United (A) - League Cup SF | Post-Match Thread

It’s in moments like this that I genuinely feel sorry for those City fans who fail to understand the special circumstances under which the team operates this season. The reason being, they will not fully appreciate the outstanding effort, what it took to get the job done last night. Therefore, I’m not sure they understand how proud they should feel for literally all the players appearing at OT…

Everything was against City in that match (which is the story of the season anyway), the least of which was playing away an one off game. A cup semi-final with zero room for errors. Opposition had more time to recover, opposition had plenty of options available. On the other hand, Guardiola was obliged to use 9 out of the 11 players that appeared in SB 3 days ago in a highly demanding match (also away, in London), plus Riyad for the suspended Bernando and Dinho for Rodri. The latter was our only sub late in the match proceedings which speaks volumes in terms of human resources availability…

Nevertheless the manager asked for no excuses prior to the match. Commenting on his attitude in the prematch thread, I wrote “That's who he is, and that's the culture and the values of the club he represents...”. Fully aware of our limitations, I also made it clear that I would be satisfied to witness the mental approach shown vs Chelsea, win or lose, it wouldn’t matter…

By the end of the first half, I was delighted by the performance, a positive surprise, much better than anybody could expect under the circumstances. City were unquestionably dominating the game but it was still 0-0 -and it was clear that we would need fresh legs as soon as possible. Yeah, right. From whom? From where?

Physical tiredness is directly correlated to decision making. Negatively. Always negatively. You misjudge situations, you act half a second early or late and waste a promising play, and so on. A mistake you normally would avoid (and we made such ones last night, it was inevitable), that’s what it would take to stay behind in the scoreline against the run of play, we’ve witnessed it a million times. And if so, where would the players find the mental and physical strength to respond?

John’s goal early in the 2nd half gave City a well deserved lead, it was football justice on the pitch, nothing more, nothing less. And as the game went on, it soon became clear that the final result was pretty much determined, long before Dinho made it 0-2...

Was it really? In my humble opinion, 90% yes. After all it’s football, anything is possible, but if you ask me it was effectively over as soon as John found the net. Next question is obvious: Why? Let’s focus on United’s performance a bit…

I assume they had watched City in SB while preparing for the match, probably a discouraging experience. And then, the reality of the match itself, with City establishing their superiority from minute 1. We have to put ourselves in their position. Our concentration and composure were monumental last night. As the game evolved, City would be happy to keep the ball, with our players weighing and saving their energy so as to survive the whole 90’. Circulating it safely, exploring all possibilities with patience, so as to find the gap between their lines, immediately increase the pace, organize the attack…

I will repeat, we did make mistakes, it was inevitable, but our players never seemed discouraged. Fighting to retain possession the moment the ball was lost, so as to repeat the process again. And again. And again…

Whatever they had planned was cancelled in front of their eyes. Pressing high meant fuck all, our centerhalfs would rarely be forced to give the ball away. Usually returning it to Steffen who would wait for movement / options in front of him. With the box surrounded by United players, he would remain absolutely calm and composed, searching Ruben, John, a fullback. A recurring theme all night long…

What I’m trying to say is that, under these circumstances, the lack of belief became clear in their moves very soon. How many potentially promising situations, how many actions did they waste before becoming dangerous? How many cheap mistakes, misplaced passes etc? As a direct consequence, all their key players underperformed, every single one of them. Fact. Martial, Rashford, Bruno, Pogba. All below average. That’s why I said that practically they had given up as soon as John scored. City’s dominance combined with the importance of the match was already too much for them…

Final question regarding United’s performance is also pretty obvious: the OGS factor, his strategy. This is where it becomes interesting…

Regardless of the “help” they keep getting, there’s no doubt United have shown true signs of improvement lately. In terms of team chemistry, in terms of getting more and more familiar with a certain game plan etc. Consistency remains an issue, probably related to the mental aspect, as shown on several occasions this season. Also probably related to the suitability (or not) of their tactical plan on a variety of situations. OGS’s setup vs Villa however, seemed interesting. I won’t get into details, it’s beyond the purpose of this post. But I will say that, provided it’s implemented successfully, it could present a complicated proposition for the opposition, providing two things: solidity (defensively) and flexibility (offensively).

