Istanbul CL Final chaos | City Matters statement (p 133)

I’m inclined to agree with you on this. Greatest night in the club’s history and I was there to witness it. Was on a complete high after the game so an extra few hours or so to get back to downtown Istanbul wasn’t an issue for me. In no way did it spoil the night and when we got back to the bar in Yenikapi I’d say that was the finest few hours I’ve ever experienced following City.

There was some angry fuckers on the bus though, which was surprising given what we’d just achieved.
This isn't about the "craic" though and "it wasn't an issue for me" is a pretty shit way of dismissing fellow Blues for whom it was a very big issue. Those less fortunate than the majority, those less able than the majority and those of advancing years, who were put in danger by an organisation who are not fit to stage these global events.

It's about OUR club not publicly acknowledging the dangerous position City fans were presented with, primarily after the match. Its about OUR club cosying up to UEFA and disregarding the genuine concerns of its supporters. Its about OUR club selling us down the river, as it does now on a regular basis.

It's also about the safeguarding of future Blues. We will no doubt be in many more CL finals over the next few decades. UEFA have now been given a free pass to treat City's support in any which way they choose, because OUR club were complicite in brushing the events of Istanbul 2023, under the UEFA carpet.

So, in 50 years time, when you are less able and faced with a wasteland of a buspark with no lighting, or signage, or UEFA stewarding, or water.....just remember it could've been so different if only OUR club had stood side by side with its supporters in 2024.

I don’t like uefa (understatement of the century) but how did uefa “allow duplication to happen”? The only way I assume duplication happened was by the criminal act of forgery?
If you produce something like a cup final ticket, for an elite tournament, use dynamic codes like we had at Istanbul. Complex BUT the technology was there before. UEFA have been seen to have been hacked and printables replicated before. Long before Scousers went Paris

Expected nothing else tbh. They dont give a shit about us. Would have taken somebody dying for any kind of public acknowledgement to occur.

organisation was a genuine disgrace. I had suffered nasty Sunstroke the day before, was already feeling quite weak after barely recovering from illness in the week before flying out, none of that is uefas doing but i then got stuck on one of those buses after being told no food or drink was allowed on them for hours without water or somewhere to piss and without even being allowed off them when we decided walking would be a much better alternative. Essentially imprisoned in a sauna and left to dehydrate.

when we eventually arrived at the ground hours later, we still couldn't get access to water because everything outside the ground had sold out or stopped serving to get everybody into the ground and the horrendous facilities in the ground had hour+ at a minimum long queues. I couldn't physically stand in them and was also unwilling to miss most of the match for it.

It completely fucked me up for the game, mouth was often too dry to produce noise when trying to sing and had to regularly sit down due to bouts of dizziness and fear of passing out. Im certain the sheer joy of winning and the adrenaline of that was the only thing that got me through that day without collapsing and when I looked around, I saw loads of people who all looked equally as fucked as me. Even the atmosphere that night was one of the entire crowd, both us and inter being knackered.

It didnt ruin it for me but it did tarnish it a bit. i certainly dont have great memories of the build up as you'd likely expect from somebody watching their club win their first champions league.

I'm fortunate I'm relatively healthy, young-ish and generally in okay nick. I'm certain other more vulnerable people had it much worse than I did and God only knows how there wasn't any fatalities.

Going back, i had managed to get water after the game and we won so i didnt care one bit at the time but it was somehow even more disorganised looking back.

Pitch black with no lighting on uneven rocky floor was asking for trouble then the complete chaos with the buses had to be borderline criminal. Having people literally running around a busy car park In darkness from bus to bus looking for one that was going where you wanted and had space was like something out of a disaster movie when panic sets in.

Bus drivers parked up with engine and lights off on empty buses not knowing themselves what or where they're supposed to be going. We ended up getting on a bus because I spoke to the driver of one who told us he didn't know where he was going but then told us he wasn't going to the place we wanted to go to. I queried how he knew that he wasnt going to where we wanted to go if he didn't know where he was going, which stumped him then myself and a few others that were looking for buses going to the same place essentially told him he was going where we wanted to go and he said okay and let us all pile on before having us sit in a pitch black makeshift carpark for several hours until traffic finally started moving again.

If we had lost and experienced that same shitshow, it would not have gone well at all.

Even the buses from the airport the morning of the game were dreadful. We flew into istanbul overnight from antalya, declined the opportunity to book airport travel with our hotel to save a bit of money and uefa were heavily encouraging us to use their free coaches.

We got there before the coaches were scheduled to start so had a little wait, nobody around to tell us where exactly to go or give any information, only big signs that lead us outside. queues started to form around us, it hits the time the first coach was due, still not an official in sight, we wait, and wait, most of the people who arrived around the time we did have since given up by the time it's an hour over when they should have started and were jumping in taxi's.

two buses finally arrived together nearly 2 hours after the first one was due and should have been over half a dozen of them by now. Queues were significantly shorter now after so many gave up waiting and because there wasnt enough to completely fill both buses they refused to allow anybody on or to move until they had enough (ive no idea why) I wasn't really bothered about the wait as our flight had been bumped forward so we hadn't planned to be there that early anyway which is why we just waited but the disorganisation was pathetic and should have set alarm bells for what was to come.

I had a top trip overall, something I'll never ever forget but every single part of the uefa organised side of my trip was abysmal without exception and for them not to make a public acceptance is an insult.

All comments and observations noted.

How does this now get escalated, and vigorously campaigned beyond UEFA,City & football,to government foreign office level.

Citizens of HMKs Government lives were endangered by 'criminal' negligence, some could have been coming home in body bags.....what then ??

This must not be allowed to die on the hill of apathy.

What to do & how to do it ??

If this happened to the dippers it would be big news, all over the media. Ad it’s us it’s been barely acknowledged, even by our own fucking club. Nothing will take away the joy of that night but the transport arrangements had a fucking good go

All comments and observations noted.

How does this now get escalated, and vigorously campaigned beyond UEFA,City & football,to government foreign office level.

Citizens of HMKs Government lives were endangered by 'criminal' negligence, some could have been coming home in body bags.....what then ??

This must not be allowed to die on the hill of apathy.

What to do & how to do it ??

Black flags?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.