4 days p/w that I usually work in the office!
I used to live in London and I would do most of my training like this! It was great and I would really recommend it if you can make it work. It meant I could avoid the tube at rush hour, save money and save time by combining my training with my commute.

I lived in Haringey/Hackney (Finsbury Park-ish) but worked at various locations in Westminster (Buckingham Palace Road / Bayswater / Maida Vale) so it was something like 8 miles. There was a swimming pool right next to two of my working locations and I had free access so I would get up a bit earlier, run or cycle to work, swim a few lengths, shower and get to work fresh and ready to go whilst everyone else was bleary-eyed. I used to take porridge in a little tupperware thing and heat it up at work so I could do all the exercise fasted and eat breakfast just before starting work.

This worked really well and was a great way of marathon training whilst saving loads of time. I think I only left work something like half an hour earlier than I would have if I was getting the tube as well!

Sadly, I'm now at the opposite end of the country in the middle of nowhere and work is 15 miles away with no convenient swimming pool! So circumstances play a big part in this, but I would strongly recommend doing it if you can make it work. Obviously, it doesn't work to do it every day so you need to consider what your overall week will look like.

If you're running in the aerobic heart rate zones (as opposed to anaerobic) then you are burning body fat as fuel and working out your cardio system. This means that you are training yourself to be more efficient and improving your aerobic capacity and therefore developing endurance. The upshot of this is that you are training yourself to be able to run further, easier.

Heart rate training is a really big thing at the moment as there's a lot of evidence supporting its impact. Even if you look at the absolute elites - Eliud Kipchoge (the greatest marathon runner ever who ran sub-2 hours last year) does most of his mileage at the sort of easy pace that many of us could manage!

Another benefit is that it allows you to train more. Hard sessions need more recovery; easier running means quick recovery and more miles.

Of course, this depends on your goals: if you want to be able to run a half marathon or a marathon (and probably a decent 10k as well) then this sort of training will be of huge benefit. Likewise if you just want to have good general cardio fitness for a longer life or if you want to lose body fat.

It's less important for 100m sprinters or body builders. So it really comes down to what your goals are.

thanks mate. Really appreciate your advice. I’m off today and planning to do a 13km (that’s long for me at the moment) at a slower pace.

I have run commute many times to various places down the years. Mostly from my home to work about 7 miles away on and off for a few years. Also to another place about 14 miles away, when I would get the train in the morning, with 4 miles running and then run home in the evening. I found it tiring and only managed once a week but great time saver for marathon training.

I worked and lived away for a few years in Oxford and Cambridge and found digs about 4 miles from work and could manage the run commute twice a week, (say 16 miles). My favourite was rural Oxfordshire. I stayed in a farm house and ran through the cherwell vale. It was bliss in on summer mornings, down quiet lanes and footpaths, over rivers and streams and grand union canal. Once met some aggressive cows and chickened out from their field and made a detour. Glad I did based on stu comments. I did not know they were so dangerous.

I would have breakfast of porridge and start the commute run very gently, slow walk or jog for first mile. I think the twice a day run was a great bonus for the marathon training.

Do you run both ways - to work and back? I recommend you do.

Daily commute both ways of 10k would be too much I think. Once a week 6 mile run each way with cycling other days was best for me.

I have run commute many times to various places down the years. Mostly from my home to work about 7 miles away on and off for a few years. Also to another place about 14 miles away, when I would get the train in the morning, with 4 miles running and then run home in the evening. I found it tiring and only managed once a week but great time saver for marathon training.

I worked and lived away for a few years in Oxford and Cambridge and found digs about 4 miles from work and could manage the run commute twice a week, (say 16 miles). My favourite was rural Oxfordshire. I stayed in a farm house and ran through the cherwell vale. It was bliss in on summer mornings, down quiet lanes and footpaths, over rivers and streams and grand union canal. Once met some aggressive cows and chickened out from their field and made a detour. Glad I did based on stu comments. I did not know they were so dangerous.

I would have breakfast of porridge and start the commute run very gently, slow walk or jog for first mile. I think the twice a day run was a great bonus for the marathon training.

Do you run both ways - to work and back? I recommend you do.

No I tend to do either - like you Said theres nothing better than a 6am summer morning when there’s no one about on the canal.

I think if I was to do this more than twice a week I’d have to really learn to slow down as I don’t think my body could cope with the load the way I currently run.

ive just got back from a 12km and wanted to stay slow and keep my heart rate in the 130isg zone but I find it really tough to just trot slowly. I don’t know if it’s just boredom or habit!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.