Australian General Politics Thread

There were people waist deep in floodwater in this country centuries ago and their will be again in the centuries to come.

The only difference is that there are more of them because there are a lot more living rooms.

The point you miss is that was not the case in a lot of these places until recent years and many people baling out the garage find it hard to support a climate change denier when the threat to where they live alternates between record high temps leading to bush fires then record high temps leading to flooding.

From what I read where Morrison was mostly hurt was his insistence in concentrating on his own "red wall" mining areas to maintain support at the expense of his traditional support in the more affluent areas who went over the the Teal parties - wonder if the Tories are taking note?

The rise of the independent political movements over there has led to this.

We're too fucking brainwashes to organise and do the same.

Oh I don't know - there are many Leavers - Tories - dare I say disappointed UKIPPERS looking around for an independent place to lodge a vote having realised they have been dry bummed by Johnson and the Conservatives

Reactions: mat
The point you miss is that was not the case in a lot of these places until recent years and many people baling out the garage find it hard to support a climate change denier when the threat to where they live alternates between record high temps leading to bush fires then record high temps leading to flooding.

From what I read where Morrison was mostly hurt was his insistence in concentrating on his own "red wall" mining areas to maintain support at the expense of his traditional support in the more affluent areas who went over the the Teal parties - wonder if the Tories are taking note?
There's quite a few reasons for him being booted imo. Massive gaffes, he went on holiday during the Bushfires to Hawaii and was slow to return. His famous quote "I don't hold a hose mate" still resonates with millions.
He stuffed up during covid being months too slow to get vaccines, effectively shutting down Australia to the rest of the world for a year. An interest rate rise during the election campaign.
Women don't like him much, in fact not many do.
His moniker has changed from Scomo to Smirko in recent weeks. When answering questions he had an irritating, constant smirk on his face.
He's done well with the economy though. But that is secondary to many.
I expect a return to Liberals in 3 years.

I suggest you look back into history blue and start with the early seventies when Lismore was under higher flood waters.

Most bushfires are caused by lightning strikes , arsonists , cigarettes and a build up of fuel and an unwillingness to remove that fuel in an efficient manner plus some ludicrous red tape that doesn't allow for proper clearing in native forests for example.

its like our ludicrous laws to ban nuclear plants that we should have been building many decades ago when it was much cheaper and could compliment the incredible work done out of Lucas Heights.

Their highest 5 year temperature average were recorded over a century ago.

Climate warming is real but to link it to floods and fire is not based in science and our chief scientist has alluded to this fact.

I can assure you the floods and bushfires and drought in this country will continue long after we decarbonise.

You may not have heard of Cyclone Tracy which occurred long before Al Gore went to University.

What we don't so well is mitigate well and use for example the skill of our first nations people that lived with fire flood and drought in this country long before the English began to inhabit it.

What we don't do well is build to the climate but we won't see the rich and pompous selling their harbourside mansions or their C02 guzzling lifestyles all we will see is them spouting we must take action on climate change and that includes all those Teal and Green phonies very few of them true Conservationists happy to continue to emblazon their fossil fuel driven lifestyles.

As the former Labour Bill Shorten said the affluent areas of Melbourne , Sydney and Brisbane having been going Green and Teal went Green and Teal because the vast majority of them are affluent and have little to worry about.

They are taking votes off Labour as well in ever increasing numbers.

They particularly the Teals stand for little in reality and have little real empathy and will to change for the better for all and don't care about anybody but themselves but will be the first to complain if the lights go out.

they were funded by a self righteous pompous son of our first billionaire who didn't want to run for parliament himself the last impacted by food shortage and increasing power prices and I suggest you look at some of the reasons why the gap between the rich and the poor is ever increasing with the power and wealth in the hands of elites that levy government to make them richer at the expense of those that place them into Canberra.

Morrison was a weak leader and he had to go although I have little faith in Labour and the vast majority of those struggling and many of those wishing a better life for their children will struggle and living standards for those will continue to deteriorate.

Labour are coming from a primary vote of 32 per cent yes 32 per cent their lowest primary since 1910 could you imagine Biden being in office with a 32 per cent primary vote in the US.

Last edited:
There's quite a few reasons for him being booted imo. Massive gaffes, he went on holiday during the Bushfires to Hawaii and was slow to return. His famous quote "I don't hold a hose mate" still resonates with millions.
He stuffed up during covid being months too slow to get vaccines, effectively shutting down Australia to the rest of the world for a year. An interest rate rise during the election campaign.
Women don't like him much, in fact not many do.
His moniker has changed from Scomo to Smirko in recent weeks. When answering questions he had an irritating, constant smirk on his face.
He's done well with the economy though. But that is secondary to many.
I expect a return to Liberals in 3 years.
they didn't stand for much Bill and hence made it a personality war highlighting Albo's gaffes regarding the unemployment rate , the fact he didn't understand his own NDIS policy , didn't know the cash rate or had forgotten his brief time and again culminating in the fact on National Television he thought that the borders were still closed (LOL).

People are disillusioned with the 2 party system in Australia hence Labour winning government after 9 years of fussing and fighting amongst their own factions deciding how far Left can they go to appease the Greens which they never will with a primary vote of 32 per cent 4 per cent lower than the Liberals who can never win unless they obtain at least 40 per cent of the primary vote under our voting rules and even then its not given.

Australia like many countries in the West are in for a rough road.

We have had low death rates from covid to date compared to most other countries , the highest vaccinated rates and the economy has been going along ok with 50 year low unemployment but an ideology of culture wars , climate activism ( as opposed to the science of climate warming and what to do about it in a positive and sensible way ) and other transitions from their more affluent base getting caught up in non core base issues and not putting them to bed a lot earlier have cost the Liberal Party this election.

As you say Morrison was on the nose with woman particularly those between 35 and 55 and the results will show and its no coincidence that the vast majority of the 15-20 seats they lost were lost to woman candidates.

Every one of the Teal candidates was a woman funded by a billionaire son with nothing to do with his time other than attack Conservative and Moderate seats with Climate Change mantra and Integrity Commission clap trap.

I asked a dozen Teal voters ( most of them first time voters )if they could even give me a rudimentary definition of the climate and they all either refused to answer or confused it with the weather which tells me all I need to know about the level of education standards and its continued deterioration in this country.

They were all told to hate Morrison and fair enough he has been weak on may issues so after 9 years of Liberal Government good bad or indifferent their time was nigh as is the case in OZ politics unless you stand for something and separate yourself from the rest.

Morrison was just a better salesman than his Labour Counterpart in this campaign and a number in the electorate had grown tired of it.

Last edited:

Only 68 per cent of the vote , chose the two major parties as their first vote and one thing I noted when voting in my own electorate which has a large Asian component ( at least 25 per cent ) was the complete absence of these voters.

Now some of them would have voted postal , prior to auction day etc but with a nominal fine of 20 dollars for not voting many of these who own more than one home would not have voted at all.

I suspect once the count is completed and the stats are released this election will have a record number of donkey and non voters despite the fact voting is " compulsory " which wouldn't have favoured Morrison either.

the quiet Australians were pissed off this time with his back flip of Net Zero 2050 which really means nothing in real terms but showed him to be a bit of a hypocrite despite the reality that while we seem to have missed the boat on Nuclear providing much of energy needs , renewables certainly for the remainder of this century are not a viable alternative on mass.

Will be interesting how Europe copes in the next 60 years if they think they keep the lights on and maintain food production for a growing human population without Nuclear , Gas and Coal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.