England v Brazil | Friendly | Match Thread

If my criticism of southgate is meaningless than might I say your opinion of southgate is meaningless.

Yes I dont rate any England manager because they all put in rag players because they are rags not because of their performance.

Your criticism of Southgate is meaningless if you can’t name a single England manager you liked.

It’s like Stevie Wonder having an opinion on the best shade of green.

You’ve happily admitted you hate every England manager based on something that has nothing to do with how good they are…yet you want that to be treated like “he's shit because he doesn’t share my hatred of Manchester United” is a serious opinion.

Bowen to me has been outstanding for a long time - genuinely couldn’t care less if he starts or not for England and if some Arsenal/Spurs or some other rival is selected ahead of him. Genuinely, what’s the big deal and obsession about crying over rival players being selected instead of a player from the team you support.
Let the England manager whoever that is pick who the hell he wants - he’s never going to please everyone.

What’s staggering about it?

Rico Lewis, a full back, has been called up to replace an injured full back.

Mainoo, a midfielder, has been called up to replace an injured midfielder.

The only staggering thing is that Rico has been called up despite only starting 3 matches in 2024.

If people could actually be honest instead of playing this juvenile club partisan thing, you’d acknowledge that if anyone is getting unfairly selected, it’s the guy who goes months at a time without starting a league game and not Mainoo who has played 4x as much football and is a guaranteed starter in a top 6 club - something that would get any English player of the last 20 years called up.

I’m pretty sure half of you are just acting stupid so you can be outraged at this point.

I suppose it's more the frustration with Southgate and his contradictions.

Lewis made his debut in England's last competitive fixture. He was played out of position and was awarded Man of the Match. He's a versatile player who can cover several positions, he's comfortable in possession and plays for the best club side in world football, under the best manager in world football—the type of player who would be very valuable during a summer tournament.

Given that, it is odd he wasn't originally called up to the squad.

If the reason is his lack of game time, then that would be at odds with previous player selections made by Southgate.

I've got no issue with Mainoo being called up either, he's a talented player and offers more than Henderson.

I just cannot work out what Southgate's plan is, other than it being the same one he has always had, which is that he doesn't have one.

I suppose it's more the frustration with Southgate and his contradictions.

Lewis made his debut in England's last competitive fixture. He was played out of position and was awarded Man of the Match. He's a versatile player who can cover several positions, he's comfortable in possession and plays for the best club side in world football, under the best manager in world football—the type of player who would be very valuable during a summer tournament.

Given that, it is odd he wasn't originally called up to the squad.

If the reason is his lack of game time, then that would be at odds with previous player selections made by Southgate.

I've got no issue with Mainoo being called up either, he's a talented player and offers more than Henderson.

I just cannot work out what Southgate's plan is, other than it being the same one he has always had, which is that he doesn't have one.

His plan is like the manager of every inferior team on paper that rocks up to.our place. Defend in depth and hope a bit of magic or a set piece wins us the game. That's it, no plan B.

His plan is like the manager of every inferior team on paper that rocks up to.our place. Defend in depth and hope a bit of magic or a set piece wins us the game. That's it, no plan B.

I wouldn't even credit him with that.

After telling us for years he had a plan against France it boiled down to simply playing Walker to stop Mbappe.

Who was the last England manager you were happy with and what did they win?
You didn't ask me the question, but Venables was the last one who was good both tactically whilst also playing good football. The FA basically got rid before he really had a chance to build anything.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.