People who have watched them against Villa already know that OGS abandoned that plan -and I think it’s fair to say that his strategy sent a rather clear message to his team influencing his players’ mindset (I wonder if we will read such an analysis in the media though). Scared shit of Guardiola’s City (the only logical conclusion), he set up his team with one and only purpose, to match our formation. United remained passive throughout the match, happy to sit back and defend in numbers, in a desperate attempt to block City’s game and capitalize perhaps on one of our mistakes. I would go even further suggesting that he was probably “investing” on our physical fatigue in the later stages of the match, simply waiting for City to collapse…

His defensive plan failed 100%. Fact. Guardiola managed to assure numerical superiority in central midfield quite easily. Riyad, for example, our fresher player by default, nominally our striker, would constantly move / retreat, asking for the ball, participating in the build up etc. Joao would also position himself in midfield (like vs Chelsea, where he provided those wonderful key passes which should have been assists), and so on. Which meant 5 (3+2) vs 3 (2+1) in central midfield. At the same time, the striker area would be occupied ad hoc, by Ilkay (again, like vs Chelsea where he scored) coming from behind unmarked, Kevin (unlucky to find the post on one occasion), Raheem, Riyad. As a consequence, United seemed disjointed, unable to find the answers so as to cope with our passing game throughout the 90’…

Finally, it was City’s potential threat that made him hesitating to change the balances during the match, his substitution was introduced too late, practically had zero influence in the match proceedings. As for his second sub in 88’, the less said the better, it was the joke of the match…

Two final comments:

For the media whores:
I know that this City will never find the recognition they deserve, I’ve learnt to accept that. Still, it always bothers me watching “professionals” (who are paid to do a job) unwilling to report facts. A team missing preseason, fact. A team severely hit by COVID + injuries, 9-10 players unavailable, fact. 9/11 players used in the last 2 games in a period of 3 days, both derbies, both away, fact. City clearly dominating and deservedly winning in both games, fact.

That has nothing to do with money, you fucking idiots. It’s pure talent. A man’s vision and his knowledge to make that vision reality. It requires a world class team chemistry, players co-operating blind with each other. It requires world class off ball movement. It requires players being familiar with different positions. It requires sophisticated tactical plans. These elements (and others) are all trademarks of this City, a certain guy has worked his socks off to achieve this level of quality. Which is the reason his work will be cited long after we’re all gone…

It’s also related to an extraordinary work ethic. Last night during 2nd half, with the exception of the GK and the two CBs, all players were struggling (which became worse and worse as the game was moving on). Still not one of them ever stopped running, marking, contributing offensively as well as defensively, City never lost control of the match, it’s incredible. Give them the credit they deserve…

If such a performance was delivered by United, you would write poems, you classless miserable little people…

For our players:
Do not fucking forget this. I know what you’re facing this season. I know that your will does not match your energy levels, I know that you wanted but couldn not deliver in certain previous matches, I know how frustrating this situation is. You have to remember the 2018-19 campaign though, that’s your reference. It was mission impossible, still it was you that made it happen, an incredible achievement. It was about sacrifice then, it’s about sacrifice this season. Heart and sacrifice, the prerequisites in SB and OT. As I said in the prematch thread, show these elements and there is a good chance the quality of our game will make the difference, like it did in both cases. That is what you’re capable of…

I just do not want to experience another WBA. With the exception of 3-4 players max, we were unacceptable that evening, nobody can defend such a performance, clearly inexcusable. Plus, if we’re being honest it has happened before, on several occasions last season. For one, you deserve much better than that. And for two, there is no fucking luxury, City cannot afford dropping points silly, especially this season. Hopefully everybody has learnt his lesson…

To conclude this, joining other posters, thank you all for making us proud last night. And as I wrote prematch, following your performance, a certain dear soul is smiling from heaven...

can this be sent to the players - with our thanks to them for once more making us PROUD

