It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

All this talk amongst the fans of two holding midfielders in the starting lineup. I really don't expect that's going to be a thing very often.

Every year people want to fuck about with a winning formula, adding an extra defensive player, playing three at the back or whatever else. Realistically, we just make minor tweaks every year and that's not a minor one. You'd be sacrificing way too much on the offensive end.

I really can't see us starting Rodri and Phillips very often because I don't see the point. At all.

We might see it on the odd occasion, probably more likely later in the second half against opponents we're wary of but other than that... why?
The squad constantly evolves. Going by your logic why bother changing a winning formula with the Haaland purchase?

Pep needs options in certain games. Rodri and Phillips could form an outstanding partnership when needed. No way is kavlin moving to not play unless Rodri is injured.

Maybe pep will want to shore up the counter atttacks against us this season. Utilising the 5th sub rule to see out games.

Explained why I don't think we would need to.

Stones and Dias.

Stones and Laporte.

Dias and Laporte.

One player covers absences for either side.

You would need Stones and Laporte to be injured at the same time for an issue to arise.
Not really. Youd only need one to be injured and then youre rotating in makeshift CBs on our every 3 day schedule

2 players for every position and for them to all be players Pep has confidence in

Going by your logic why bother changing a winning formula with the Haaland purchase?

That's just nonsense. The only reason anyone thought the Haaland transfer went against any formula was because people had this silly idea in their heads about what a "Pep player" was.

Pep needs options in certain games. Rodri and Phillips could form an outstanding partnership when needed. No way is kavlin moving to not play unless Rodri is injured.

He'll be playing to rotate, the same reason we have players like Ake and Zinchenko in the squad and to provide competition to keep Rodri on his toes.

Does anyone seriously think we're going to be dropping the best defensive midfielder in the league for any significant amount of time, unless he gets injured or loses form?

And for those saying he'll be starting alongside Rodri, who is Kalvin Phillips going to be replacing out of the attacking players? Bernardo, De Bruyne, Foden, Haaland, Mahrez or Grealish? It's just not going to happen. We need players like Kalvin Phillips because the season is long and a lot of shit happens along the way.

That doesn't mean he only ever plays when Rodri is injured, it just means our plan for next season isn't going to be a mid-noughties revival 4231 because that makes absolutely no sense on any level.

That's just nonsense. The only reason anyone thought the Haaland transfer went against any formula was because people had this silly idea in their heads about what a "Pep player" was.

He'll be playing to rotate, the same reason we have players like Ake and Zinchenko in the squad and to provide competition to keep Rodri on his toes.

Does anyone seriously think we're going to be dropping the best defensive midfielder in the league for any significant amount of time, unless he gets injured or loses form?

And for those saying he'll be starting alongside Rodri, who is Kalvin Phillips going to be replacing out of the attacking players? Bernardo, De Bruyne, Foden, Haaland, Mahrez or Grealish? It's just not going to happen. We need players like Kalvin Phillips because the season is long and a lot of shit happens along the way.

That doesn't mean he only ever plays when Rodri is injured, it just means our plan for next season isn't going to be a mid-noughties revival 4231 because that makes absolutely no sense on any level.
I will wait to see how pep utilises Phillips but I would not be surprised to see Rodri & Phillips start together. Ake was brought into replace stones until he turned it around. Zin fair enough is used to cover multiple positions. Haaland coming in changes our approach slightly and I would not be surprised to see an attacking player sacrificed at times to accommodate this change. Philips if he settles will play more than many on here believe. Throw injuries into the mix.

I will wait to see how pep utilises Phillips but I would not be surprised to see Rodri & Phillips start together. Ake was brought into replace stones until he turned it around. Zin fair enough is used to cover multiple positions. Haaland coming in changes our approach slightly and I would not be surprised to see an attacking player sacrificed at times to accommodate this change. Philips if he settles will play more than many on here believe. Throw injuries into the mix.
Which position does Zinchenko cover apart from left back?

So as it stands

Done: Haaland, Alvarez

Incoming:
  1. Phillips - all done baring the shouting
  2. Cucurella - looks a definite target BUT depending on who you listen to, he could either be almost done or still a long way off
  3. Ortega - keeper from Bundesleague - never seen him...no idea if he is any good but he is a free transfer so nothing to really lose
Outgoings:
  1. Jesus - all done baring the shouting to Arsenal
  2. Ferna - gone
  3. Sterling - real possibility to Chelsea 50m ish
  4. Ake - rumours about going to Chelski as well - 50m ish

If both sterling and Jesus leave - we may or may not get someone - "we have a potential big iron in the fire" according to TH...but no one has an idea who it could really be

If Ake leaves, we probably wont replace him

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.