Does anyone else feel like this?

re "New fans", There is a distinctive trend now at games and its almost certainly a
reflection of changes in society. Undoubtedly age related (like me) if you are bothered about it.
Its starting to remind me of an experience I had about twenty years ago in Canada.
I managed to get a tourist ticket to a big NHL hockey game. I was gobsmacked by what was going on around me, lets just say most people were busy doing there own thing, chit chatting, stuffing their faces with huge snacks and kind of observing the hockey with one eye whilst socializing with friends. A couple behind me were on a date and it was cringing listening to them, "how long have you felt this way about me..., ever since the first moment I saw you". i was dying inside. If something happened on the rink there would be a response from the crowd but most people quickly went back to eating and talking. This was before smart phones !. When there was a time out on the rink a robotic arm started to circulate the arena roof dropping random envelopes into the crowd. These contained prizes from sponsors, some of them fantastic holidays and even cars. The crowd were far more into the "robotic arm" than the hockey, it was a completely bizarre night out. The team in question, Vancouver Canucks, had sold out every game for years and were kind of mediocre. I was told I was really lucky to get a ticket.

Last edited:
This thread really should be about the away match experience as I don't see huge differences in the home match experience in the last few years. Obviously it's not like the 60s or 70s but that wouldn't be acceptable for the majority of people these days anyway. Pitched battles, Victorian style 'facilities' and quagmire pitches aren't a big attraction I'd suggest.

The atmosphere at many games isn't exactly a cauldron of noise but I think people look back with rose tinted glasses at some very dark and dreadful times. The alternative is the manufactured 'atmosphere' like in Germany where they act like it's a set piece Nazi rally with no genuine excitement at all.

I've had my season ticket for 20 years, I too have recently had a child and I also live in Marple.

Trains to MCR I find are fine. There are two stations we can use and we can also get off at Ashburys on some of them. However, after a game, using the train can be a pain in the arse if you're wanting to get home quickly.

As someone has mentioned, Marple OSC run transport (I've never used them though so can't comment on availability etc) plus I know of a small group of blues that run a 16 seater from the Marple Tavern. PM me if you want me to put you in touch with them.

I'm also happy to offer you a lift to the game now and again. I don't drive on Saturday games though as I go for a few beers in town beforehand but any Sunday games or some midweek I tend to drive. I park near to Ashburys Station and am usually home within an hour of the game finishing. Again, if interested, PM me.

Appreciate that mate, I have been told about the Ashbury stop, i'll give that a go next time.

Thanks again for the offer!

I posted this in the general thread (Hammers season ticket holder over 30 years)
Tourist fans are not one of my reasons.

I won't be renewing my season ticket for the first time in 32 years !

various reasons -

1. I can go to any game anyway at the Hammers, most easy to get on website individually and as a member and i know loads that have ST that always selling
2. Just don't enjoy going! can't be arsed getting the train and the cost, sitting around moaning fans and have not enjoyed it for a long time now (ironically in a period for us Hammers that has been great)
3. My dad died few months ago - he was really the only reason i continued to renew my ST, didn't want him sitting on his own.
4. TV coverage is really good, we all knock Sky/TNT etc but i find them great channels to view games. Going to pretty much every home game, travelling to most stadiums in the country - i am more than happy if someone wants to now label me as an armchair fan.
5. rather go pub some games, be around mates that i can have a laugh with and if we're getting stuffed i can go play pool and have a beer instead.
6. My enthusiasm has gone really - if we lose we lose. if we win then great. It's all out my hands. can't be arsed wasting life getting enraged about a defeat or VAR decision.
7. I got newborn and a kid, travel alot with work, run alot of races, lifes too busy.

I don't have any problems with the club and tickets, I've got a ST in SSL3 and i'm in the cup schemes, the cost is relatively low for the quality of the football. My ticket auto renews every year and I can transfer a ticket to mates and family with a few clicks on my phone. It's great. I reckon most people are in a similar boat.

I don't however think me or anyone else has a right to be at every away game, if anything I think less tickets should be given to the loyalty pot and more dished out to younger age groups (which i'm sadly no longer in). I think it's just as bad the same lot of 50 plus men and women being at every away game and young lads/girls not being able to get there as it is corporate taking tickets and selling to Neutrals.

When the day finally comes that biometric tickets eventually come in for home and away games and they can't be passed on to anyone without going through the clubs ticketing portals then the same lot moaning about tourists/neutrals will be having aneurisms over having to scan their face to get in the ground.

It’s as valid an opinion as any. I don’t agree with it however. Surely any smart business, as we are constantly reminded football is these days, knows it makes sense to look after their most loyal customers?

The people who qualify for every away game, generally speaking are people who put City before everything else in their lives. They often put City before work, holidays, weddings, birthdays and anything else you can name.

Maybe that shouldn’t give them the ‘right’ to be first in the queue for every game.

But one thing for certain is if you lose those people, you lose the hardcore who fill the away section at Swansea in midweek. Or at Southampton for a 12.30.

They can easily be replaced at the likes of Liverpool and United. But there’s no waiting list to take their place at the unpopular ones already mentioned.

And that’s while we’re in the most successful period in the club’s history. God knows what it would look like without those people if everything on the field turned to shit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.