It’s in moments like this that I genuinely feel sorry for those City fans who fail to understand the special circumstances under which the team operates this season. The reason being, they will not fully appreciate the outstanding effort, what it took to get the job done last night. Therefore, I’m not sure they understand how proud they should feel for literally all the players appearing at OT…

Everything was against City in that match (which is the story of the season anyway), the least of which was playing away an one off game. A cup semi-final with zero room for errors. Opposition had more time to recover, opposition had plenty of options available. On the other hand, Guardiola was obliged to use 9 out of the 11 players that appeared in SB 3 days ago in a highly demanding match (also away, in London), plus Riyad for the suspended Bernando and Dinho for Rodri. The latter was our only sub late in the match proceedings which speaks volumes in terms of human resources availability…

Nevertheless the manager asked for no excuses prior to the match. Commenting on his attitude in the prematch thread, I wrote “That's who he is, and that's the culture and the values of the club he represents...”. Fully aware of our limitations, I also made it clear that I would be satisfied to witness the mental approach shown vs Chelsea, win or lose, it wouldn’t matter…

By the end of the first half, I was delighted by the performance, a positive surprise, much better than anybody could expect under the circumstances. City were unquestionably dominating the game but it was still 0-0 -and it was clear that we would need fresh legs as soon as possible. Yeah, right. From whom? From where?

Physical tiredness is directly correlated to decision making. Negatively. Always negatively. You misjudge situations, you act half a second early or late and waste a promising play, and so on. A mistake you normally would avoid (and we made such ones last night, it was inevitable), that’s what it would take to stay behind in the scoreline against the run of play, we’ve witnessed it a million times. And if so, where would the players find the mental and physical strength to respond?

John’s goal early in the 2nd half gave City a well deserved lead, it was football justice on the pitch, nothing more, nothing less. And as the game went on, it soon became clear that the final result was pretty much determined, long before Dinho made it 0-2...

Was it really? In my humble opinion, 90% yes. After all it’s football, anything is possible, but if you ask me it was effectively over as soon as John found the net. Next question is obvious: Why? Let’s focus on United’s performance a bit…

I assume they had watched City in SB while preparing for the match, probably a discouraging experience. And then, the reality of the match itself, with City establishing their superiority from minute 1. We have to put ourselves in their position. Our concentration and composure were monumental last night. As the game evolved, City would be happy to keep the ball, with our players weighing and saving their energy so as to survive the whole 90’. Circulating it safely, exploring all possibilities with patience, so as to find the gap between their lines, immediately increase the pace, organize the attack…

I will repeat, we did make mistakes, it was inevitable, but our players never seemed discouraged. Fighting to retain possession the moment the ball was lost, so as to repeat the process again. And again. And again…

Whatever they had planned was cancelled in front of their eyes. Pressing high meant fuck all, our centerhalfs would rarely be forced to give the ball away. Usually returning it to Steffen who would wait for movement / options in front of him. With the box surrounded by United players, he would remain absolutely calm and composed, searching Ruben, John, a fullback. A recurring theme all night long…

What I’m trying to say is that, under these circumstances, the lack of belief became clear in their moves very soon. How many potentially promising situations, how many actions did they waste before becoming dangerous? How many cheap mistakes, misplaced passes etc? As a direct consequence, all their key players underperformed, every single one of them. Fact. Martial, Rashford, Bruno, Pogba. All below average. That’s why I said that practically they had given up as soon as John scored. City’s dominance combined with the importance of the match was already too much for them…

Final question regarding United’s performance is also pretty obvious: the OGS factor, his strategy. This is where it becomes interesting…

Regardless of the “help” they keep getting, there’s no doubt United have shown true signs of improvement lately. In terms of team chemistry, in terms of getting more and more familiar with a certain game plan etc. Consistency remains an issue, probably related to the mental aspect, as shown on several occasions this season. Also probably related to the suitability (or not) of their tactical plan on a variety of situations. OGS’s setup vs Villa however, seemed interesting. I won’t get into details, it’s beyond the purpose of this post. But I will say that, provided it’s implemented successfully, it could present a complicated proposition for the opposition, providing two things: solidity (defensively) and flexibility (offensively).

