people sleeping rough.....

Its quite strange that it can still happen when benefits are available for most. How many must have passed on in this extended fucked up winter is a scary thought. That said it does happen and always has since I can remember I guess we just take it as normal now which is worrying as well

mcmanus said:
malg said:
Gaylord du Bois said:
Why don't you take one in? Better still two.
No? Thought not.
Night. Don't let the bed bugs bite.
You're fucking right I wouldn't, they probably smell! Still doesn't stop me feeling a bit sorry for them though.

I have done recently. A girl who I've known since childhood who is a bit tapped with an even weirder family had been sleeping rough gave me a call just asking for somewhere to put her head down for a night but ended up 3 weeks. The poor girl was freezing carrying all her belongings, she got herself washed and her head together. No council housing left these days but found her a B&B and helped her sort it out.

I'd hate to be homeless.
Fair play to you on that one. I've put up members of my family on and off over the last 25 years. My brother, my nephew and 3 brothers-in-law have all stayed with me and the wife for short periods of time while they got their lives sorted. Could never see one of my own family go down the homeless route. Mind you, when my mum first brought me and my brother and sister down from Scotland in 1976 we were homeless for a while. Ended up squatting for a couple of months in a derelict house until the council could get us housed. I was only young then so it all seemed like an adventure to me, but I'm sure my mum didn't feel that way!

It's a shame it really is. Directly behind my shop there is an alley which every morning has evidence of people sleeping rough, literally shit, piss, empty cans/bottles and needles. I've given in the past to tramps but money doesn't help them, better to buy them some food. You could provide warm clothing or a sleeping bag, but again it's just a form of currency to them and could be exchanged for smack or alcohol. In this day and age everyone deserves a roof over their head and the Government should do more.

The Ox said:
It's a shame it really is. Directly behind my shop there is an alley which every morning has evidence of people sleeping rough, literally shit, piss, empty cans/bottles and needles. I've given in the past to tramps but money doesn't help them, better to buy them some food. You could provide warm clothing or a sleeping bag, but again it's just a form of currency to them and could be exchanged for smack or alcohol. In this day and age everyone deserves a roof over their head and the Government should do more.

You should contact Street Link as there might be an outreach service that could help them (and you if they are behind your shop)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.streetlink.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.streetlink.org.uk/</a>

chabal said:
I went to Madrid in 1981 when I was 17.

Even though I had lived in Manchester my entire life up to that point it was the first time I had ever seen homeless people and I remember thinking how lucky I was that I lived in a country where virtually no one had to sleep rough.

I was obviously quite naive but over the course of a generation there has been a massive increase in the number of people who sleep rough in this country.

I'm around the same age as you and i remember loads of homeless, from the tramps in town to teenagers dossing in old houses.

went to give a homeless guy my egg and cress butty the other week on deansgate and he said ''do i look like a veggie!?' been mugged when i was pissed of 3 homeless guys and 1 woman on the old shudehill bus stop. Spoke to one a few months back who says he can earn around £50-60 a day and he rents his flat out, has about £3.5k in his bank. lives at his mams dueing the day.

needless to say i dont give a fuck about most of them. my kids are my proirity and im not going to feel sorry for doing something right. not all of us have had a good upbringing but i made sure i'd never be homeless by not being a knob in school. that reminds me, i seen a bully from high school on the streets in liverpool In january, he was a right prick, with a wealthy family.

Sven's Fluffer said:
Makes me sad, angry, frustrated and upset. And what do I do about it? Fuck all. Just wrong.

Is it? There's nothing you yourself can realistically do to erradicate the problem without an incredible act of generosity on your part. I often find the smallest and most simple acts of kindness are amongst the best so just do whatever you feel is right for the situation. A cup of tea, a sandwich, hot food etc. It might be the first they've had in days.

In freezing weather, councils are meant to activate an emergency plan to find people who are sleeping rough and get them indoors at night. (they receive funding for this from the government) But some councils may be moving too slowly or just ticking boxes.

i recently emailed my local councillor to ask her what the council were doing to get people off the streets (the forecast said it was going to be -8 to -10 degrees that night) . I received a response (a copy email to someone in a department somewhere) and finally 48 hours later a reply that stated ''they had put the issue out to a tender and were awaiting responses''

This means that by the time the tender responses are in and considered it will be spring / summer and the problem will no longer exist. More importantly the funding will not have been used.

if you really want to get involved then go here

<a class="postlink" href="https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/page/speakout/homelessness-emergency-plan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/page/sp ... gency-plan</a>

its dead easy to use 38 degrees to write to your MP and to sign petitions.

crizack said:
went to give a homeless guy my egg and cress butty the other week on deansgate and he said ''do i look like a veggie!?' been mugged when i was pissed of 3 homeless guys and 1 woman on the old shudehill bus stop. Spoke to one a few months back who says he can earn around £50-60 a day and he rents his flat out, has about £3.5k in his bank. lives at his mams dueing the day.

needless to say i dont give a fuck about most of them. my kids are my proirity and im not going to feel sorry for doing something right. not all of us have had a good upbringing but i made sure i'd never be homeless by not being a knob in school. that reminds me, i seen a bully from high school on the streets in liverpool In january, he was a right prick, with a wealthy family.

A girl I used to work with could point out several Big Issue Salesmen in town that she knew from School. They'd been in care and moved around so much that they were unable to form links with others. Perhaps some money earned working was put to a bad use because they'd literally known no different. No guidance or leadership.

The Fiance of my old Uni Housemate sat me down and told me his life story once. It was horrific and stemmed from sexual abuse he'd received whilst in a care home. It's no great surprise he was homeless in London for years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.