England v Belgium | Friendly | Match Thread

Rodri can actually be pretty arrogant, himself. It’s generally required to get anywhere near the top level. You have to have supreme confidence in yourself to the point of coming off as overestimating your own abilities just to make it through the gauntlet.

He is just also very intelligent and selfless, so it normally comes of as assertiveness and leadership. His arrogance is channeled for comprehensively positive impact.

The issue with Bellingham is that he is not only the run-of-the-mill arrogant, he is selfish and actually self-important. He’s starting to internalise the reverence coming from every direction, which is changing not only how he plays but how he sees his place relative to everyone else.

Someone prominent that has been there themselves needs to have a word with him about it. I think Zidane would actually be a decent candidate.

Otherwise he is going down a self-destructive path.

Good post, I don't disagree.

None of that has anything to did with the self-destructive path that is going down if he continues to internal the reverence coming from every direction and becomes more selfish and more self-important as he does.

There have been some absolutely amazing footballers that I have done similarly to him at fire, who have then crashed and burned when they followed a similar path.

Any student of football would be aware of that and be able to recognise the signs on the pitch and off it.

They are all there with Bellingham at present.
Sorry mate but that's just waffle. When he starts turning up to training half-cut, or getting into scraps on night outs, we can begin to talk about self-destructive paths.

Does he come across as an arrogant prick? Absolutely. Some of the greatest players ever were self-conceited, it's not new territory.

Nope, I'm just not in denial. He's an incredible player by every conceivable metric. By other teams, do you mean Dortmund?

Listen you're a fan it's very sweet, I won't have a word said against Margot Robbie we all have our infatuations.

I hope you Jude and Madrid have a wonderful time together. Except against City obviously. But like you said he doesn't show up against us anyhow.

The big issue for the majority of the talented players is they are all playing their own game. Bellingham is Real Madrid Bellingham and not England. Same with Rice, same with Mainoo the list goes on.
Unless Southgate can gel them and drum it into them this is a team game England will suffer.

Rodri is not arrogant.
He gets cropped all the time and gets rightly pissed off.
Gets targeted.
Fire in his belly might get him into trouble now and again but arrogant he certainly is not.
I think you are viewing arrogance in this context as both bad and uncommon, when in reality most footballers that make it to the highest echelons of football, as Rodri has, are arrogant, because they have to be to get there and stay there.

But, as I said, Rodri has other brilliant qualities that allow him to channel the arrogance for comprehensively positive impact.

When players start losing those balancing qualities, as Bellingham seems to be, is when issue begin to arise.

Arrogance doesn’t necessarily make someone selfish or problematic.

Messi and Cruyff do/did not come over as arrogant, nor did Pele. Nor did Colin Bell, Dave Silva, KDB

Yeah I've never really gone with the attitude leads to success bollocks. It's more simple than that. Talent will find a sinner as often as a Saint, tis the luck of the draw.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.