People who have watched them against Villa already know that OGS abandoned that plan -and I think it’s fair to say that his strategy sent a rather clear message to his team influencing his players’ mindset (I wonder if we will read such an analysis in the media though). Scared shit of Guardiola’s City (the only logical conclusion), he set up his team with one and only purpose, to match our formation. United remained passive throughout the match, happy to sit back and defend in numbers, in a desperate attempt to block City’s game and capitalize perhaps on one of our mistakes. I would go even further suggesting that he was probably “investing” on our physical fatigue in the later stages of the match, simply waiting for City to collapse…

His defensive plan failed 100%. Fact. Guardiola managed to assure numerical superiority in central midfield quite easily. Riyad, for example, our fresher player by default, nominally our striker, would constantly move / retreat, asking for the ball, participating in the build up etc. Joao would also position himself in midfield (like vs Chelsea, where he provided those wonderful key passes which should have been assists), and so on. Which meant 5 (3+2) vs 3 (2+1) in central midfield. At the same time, the striker area would be occupied ad hoc, by Ilkay (again, like vs Chelsea where he scored) coming from behind unmarked, Kevin (unlucky to find the post on one occasion), Raheem, Riyad. As a consequence, United seemed disjointed, unable to find the answers so as to cope with our passing game throughout the 90’…

Finally, it was City’s potential threat that made him hesitating to change the balances during the match, his substitution was introduced too late, practically had zero influence in the match proceedings. As for his second sub in 88’, the less said the better, it was the joke of the match…

Two final comments:

For the media whores:
I know that this City will never find the recognition they deserve, I’ve learnt to accept that. Still, it always bothers me watching “professionals” (who are paid to do a job) unwilling to report facts. A team missing preseason, fact. A team severely hit by COVID + injuries, 9-10 players unavailable, fact. 9/11 players used in the last 2 games in a period of 3 days, both derbies, both away, fact. City clearly dominating and deservedly winning in both games, fact.

That has nothing to do with money, you fucking idiots. It’s pure talent. A man’s vision and his knowledge to make that vision reality. It requires a world class team chemistry, players co-operating blind with each other. It requires world class off ball movement. It requires players being familiar with different positions. It requires sophisticated tactical plans. These elements (and others) are all trademarks of this City, a certain guy has worked his socks off to achieve this level of quality. Which is the reason his work will be cited long after we’re all gone…

It’s also related to an extraordinary work ethic. Last night during 2nd half, with the exception of the GK and the two CBs, all players were struggling (which became worse and worse as the game was moving on). Still not one of them ever stopped running, marking, contributing offensively as well as defensively, City never lost control of the match, it’s incredible. Give them the credit they deserve…

If such a performance was delivered by United, you would write poems, you classless miserable little people…

For our players:
Do not fucking forget this. I know what you’re facing this season. I know that your will does not match your energy levels, I know that you wanted but couldn not deliver in certain previous matches, I know how frustrating this situation is. You have to remember the 2018-19 campaign though, that’s your reference. It was mission impossible, still it was you that made it happen, an incredible achievement. It was about sacrifice then, it’s about sacrifice this season. Heart and sacrifice, the prerequisites in SB and OT. As I said in the prematch thread, show these elements and there is a good chance the quality of our game will make the difference, like it did in both cases. That is what you’re capable of…

I just do not want to experience another WBA. With the exception of 3-4 players max, we were unacceptable that evening, nobody can defend such a performance, clearly inexcusable. Plus, if we’re being honest it has happened before, on several occasions last season. For one, you deserve much better than that. And for two, there is no fucking luxury, City cannot afford dropping points silly, especially this season. Hopefully everybody has learnt his lesson…

To conclude this, joining other posters, thank you all for making us proud last night. And as I wrote prematch, following your performance, a certain dear soul is smiling from heaven...

Stands and applauds. That Sir was a fucking masterpiece.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.