9 | Erling Haaland - 2023/24

I'm not sure he is fully fit mate. I'm not arguing with your assessment of him for many games this season. Look at him last season though and his movement was more varied and his finishing more accurate. His numbers at all his clubs tell us something and that is that he is not a poor player.
Whether "fully fit", "half fit" or "not fit", Haaland doesn't have good ball control and in our team due to the amount of technically good footballers we have, if your ball control is even half decent, you will stick out like a sore thumb.
People keep talking about our midfielders not passing the ball to Haaland, well from what I've seen, they don't trust him to keep the ball when and if they do.

Defenders have started to be more physical with him and it’s apparent to me that haaland struggles with this. Mainly because his first touch and hold up play is pretty poor. He thrives in space and balls in behind. That isn’t how we play as teams sit deep against us.

He is the highest played player at the club and the league. It isn’t unfair for fans to expect more from him imo. The fact he can’t create a goal for himself when he is considered by some to be the best striker in the world is pretty poor imo. If all he brings to the table is occupying defenders we may as well get Troy Deeney ffs

Jesus wept.

You're right, he's shit. We should sell him in the summer. But who would even want him?

Oh, what's that? Every bastard club in the world? OK.
There’s no use in buying a thoroughbred to give pony rides on Blackpool beach!

There are horses for courses and if we are not going to run this horse over the right course, then both he and the team will suffer.

He looks low on confidence. He’s not been same since his injury and still looks half fit to me.
I agree that we should start him in bench occasionally and take him off when that low narrow block is employed. Without the dynamism he’s a 1/4 of the player
I think he is very low on confidence. Our style doesn't lend itself to an old school target man, so we are in the unusual position of using the best striker in the world right now as a decoy. It was interesting to see him make himself defensively useful last night - and not for the first time. Is it down to Pep to find ways of integrating him more actively, is it down to Haaland to either develop into a more creative player, or to adjust to the particular role that Pep has for him in the way that Grealish has?

It the here and now that matters.. magnificent goal tally last season and early this but thats in the past. The thread is not about past performances.
Just highlighting some of the poisonous abuse he’s getting on here . Players go through bad patches , that’s football.

But I think our players are wondering what the point of providing the ball to him is.

He's getting bullied by even average centre-backs, he's technically very limited even when he's in form so can't hold the ball up, his right foot is just for standing on and he loses the initiative in good positions when he tries to shift it onto his left foot, he's not that great in the air, he'll never score a goal like the one Yaya scored against Villa in 2013/14. He wouldn't even have scored any of the goals we scored last night.

He's either been worked out or got too comfortable. So what service would make a difference?
Truth bombs.

Just highlighting some of the poisonous abuse he’s getting on here . Players go through bad patches , that’s football.
That's fair enough but it is a discussion for how he's performing. I think it's fair to say he's not at his lethal best right now. Of course he isnt shit (is anyone actually saying he is) posters are just frustrated at the ball not sticking to him or getting outmuscled by his marker. I think it's clear as day without Kevin he's not the same player.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.