52 | Oscar Bobb - 2023/24

But Foden didn't, instead he managed to become the best LW in that season and that's why Phil plays for City and Palmer plays for Chelsea..

Bobb is young player, I get what Pep's doing with him..

When you are left footed, it's easy to play RW. get ball, cut inside, a lot of space to use. Nothing new and difficult, do what you were doing at academy, what was your natural position since like 6-7 years old. But there is little room for improvement, there is no challenge and therefore you can't improve player like that.

LW is different, small spaces, not that easy to cut inside, you have to overcome challenges and find out weaknesses you had, which you never thought about..
But if player manages to work a lot, train a lot, think a lot and eventually improve and deliver stable results, it means that he will be more useful as a RW later, cause he will have experience of difficult position and using small spaces..

Imagine if Pep played Foden his natural position from the beginning.. Would he be the same player he is now ? I don't think so. That hard life and Pep's exercises, made him stronger..

Cause City is the treble-winner team. This kind of team needs not only good players, but the best ones. The best ones are crafted by these kind of lessons.

Personally I don't think he's playing kids wide for their development. Maybe partly I guess. I feel it's more because he doesn't fully trust them to play centrally yet.

He's happier to accept players making mistakes wide 1v1 than he is them making mistakes in deeper positions centrally. When they earn that trust, they can move to the middle.

Personally I don't think he's playing kids wide for their development. Maybe partly I guess. I feel it's more because he doesn't fully trust them to play centrally yet.

He's happier to accept players making mistakes wide 1v1 than he is them making mistakes in deeper positions centrally. When they earn that trust, they can move to the middle.
Well, maybe that's another reason..

But issue is that if player, playing with left foot on a left wing, manages to learn that position and delivers stable results, it means that he is eligible for RW position as well..

Cause he has to learn to hold on to the ball in small spaces. It's easy when you have pace like Sane, in that case you just kick the ball straight and engage in pace battle with the fullback, but if you are more of a technical player like Foden or Palmer or Oscar, you can't do that, you have to turn around, hold the ball, endure physical battle with the opponent.

That's the part where player learns not to loose the ball...

Attacking wise, as I side above, when pace isn't your main skill, you have to depend on your brain.
Like.. make smart runs and choose the best positions to outsmart defenders.
Learn how to find defenders at their most vulnerable and dribble / risk only in that cases, otherwise you loose the ball.
And etc.

So in the end if such player succeeds as a LW, he is more than ready to play RW and central positions, cause he already has those skills that's needed..

And yes, for Pep that's Win-Win situation..
1) Player improved
2) Until that happens, you give him role, where player's incompetence hurts you less..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.