Sandy Wann

I wonder if any long time City fans know anything interesting about a Scottish player who was on City’s books in the early 1960’s. I don’t think he ever played for the first team but Was a regular in the reserves alongside my late brother in law, George Greenall. Like George and several other City players he went on to play for Oldham.
Anyhow, both Sandy and his wife passed away in recent years and their funerals were held at my sister’s church and as George’s previous wife she attended and Sandy’s children were interested. in talking to her to see if she could tell them anything about Sandy from that time. She has collected some of her memorabilia including a squad picture showing Sandy and George to show them. I know this is a long shot but I just wondered whether anyone could add anything to his story.
Drop Gary James a PM.

I wonder if any long time City fans know anything interesting about a Scottish player who was on City’s books in the early 1960’s. I don’t think he ever played for the first team but Was a regular in the reserves alongside my late brother in law, George Greenall. Like George and several other City players he went on to play for Oldham.
Anyhow, both Sandy and his wife passed away in recent years and their funerals were held at my sister’s church and as George’s previous wife she attended and Sandy’s children were interested. in talking to her to see if she could tell them anything about Sandy from that time. She has collected some of her memorabilia including a squad picture showing Sandy and George to show them. I know this is a long shot but I just wondered whether anyone could add anything to his story.
@Gary James is a football historian who could point you in the right direction.

Hi. I don’t have many programmes from this era as it was 20 years before I was born, but I looked in the programme for City v Preston on 23rd April 1960 and saw Sandy’s name listed as having appeared in the Central League and Lancashire League Division 1. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_6372.jpeg
    IMG_6372.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
As a young lad I occasionally watched Oldham when City were away and I remember Sandy Wann during the time that Jack Rowley was their Manager. As I recall, he was a decent and tough tackling half back. Oldham mysteriously released 4 of their first teamers on a 'Free' at the end of the season, including Wann. I remember my Latics supporting schoolmates being astounded at the time. Maybe something had gone on behind the scenes, but it caused quite a stir amongst the Yonners.

I apologise that you have clearly found offence in my post. Just wondering, though; you haven't found some of the other posts inappropriate. Any particular reason for this?
Only that no other offensive posts had been posted at the time.

I don't think it is appropriate for such a derisory comment to be made about news that an ex blues player has died and I made my feelings known. Now I have seen them I don't think XhavenJoe and Stephen230's comments are appropriate either on a City forum

Only that no other offensive posts had been posted at the time.

I don't think it is appropriate for such a derisory comment to be made about news that an ex blues player has died and I made my feelings known. Now I have seen them I don't think XhavenJoe and Stephen230's comments are appropriate either on a City forum
I find it strange that no one else has had an issue with the post, only you. Anyway; to repeat myself, I'm sorry that you found offence where there clearly isn't any.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.