VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Agree totally,if it’s that tight and it’s taking more than let’s say 10-20 secs to judge not 2-3 mins then you give the benefit to the attacker which was always meant to be the case,unfortunately situations arise where because of which teams are playing they are determined to try and sway a tight call either way..

I think some fans, managers and the media have probably made this situation worse though because when it's their own team that's affected then the need for pragmatism and subjectivity tends to go out of the window. If you have a goal awarded against you where the player's toe looked like it might have been offside after dozen slow motion replays and countless lines drawn on the screen, then you need to be willing to suck up the fact that no obvious advantage was gained and you maybe should have defended the situation better. Some people would still want referees hauled over the coals for decisions like that though.

On forests point about Atwell being a Luton fan, if so he shouldn't be involded in games of teams fighting relegation
But then the wolves game at the swamp Michael Salisbury was the VAR official who ruled against Wolves on many calls and he is a known United fan since school

so seems PGMOL don't care about such
I've no idea if Atwell is a Luton fan or not but if he is then Forest have every right to call that out because he shouldn't be involved in officiating a game involving one of Luton's relegation rivals. Spitty and Neville can call that Forest statement embarrassing if they want but there's a genuine whiff if he indeed supports Luton and they've been denied 3 penalties in the same game.

Last edited:
I've no idea if Atwell is a Luton fan or not but if he is then Forest have every right to call that out because he shouldn't be involved in officiating a game involving one of Luton's relegation rivals. Spitty and Neville can call that Forest statement embarrassing if they want but there's a genuine whiff if they've been denied 3 penalties in the same game.
That was my point , its a press driven narrative to immediately decry the idea that anything shady is afoot despite obvious evidence and you have to question why they are driving that narrative so hard

I think some fans, managers and the media have probably made this situation worse though because when it's their own team that's affected then the need for pragmatism and subjectivity tends to go out of the window. If you have a goal awarded against you where the player's toe looked like it might have been offside after dozen slow motion replays and countless lines drawn on the screen, then you need to be willing to suck up the fact that no obvious advantage was gained and you maybe should have defended the situation better. Some people would still want referees hauled over the coals for decisions like that though.
The reality is however you cut it the margins of the rules will work for and against one team over another. Someone will always get pissed off.

Imagine that scenario was reversed and it was the rags that had scored that goal. Replays show he's a toe offside but benefit given to the attacker. We would all be having the same arguments.

Ultimately rules have to set a line and every decision has to fall one way or the other.

Gutted for Coventry but I don't fault the rules or the process. Although I would like to see a margin of error on these lines and benefit given to the referee decision.

I've no idea if Atwell is a Luton fan or not but if he is then Forest have every right to call that out because he shouldn't be involved in officiating a game involving one of Luton's relegation rivals. Spitty and Neville can call that Forest statement embarrassing if they want but there's a genuine whiff if he indeed supports Luton and they've been denied 3 penalties in the same game.

Or maybe people just need to be wiling to accept that these people are professionals and should be trusted to behave with integrity. Players come up against their boyhood clubs and former teams all of the time but are trusted to do their jobs.

Obviously, if Atwell's calls are driven by incompetence rather than bias then that's a problem in of itself but i find it quite hard to believe that someone would risk their livelihood and reputation making deliberately bad calls, especially in today's landscape where they know all contentious calls are going to be looked at and discussed in minute detail.

The reality is however you cut it the margins of the rules will work for and against one team over another. Someone will always get pissed off.

Imagine that scenario was reversed and it was the rags that had scored that goal. Replays show he's a toe offside but benefit given to the attacker. We would all be having the same arguments.

Ultimately rules have to set a line and every decision has to fall one way or the other.

Gutted for Coventry but I don't fault the rules or the process. Although I would like to see a margin of error on these lines and benefit given to the referee decision.

I agree that if the roles were reversed and United had had that goal given we would still see the same amount of airtime given to poring over the decision, because it's become pretty obvious that broadcasters are lazily relying on VAR decisions to fill airtime, create content and discussion points. But personally, i'd be very "meh" about it. For me, whoever is involved, I don't think you can be mad if a goal is given in those circumstances. It's consistency that i want to see above all.

That was my point , its a press driven narrative to immediately decry the idea that anything shady is afoot despite obvious evidence and you have to question why they are driving that narrative so hard
I saw one headline that said “Forest in the dock” and FA to open investigation, implying it’s an investigation into Forest’s wrongdoing but no mention of the obvious cheating, collusion and joint enterprise by two corrupt officials.

Exactly this.
Spitty and Ratboy know who get the favours and don't want any of it being unearthed

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.