Arsenal FA Cup SF Post-Match Thread

Worrying pattern to our losses this year that many have touched upon in here. Struggling to remember a game in which we lost and were dominated by a better side. Arsenal deserve credit for a well executed plan but we have beaten ourselves yet again through such a sloppy performance.

I do wonder how this week in the media has impacted the team. Yes the CAS result was a positive, but its been so full of negativity towards the club you need hell of a mentality not let that interfere with your game.

According to the new handball law we should have had a pen in the first half. Even if it was accidental, which I personally doubt, Xhaka's hand moves clearly towards the ball whilst he's on the ground. Of course Mcpointalot said it was accidental but that's not relevant according to the new law.

According to the new handball law we should have had a pen in the first half. Even if it was accidental, which I personally doubt, Xhaka's hand moves clearly towards the ball whilst he's on the ground. Of course Mcpointalot said it was accidental but that's not relevant according to the new law.
That’s not true. Accidental handball is only given as a foul if it leads to a goal. It’s a rule that treats attackers and defenders entirely differently, which is the most absurd thing in any rules for any sport ever.

Worrying pattern to our losses this year that many have touched upon in here. Struggling to remember a game in which we lost and were dominated by a better side. Arsenal deserve credit for a well executed plan but we have beaten ourselves yet again through such a sloppy performance.

I do wonder how this week in the media has impacted the team. Yes the CAS result was a positive, but its been so full of negativity towards the club you need hell of a mentality not let that interfere with your game.
Don’t agree. Arsenal played a simple but effective strategy to beat us (like others this season) and executed it perfectly. You have to give them credit. The strategy? Defend very compact when we have the ball, give us the wide spaces but close the channels so Dave, Raz and Kev have zero space (that’s what creates the constant recycling along the line). Encourage us to cross because our front men are small and relatively easily outjumped. Make us go high rather than low by good defensive placement on near post. When ball is retrieved move it fast and long into space and have multiple runners who can carry at pace. It only needs to work a couple of times and you have a good chance of scoring.
That we don’t have the guile to counter that is a bit worrying. Interesting to see what our ex goal stat was yesterday, I doubt it’s more than 1. As someone already posted we have problems all over the pitch, not just in defence.

Worst performance I've seen by our supposed first team in a long time. Also the second dogshit performance in a row. Unacceptable.

Everyone was shite. No ideas. No fight. No movement. No gameplan.

I don't mind when we lose but fuck watching performances like that. Another example from this season of us doing a spot on impression of van Gaal's United.

This whole season hasn't been good enough. My mind might be swayed by winning the Champions League but we've got more of a chance of getting shit out of a rocking horse because we have a League One defence.

Hopefully we'll be better next season because there are absolutely no excuses for this many lifeless performances.

I'd rather watch paint dry.

I missed the match as the match KO'd @ 4am in Sydney.

What were the main points?

CC: @shadygiz

Arteta saw Pep coming really.

First half they were 3-4-3. Pressing our defence high and man marking Silva and KDB so it forced the ball out to the flanks. We're playing inverted wingers and they packed the defence so our only attack was really to take a long time to build up down the outside of the wings, waiting for Walker and Mendy to run up and down. When crosses came in nothing fell for us or we were guilty of taking too many touches.

Second half we switched to more of a 4-4-2 shape with Sterling central and connecting midfield to Jesus. We were trying to pass through a congested centre because the wing play hadn't worked. Looked more threatening but they defended well, you csn see they'll fight for Arteta.

Finally towards the end we started playing like Dzeko was on the pitch even though all our forwards were smaller than all 3 of Arsenal's centre backs. I'd say about 20 - 30 lofted crosses and about 20-30 headers won unchallenged by David Luiz.

Arsenal deserved to win. They nullified our plan A and for a squad with our range and depth, we had no effective plan B.

Unbelievable after getting a brilliant decision on Monday morning from cas, the players have put in two abysmal performances since. You really would've thought it would give the players a major boost to kick on even more, but no it seems to have had the opposite effect. Typical City is still alive and well.

Like you I can’t think of a single game. The losses are very similar though. Packed defence, flogging away to break it down followed by speedy break outs which end up with us being punished. I’m confident Pep will come up with a solution, just hope it’s here by August.

Arteta saw Pep coming really.

First half they were 3-4-3. Pressing our defence high and man marking Silva and KDB so it forced the ball out to the flanks. We're playing inverted wingers and they packed the defence so our only attack was really to take a long time to build up down the outside of the wings, waiting for Walker and Mendy to run up and down. When crosses came in nothing fell for us or we were guilty of taking too many touches.

Second half we switched to more of a 4-4-2 shape with Sterling central and connecting midfield to Jesus. We were trying to pass through a congested centre because the wing play hadn't worked. Looked more threatening but they defended well, you csn see they'll fight for Arteta.

Finally towards the end we started playing like Dzeko was on the pitch even though all our forwards were smaller than all 3 of Arsenal's centre backs. I'd say about 20 - 30 lofted crosses and about 20-30 headers won unchallenged by David Luiz.

Arsenal deserved to win. They nullified our plan A and for a squad with our range and depth, we had no effective plan B.
We never have a plan b when we go behind, it's shown time and time again this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.