VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24

Not good enough I'm afraid.
Multiple times? Hmmmm.
Why not set the same level for all the games, regardless of which team/player is involved

It’s computer generated. It’s not a secret. Every time you see one single line instead of the normal two, it means the tolerance level has been applied.

Forget it was the Rags. Yesterday was the reason we fell hopelessly in love with this game. FA cup semi. A David vs Goliath match. A match that looked like it was dead and buried and then an amazing come-back. The tension cranked up to 10 as extra time plays out and then, unbelievably, the underdog crafts a fine move down the length of the pitch. United defenders almost out on their feet. The ball into the box and Goallllllllllllll….
The sheer ecstatic joy of that moment. A moment that will live in every Coventry supporters mind forever. Their Aguero moment…

But it’s not. Because some invisible jobsworth has decided that it’s offside. Never mind that the on-field referee awarded the goal. Certainly never mind that all the evidence presented indicates that it was impossible to tell. Never mind that the system used cannot be trusted to show fine margins.
It was a perfectly beautiful goal and now it isn’t.
Football really really needs to look hard at itself.

Last edited:
Forget it was the Rags. Yesterday was the reason we fell hopelessly in love with this game. FA cup semi. A David vs Goliath match. A match that looked like it was dead and buried and then an amazing come-back. The tension cranked up to 10 as extra time plays out and then, unbelievably, the underdog crafts a fine move down the length of the pitch. United defenders almost out on their feet. The ball into the box and Goallllllllllllll….
The sheer ecstatic joy of that moment. A moment that will live in every Coventry supporters mind forever. Their Aguero moment…

But it’s not. Because some invisible jobsworth has decided that it’s offside. Never mind that the on-field referee awarded the goal. Certainly never mind that all the evidence presented indicates that it was impossible to tell. Never mind that the system used cannot be trusted to show fine margins.
It was a perfectly beautiful goal and now it isn’t.
Football really really needs to look hard set itself.
Thought the original reason for VAR was to correct clearly, I stress clearly incorrect, such as Henry's handball goal against ROI. The current application of checking millmetres on/off side, red card review etc is bad for the officials, even worse for the fans. Needs scrapping

I've no idea if Atwell is a Luton fan or not but if he is then Forest have every right to call that out because he shouldn't be involved in officiating a game involving one of Luton's relegation rivals. Spitty and Neville can call that Forest statement embarrassing if they want but there's a genuine whiff if he indeed supports Luton and they've been denied 3 penalties in the same game.
Atwell is a Luton fan and isn't allowed to ref their games, this is why forest claim they asked for him to be removed from VAR duty

It’s computer generated. It’s not a secret. Every time you see one single line instead of the normal two, it means the tolerance level has been applied.
Wow, how very ignorant of me not to understand the foolproof workings of Var.
So Rashford's full foot being offside against the dippers but deemed acceptable is comparable to a toenail being offside and deemed unacceptable in the 'tolerance levels'?
No in fact don't waste any of your precious time trying to explain, I'm still trying to get rid of the bad taste it left me from yesterday and I'm all 'varred' out.

They possibly have a different criteria as to what constitutes “known” in regard to who referees may support.
Well if a ref declares support for a club they are barred from officiating their games which is why Attwell never refs a Luton game, Oliver a newcastle game, pawson same with the blades annd why Marriner never did villa ones, so they obviously ha a criteria.

Salisbury is undeclared, but a mate of his from college (another rag btw)works with my mate and he finds it funny when he gets their games seems just not telling is the best way to evade PGMOLs stringent checks

Last edited:
Well if a ref declares support for a club they are barred from officiating their games which is why Attwell never refs a Luton game, Oliver a newcastle game, pawson same with the blades annd why Marriner never did villa ones, so they obviously ha a criteria.

Salisbury is undeclared, but a mate of his from college (another rag btw)works with my mate and he finds it funny when he gets their games seems just not telling is the best way to evade PGMOLs stringent checks

Which is exactly what I mean by the authorities having a different criteria to people on a football forum.

If a referee comes out and declares an affinity for a team, then it’s easy. If he doesn’t, there has to be an element of trust.

Obviously if evidence surfaces of a referee in a team shirt or clearly supporting a team they claim no affinity with, then you’d expect them to step in and act.

But you can’t really expect them to act because someone has heard from a mate’s mate who went to college with them. Or no one would be allowed to referee anyone.

One yesterday (think it was Young) was absolutely nailed on in my book, but i dont think they even vard it
Yup it's all lost in the new terminology that VAR has brought.. not clear and obvious. High bar for fouls, technical issues.. or just plain old nobody makes the decision because they all leave it to the other. None of that existed before VAR. (Maybe high bar).

For those reasons alone it should go, but there's more. So much more that's wrong with it. And only 1 thing right with it.

Whatever you think about the actual level of the tolerance level, it has been applied multiple times every season since then.
....but only in England and used to a different set of standards throughout the top leagues all around the entire world, and further, is it applied evenly in your opinion?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.