Golf Thread

Ha! I’ve still got the distance I used to have (although I think that’s down to newer clubs and the ridiculous degrees they are nowadays!), just my short game has completely gone to pot. Going to try and spend some more time on it this year as I’m bordering on getting the yips with it.
Played with my 70 year old mate yesterday, he’s about 5ft 5” and 10 stone. He’s still hitting the ball a country mile (got on our index 1 in regulation yesterday, 420 yards par 4, no run) but his short game is phenomenal, he played of 11 yesterday and scored 42 points.

As you say, with some golfers like yourself you still have the long game as you get older but to maintain the level you’re at the short game is so important, worth that hour on the chipping area and putting green.

Played with my 70 year old mate yesterday, he’s about 5ft 5” and 10 stone. He’s still hitting the ball a country mile (got on our index 1 in regulation yesterday, 420 yards par 4, no run) but his short game is phenomenal, he played of 11 yesterday and scored 42 points.

As you say, with some golfers like yourself you still have the long game as you get older but to maintain the level you’re at the short game is so important, worth that hour on the chipping area and putting green.

A lot of people say if you get the swing speed when you’re young, you don’t really lose it, it’s a lot harder when people start later in life.

It’s that and making sure I’m practicing the right things :) Got a book for Christmas by Dan Grieve on the short game that I’ve heard very good things about so I’m going to stick to his methods and see how it goes.

All depends on the golfer. I play off 9.8 nowadays and it’s pretty much entirely down to my short game that I’m not lower than that (was better when I was younger!). Agree that you do need length too though.

The two people I normally play with shoot around 100, when I watch them the main issues I see are fundamentals not being right (the grip in particular) causing a lot of inconsistency and the other big thing is course management. Im just playing with one of them this weekend and I’m going to caddy for him as I’ve said I reckon I can get him to break ninety just by making some better choices. Going to be interesting :)
I play off 4.6 and in my late 50s I hit the ball just as far as I did in my 20s, when I was down to a 3. Two reasons: primarily technology, and secondarily Pilates. I'm not in the best shape but I've been doing flexibility training for years and it helps a ton. I hit the ball off the tee as far as the guys I play with who are often 10-15 years younger than I, though they hit irons farther -- but I hit very high iron shots and always have. My scores would be better if I practic(s)ed my short game though. But with relatively little time to play, I'd rather just play than practic(s)e. Hopefully that changes as I get near retiring. I will say I've played with a number of older guys with lower indices and their short games are what keep them so low. And they don't miss six-foot putts.

I play off 4.6 and in my late 50s I hit the ball just as far as I did in my 20s, when I was down to a 3. Two reasons: primarily technology, and secondarily Pilates. I'm not in the best shape but I've been doing flexibility training for years and it helps a ton. I hit the ball off the tee as far as the guys I play with who are often 10-15 years younger than I, though they hit irons farther -- but I hit very high iron shots and always have. My scores would be better if I practic(s)ed my short game though. But with relatively little time to play, I'd rather just play than practic(s)e. Hopefully that changes as I get near retiring. I will say I've played with a number of older guys with lower indices and their short games are what keep them so low. And they don't miss six-foot putts.

Exactly my experience too.

All depends on the golfer. I play off 9.8 nowadays and it’s pretty much entirely down to my short game that I’m not lower than that (was better when I was younger!). Agree that you do need length too though.

The two people I normally play with shoot around 100, when I watch them the main issues I see are fundamentals not being right (the grip in particular) causing a lot of inconsistency and the other big thing is course management. Im just playing with one of them this weekend and I’m going to caddy for him as I’ve said I reckon I can get him to break ninety just by making some better choices. Going to be interesting :)
You mention the grip for your mates, Adam Scott puts the club away from his body (arms length to the side) and turns the club head to face inwards towards him, he then twists his left hand to grip the club, this gives him a natural grip showing two and half knuckles. get a club and take look see if could work for them.

Ben Hogan ..The five fundamentals of golf

Worth a read with great sketches of grip, stance and swing etc.

You mention the grip for your mates, Adam Scott puts the club away from his body (arms length to the side) and turns the club head to face inwards towards him, he then twists his left hand to grip the club, this gives him a natural grip showing two and half knuckles. get a club and take look see if could work for them.

I’ll check that out. I’ve sent them the Padraig Harrington tip on it as he’s one of the few people on YouTube I think is really good with his advice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.