North Stand Expansion

Looking at that, and the rest of that document, they all show the new supports in place. It is the bit inbetween, how and when they take away the old that I am more intrigued by. How they physically shoogle them out of all that, etc. But there will be lots more to see over time.

They are piling in two phases, one before the back stays are removed, and after.

Hopefully somebody will catch that happening during the build?

As somebody who has never worked in the construction industry, thanks for your insight and take on the construction of the new North stand. Interesting reading. That goes for other people as well.

You can really start to see the shape and what goes where. What is really interesting is how close they are having to work to the existing main structure.

There are 4 supports for the roof. The two smaller ones are staying, and they are working tight around them. The two bigger ones from what I have seen to date will be replaced. And you can see how tight the foundations are to them. Be really interesting to see how they manage it. At this point, I can't yet see how they build the new supports with the exiting ones where they are, to then be able to remove them. What format the temporary (main) support and where it goes, that then allows the new to be built around it, will be intriguing. Or whether they just manage part of the roof being off for a period while they swap the supports.

The south stand didn't really have this issue as the two main supports were not removed, they were just added to and built around.

I think they’re staying in that the new extension will be built around them in the same way the as happened with the South Stand. I’d have thought the old supports would be needed to keep the OG cable net in tack.

Renders showing the old cable net hanging above the South Stand and new North Stand.

IMG_6807.jpeg

Just looking at the planning statement again lol, WATG makes some fancy hotels, would not mind this next to the stadium lol minus the pools.

@Coatigan

Its a pity they don't have there own planning application to see what they are planning

I think they’re staying in that the new extension will be built around them in the same way the as happened with the South Stand. I’d have thought the old supports would be needed to keep the OG cable net in tack.

Renders showing the old cable net hanging above the South Stand and new North Stand.

View attachment 109459

I did genuinely think that myself initially, and tried to see whether that was the case previously.

But the drawings and diagrams don't show them, and the documents do definitely state the old supports would be removed, and are noted in the programme and phasing.

Screen grabbed this from the PA.

Click to enlarge so the picture and image are bigger and clearer.

View attachment 109450
That graphic makes it easier to understand the concept and implementation behind the North Stand development, rather than it being just a botch or South Stand copy. It will additionally provide unrivalled fans facilities shared with Co-op live to become the foundation for a true destination attraction unlike any other.

Wembley ihas been a template showcase stadium that has proved hard to sustain economically. Arsenal built a budget version based on premium price admission. Spurs built a similar multi-purpose stadium to increase use and exploit London demand that has gained plaudits but it still has limitations on its use.

West Hams London Stadium shows how not to develop a legacy Olympic athletics event, despite every advantage being gifted in place with land and infrastructure?

The much vaunted Old Trafford and Anfield stadiums offer capacity with nostalgia but little else. Both are history clubs offering an outdated past experience that modern fans will not be keen to repeat. Any development of St James Park or Villa Park will be costly steps into the unknown albeit currently under review. Attending at the Etihad offers unrivalled facilities, comfort and views for all.

Looking at major European stadiums. Germany has updated traditional grounds particularly at Bayern Munich, Dortmund and Schalke with the Berlin Stadium still with echoes of the pre-war Olympics including an athletics track. The German model is failing economically and competitively.

The Spanish giants are also going for showcase stadia whilst the Italians have been left behind. Of the other major leagues, France has no solutions.

The English climate and latitude pose different problems with light and weather issues, especially in Manchester which is also without the economic and other advantages of London and many of our European competitors.

It was hard to envisage the CFA being built on contaminated derelict ground next to the Etihad rather than on out of town green field land as the usual option. It has become recognised as a World Class facility and a template for others. The concept behind the North Stand is looks even more revolutionary.

It is 10 years since the South Stand Development. The North Stand Development is a different scale. If City continue on this trajectory, no doubt in 10 years we can expect a 80k stadium as well as stuff our owners are already planning.

The golf saying “drive for show, put for dough” comes to mind. Setting apart design aesthetics, the North Stand development increasingly looks like it will be best in class for fans as well as for MCFC/CFG and as a part of a destination to benefit Manchester.

I did genuinely think that myself initially, and tried to see whether that was the case previously.

But the drawings and diagrams don't show them, and the documents do definitely state the old supports would be removed, and are noted in the programme and phasing.

Interesting.

If they can install less intrusive supports for the original cable net then maybe this is something which could be done to help expand the sides.

Hopefully somebody will catch that happening during the build?

As somebody who has never worked in the construction industry, thanks for your insight and take on the construction of the new North stand. Interesting reading. That goes for other people as well.

If anyone is going to catch it happening during the build, it will be you pal ;).

Of course, it is just how tight all that is. The new steel needs to be built around the stays, their angle and bracing. Then they themselves need kerplunked inbetween the new steel.

Kerplunked :) That made me laugh.

Yeah, I was looking through the plans yesterday as I thought you were wrong about removing the old supports (either that or I'd just never considered it). They're definitely new supports on top of the build so it's going to be interesting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.