PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

The 5 person PL board who collectively chose to charge City with the "115" includes a barrister/judge Mathew Ryder. He describes himself as a "passionate" football fan (well he would do). He's very coy in public about where he directs his football "passion". He uses X to express his views on legal matters and hand out guidance to rookie lawyers.
In his tweet below he emphasises the critical distinction between FACT and OPINION. So can we assume the PL submissions will be devoid of opinions, conjecture and unjustifiable inferences when dealing with our Etihad sponsorship?, Hope he's not a hypocrite...
View attachment 111856
He sounds like a prick

The 5 person PL board who collectively chose to charge City with the "115" includes a barrister/judge Mathew Ryder. He describes himself as a "passionate" football fan (well he would do). He's very coy in public about where he directs his football "passion". He uses X to express his views on legal matters and hand out guidance to rookie lawyers.
In his tweet below he emphasises the critical distinction between FACT and OPINION. So can we assume the PL submissions will be devoid of opinions, conjecture and unjustifiable inferences when dealing with our Etihad sponsorship?, Hope he's not a hypocrite...
View attachment 111856
Sounds a fucking moron.

I can understand why they don't back him more.
I'm thinking of the NW Tonight piece on the topping out of the new arena as an example. Nearing completion of Europes largest, state of the art indoor arena, Burnham is interviewed and is naturally buoyant about the project. So what does Annabel Tiffin ask.. 'this is all well and good, but how do you feel about accepting investment from a country with such an appalling human rights record?'. (The way she emphasized 'appalling', I thought she was going to throw-up)
Anything positive MCC say about any investments will be totally twisted into a 'whatabout...?' and it's just not worth their while to stick their head above the parapet.
Frankly, if some people dont appreciate what UAE (and Chinese, for that matter) investment has done for the residents of Manchester, they should piss off to one of the many bankrupt shithole cities that will charge them a fortune in CT to not empty their bins.
What was his reply, out of interest?

Last edited:
View attachment 111856
Amazed those hastily cobbled together 'charges' had any input from a legal professional. If a builder put a wall up to the same standard he'd be regarded as a cowboy.

Thanks! Seems a bit of a wrong’un. I assume he was charged as well?

It still doesn’t disallow Tiffin from asking a question about the UAE though.

I’ve always been a Parkin man, personally.

I have no dog here, and I didn’t know anything about her husband. Nor do I really care.

But as a concept, and this could be anyone asking any such question, it doesn't disallow it, but it makes it quite hollow. It would be like asking her if she is comfortable part of her household income is coming from a person with an appaling employment rights record. A basic cheap shot. And journalists private lives do come into it, unfortunate or not, if it concerns accountsbility and pretense of integrity, and perceived hypocrisy can be biggie.

Either way, while I have zero issue with the question, imo it was hardly a big or significant one that nobody has ever asked. She wasn't in this case exercising journalistic integrity or championing anything, she was just trotting out a clichéd overused go-to bit of contraryism for something for people to latch onto, to maintain a bit of relevance. Which, by the number of pages on it, has worked.

She won't be the first or last to do it, Abu Dhabi and MCC won't be the first or last subjects of such questions either. There will always be these issues, these investments, people will always piggyback them for their careers including journalists. The ones that Really care about it and try meaningfully tackle it, tend to be ones you don't hear that much from imo.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.