PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

Agree this hotel and car park sale must be fine with PSR or it wouldn't have been allowed so they found a loop hole!

I expect chelsea with there owners being pretty smart find a way to not fail PSR next season as well...
How do we know it’s allowed ? I thought these things happened then the premier league looked at them

Is there anything to stop Chelsea buying the hotel back for a quid and then selling it again the week after for 70m?

It would be very dodgy obviously but would there be anything in the rules that would actually stop it?
Think it would run into issues, I can’t say for certain but there should be some market value rules with connected parties.

The more interesting question for me is what is stopping them buying it back through owner investment as development costs (which are not included in the PSR calculation.

So in theory could they buy it back for £70 million and as such then continue to be able to account for the revenue as income.

I don’t know for certain on any of this (mostly based on the fact these are ridiculous made up rules that are anti business so makes little to no sense). Be interested to know the view of the experts to see if I’m on the right track with my thinking.

Think it would run into issues, I can’t say for certain but there should be some market value rules with connected parties.

The more interesting question for me is what is stopping them buying it back through owner investment as development costs (which are not included in the PSR calculation.

So in theory could they buy it back for £70 million and as such then continue to be able to account for the revenue as income.

I don’t know for certain on any of this (mostly based on the fact these are ridiculous made up rules that are anti business so makes little to no sense). Be interested to know the view of the experts to see if I’m on the right track with my thinking.

I think profits on real estate sales aren't included in PSR profits / losses for the simple reason that infrastructure costs when they are built and depreciated aren't considered costs. So it doesn't matter who they sell too and for how much.

Edit: Apparently, I was wrong. The profits are excluded from EFL PSR, but it's allowed as profit under PL PSR. How fucking stupid is that? Add it to the list of "The PL doesn't know what it's doing!". So you can lose as much money as you want, as long as you strip the club of its assets to compensate. Sustainability my arse.

So I suppose the only issue is fair value (and this profit is the only reason they didn't fail PSR. Remarkable).

Last edited:
I think profits on real estate sales aren't included in PSR profits / losses for the simple reason that infrastructure costs when they are built and depreciated aren't considered costs. So it doesn't matter who they sell too and for how much.

Edit: Apparently, I was wrong. The profits are excluded from EFL PSR, but it's allowed as profit under PL PSR. How fucking stupid is that? Add it to the list of "The PL doesn't know what it's doing!". So you can lose as much money as you want, as long as you strip the club of its assets to compensate. Sustainability my arse.

So I suppose the only issue is fair value (and this profit is the only reason they didn't fail PSR. Remarkable).

Yes, it’s ultimately might be a get out of jail card for that year but it is then going to give them more money to find the next.

The next question is if infrastructure (real estate) is excluded as a cost what in theory stops Chelsea just buying it back and putting those costs as owner investment.

If that can be done fair dues to them, make Masters and co, look like an absolute shambles.

Look forward to an amendment after the next PL meeting.

So we are sure they have passed PSR for the period when they sold this ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.