Heartbreaking moments as a City fan - when your favorite player leaves

David Phillips. I'd got a City shirt for my 5th birthday and then got my Grandma to sew a 6 on the back (classy!) as he was my fave player. When he left, fairly inexplicably, a year or so later I was genuinely gutted.

In a case of classic kids logic, Reddo became my fave player as he took over the 6 shirt.
Phillips for me too. I was brought up Roman Catholic and for my conformation name I chose Phillip with 2 l’s in honour of my favourite player. The day after my confirmation naming he left for Coventry. I was absolutely gutted! Probably a big reason went I’m atheist now - well that and the fact religion is utter lunacy and bullshit ;)

In terms of the modern era, it was Zabaleta’s goodbye speech that really got me in the feels more so than anyone else.

Obvs there’s been “better” players but with Zabba it was like he was one of us.

And we never really got to say goodbye to Spanish Dave properly which was equally sad in its own way.

Nicky Reid, a City fan growing up, maybe not the most naturally gifted but certainly got stuck in, at the time I thought he was 'hard as fuck'. Like you I was gutted when he left, I seem to remember John Bond thinking his son Kevin was the better option.
Steve Mackenzie was another one from that era, thought he had a bright future at the club. (he went to WBA too,
That’s exactly why I loved him mate, hard as nails and gave everything, funny thing is, my lad chats to him in ‘The Masons Arms’ sometimes, when he told him he was one of my childhood heroes, he found it pretty funny apparently, not sure whether there was some kind of realisation on his behalf that he was getting old as a 30 odd year old bloke was telling him this , or whether it was just him being humble.

I thought MacKenzie was a very good player and scored a few crackers for us, I remember one, possibly against West Brom, where the ball was played forward over his head to run onto and he volleyed it in from the edge of the area, bit like Cyril Regis’s goal against the rags.

None that I remember, disappointed over a few, but hardly heart broken. Probably would need to go back to Barnes and Owen,possibly Marsh,that as a teenager for players leaving that at the time affected me most,don’t really remember though.

Lots for SWP, and worse too was that chelsea ruined him, insisting he take a fall rather than skipping past his fb, the joy went from his game - here's something from way back, Colin Rudd.
The gutter, as many say here, was Paul Lake - so much quality, surely a future England captain in-waiting.

Last edited:
With SWP, it was very late and I understand many Seasoncards had been sold on the expectation of seeing him play.

I often suspect he was never Mourinho’s signing. Just a club one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.