Lucas Paquetá

I would expect the former to go and the latter perhaps, though I think much will depend on how smoothly other business goes.
I would hope the former would go, possibly as make-weight for Paqueta, & I wouldn't be averse to Kovacic being sold either.

At best we could keep Kova as a Squad player if that doesn't impinge on our foreign player quota to the detriment of bringing in better.

I would hope the former would go, possibly as make-weight for Paqueta, & I wouldn't be averse to Kovacic being sold either.

At best we could keep Kova as a Squad player if that doesn't impinge on our foreign player quota to the detriment of bringing in better.
I actually think we’d be more likely to keep Nunes over Kovacic. Nunes obviously younger and rumour has it that Kova could have an offer from Saudi in the summer.

He's contracted through 2027 but I doubt his playing time would increase next season, especially if we signed Paqueta/Neves, and his staying then could also have an impact on the minutes Lewis receives. He's a soccer nomad who turns 30 next month, so he might be tempted by an offer from KSA, at which point we probably wouldn't stand in his way. I'm comfortable with him staying, but if other deals fall into place, I'm equally comfortable with him leaving.

He's contracted through 2027 but I doubt his playing time would increase next season, especially if we signed Paqueta/Neves, and his staying then could also have an impact on the minutes Lewis receives. He's a soccer nomad who turns 30 next month, so he might be tempted by an offer from KSA, at which point we probably wouldn't stand in his way. I'm comfortable with him staying, but if other deals fall into place, I'm equally comfortable with him leaving.
Agreed - Kovacic was seemingly a stopgap and a very smart piece of business. I do seem to remember last summer thinking it was slightly odd we gave him a four year deal though, slightly excessive.

I start from,when Phillips and Cancelo come back, the squad is full. So who goes and who replaces them.I'd expect Phillips,Cancelo, Gomes out. Paqueta, a versatile DM, (Kimmich ?) , and a left back in.
After that it's a question of who else leaves,Bernardo think would need replacing with another wide player, but not sure he'll go. Ortega obviously a keeper, again would rather he stay.Not sure anyone else likely to leave this summer.

I would not rule out any or all of Bernado, Walker and KDB leaving. I could also envisage any of Alvarez, Kova and Nunes going. This is in addtion to who you mentioned.

Obviously, I'm not expecting massive changes but even allowing for Phillips and Cancelo as squad members, I'd like to see one or two more in the squad. I know Pep does not favour that but maybe he needs persuading.

Regardless of any of the foregoing, I feel we need to make the squad a bit stronger, which wion't be easy if KDB and or Bernie goes but this season's squad is not as good as last season's and that the club cannot afford to let that become a trend.

I would not rule out any or all of Bernado, Walker and KDB leaving. I could also envisage any of Alvarez, Kova and Nunes going. This is in addtion to who you mentioned.

Obviously, I'm not expecting massive changes
but even allowing for Phillips and Cancelo as squad members, I'd like to see one or two more in the squad. I know Pep does not favour that but maybe he needs persuading.

Regardless of any of the foregoing, I feel we need to make the squad a bit stronger, which wion't be easy if KDB and or Bernie goes but this season's squad is not as good as last season's and that the club cannot afford to let that become a trend.
Which is it to be? :-)
If this season’s squad is not as strong as last season’s squad, then heaven knows how bad it would be next season if that happened. We only need to add 2 dependable midfielders and maybe a winger. It should be last orders, however, for those that can’t be trusted to get on the park.

I actually think we’d be more likely to keep Nunes over Kovacic. Nunes obviously younger and rumour has it that Kova could have an offer from Saudi in the summer.
Kova is more use to City than Nunes. If we had to choose one to keep, it'd be Kova who will more likely accept a squad role.

The age of Nunes means he'll be easier to shift. Their respective playing times indicates who Pep favours.

Which begs the question, what to do with Nunes who's had far less minutes & impact than Kovacic?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.