Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 16 - Spaced Out - RobMCFC (pg 338)

Not been on this thread before but looking back wish I had found it earlier. It popped up today as I checked 'What's New. So if it is an open post kinda thing I would like to suggest a Northern Soul Classic as my first ever selection for the current theme of Love.

Do I Love You (Indeed I do) Frank Wilson

Based on your first pick you should definitely post regularly :-)

I saw him on those tours as well. The rumours were they didn't plug his guitar in as he couldn't remember the songs that well!!

Well, I'm not sure it was ever really his forte he often looked like someone had just stuck that white Gibson in his hands and he had no clue what to do with it. Didn't stop him being a great frontman imo.

I had a short chat with Mike and Rusty after one of the gigs and to my eternal shame I tried to get them to spill the beans on what it was like playing with him but it was actually quite sweet how guarded/protective they were of him because by all accounts he was a pain in the arse a lot of the time. After it all went south I was glad they straightened things up with him before he died and are still playing the music today with JE, they're back in town in July.

Going to ditch my original pick for today as I've just noticed that the playlist is virtually all blokes singing about love. So to rebalance the books a bit I'm going with a Goffin/King song.
...and Cyndi welcomes the company. ;-)
Probably the best know version is Dusty Springfield's but I think in trying to make it a bit darker it comes off as a bit morose whereas the version I've picked is more up tempo with a lovely rolling feel to the rhythm section.

I Can't Make It Alone - Maria McKee

Maria McKee (at least for a while) disowned the album this came from as being a bit too polished and polite (which it probably is compared to the prior lone justice stuff) but it's got some cracking songs on it and three covers, of which this is one, that all stand up brilliantly to the originals.
Yes, lots of Dusty versions, but this sounds very nice. Nice harmonies.

Final Choice, but I might cheat and add a few optional ones like Coats lol

Bright Eyes ‘First Day of My Life’

Final Choice, but I might cheat and add a few optional ones like Coats lol

Bright Eyes ‘First Day of My Life’

It is not 'cheating', see below highlighted below. Perfectly within the pixelates lines drawn by VAR, and the interpretation of the amended rulebook.

Do we then have any volunteers for next Monday? We are back to the start of a round and anyone can go anytime. There is no order, first shout first go.

Think we will try a more reduced format though, as a few have noted that on average 70 songs a fortnight is a lot to get through or meaningfully take in.

Per Rob's suggestion, lets try:
- whoever sets the theme opens with 5 songs.
- everyone else contributes up to 3 during the first week, still one a day.
- whoever set it can close with a song should they wish to, once they see how the week has gone.
- second week gives time to listen what might end up beind 20-25 songs.

Might force us to be more selective. There may be days when nothing happens, nobody adds anything. Might find ourselves listening to the songs more, giving them more time. I would still encourage discussion and mentioning of other songs we think are pertinent to the theme and chat, as recommendations or comparisons for others to try in their own time. Which has been happening already. They don't get added to the playlist, but are there for anyone interested enough to try for themselves. If it turns out that we miss the volume of it or the routine of a daily rummage through our collections, we can agree to go back to that in another round, but lets give this a meaningful go and see.

As for ones that didn't make the cut for me...

Firstly a few very obvious ones, discounted because they were too obvious

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face – Ewan MacColl or Roberta Flack
(I could happily make a case for this being the greatest love song ever written)

The Beach Boys – God Only Knows
(The other record I could happily make a case for being the greatest love song ever written)

Echo and The Bunnymen – The Killing Moon
(Got a brilliantly romantic vibe to it)

Otis Redding – pretty much everything he ever recorded
(thought about nominating Tramp as an example of when love is less than smooth)

Death Cab For Cutie - I will Follow You Into The Dark
(I like love songs with a bit of existential angst in them)

A few (maybe) less obvious ones that crossed my mind..

Vic Chesnut – Flirted With You All My Life
(Not a love song at all but sort of is. Subverts the use of a ‘love song’ for other purposes)

The Black Keys – Tighten Up
(If it’s a blusey love song it’s got to have the word “ache” in there – them’s the rules)

Nick Cave / PJ Jarvey – Henry Lee
(By definition most murder ballads are love songs)

Dar Williams – The One Who Knows
(Somewhat impressively written by someone who at the time didn’t have children of her own)

Big Mama Thornton – Hound Dog
(How that song is supposed to sound - again when love breaks down)

Loads of others but we'd be here all week!

Last edited:
Question.

You Tube Music is my go to app. No Spotify. Is there a version of these playlists at YT?

No sadly not. You can export playlists from Spotify to YT Music, it's a bit of a faff though.

If there was enough demand for a YT version I might commit to building the parallel playlist as they come in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.