Ipad, laptop, Chromebook?? advice please

RACHACE said:
talkativesprout said:
Due to some Orange fuck up many moons ago they neglected to charge me for any internet usage. I tethered my laptop (connected my phone to my laptop, using my phone as a modem) and got dial up speeds. i am pretty sure tethering apps are available now, your tele internet provider may have a problem with it though.

The girl in the EE store asked me whether I tethered a lot as my usage was high. I didn't know what tethering was, she explained and When I asked about using the phone to connect a laptop she said it can be done but she made out that it can only be done for the iPad. The iPad was £36 per month for two years.

i have a 3mobile contract and an HTC phone which i use as a modem. The contract is for unlimited internet use. A phone can be as little as 40 quid and Tmobile do a sim-only for 15quid a month which is unlimited internet. Connects with any device with wifi.

bellbuzzer said:
i have a 3mobile contract and an HTC phone which i use as a modem. The contract is for unlimited internet use. A phone can be as little as 40 quid and Tmobile do a sim-only for 15quid a month which is unlimited internet. Connects with any device with wifi.
Be careful, as Three recently pulled the tethering from their unlimited contract. Whilst you can still do it, they are within their rights to charge you if they catch you using tethering excessively.

Irwell said:
bellbuzzer said:
Be careful, as Three recently pulled the tethering from their unlimited contract. Whilst you can still do it, they are within their rights to charge you if they catch you using tethering excessively.

Bastards

bellbuzzer said:
As far as I'm aware Three were the only ones who did it anyway. T-Mobile had a no tethering policy, Orange never did tethering, O2 didn't allow tethering and had no unlimited plan, Giff-gaff are barely 3G and Vodafone don't allow tethering. EE have unlimited plans, with tethering allowed, but they cost well over £50 a month. Three have pulled the tethering part because they give you 4G at no cost, so at least you gain something and lose something.

Having a phone contract with unlimited data doesn't mean you can tether your phone to your laptop without restriction.

I wanted unlimited tethering so I got a new phone with 3 on the One Plan which was the only company/plan with unlimited tethering. However around Feb/March they changed it to a maximum of 2Gb for new contracts, but I believe that is still more than most other companies allow.

I was told 3 lowered the allowance as some people were using it instead of a having a home internet provider such as BT and were getting through massive amounts of data.

EE, Vodafone and O2 allow limited tethering.

GPB said:
I was told 3 lowered the allowance as some people were using it instead of a having a home internet provider such as BT and were getting through massive amounts of data.
It was a combination between that and the fact they wanted to offer all their customers a free upgrade to 4G with unlimited data still. Unlimited data on 4G is one thing, but doing it with tethering allowed was just too much.

Excel is available on the iPad and Numbers always was so the idea you can't do spreadsheets is wrong. I use numbers a lot. You can also do everything needed to run a blog from an iPad too.

I bought a HP Pavillion 14" Chromebook from Argos ebay a few months ago for £135. Outer box had a bit of damage, the machine was pristine condition. Chuffed to bits with it. Boots up from scratch in about 7 seconds. From standby to logged on in about 2 secs.

I spend the majority of my time using the browser, so I'm not fussed about a CD/DVD player, excel, office etc. I have that on another laptop, which I've hardly used since I've started using the chromebook.

Has HDMI, so can connect easily to TV's. Only gripe is that it won't load SKYGO, but that is more to do with SKY than Chromebooks.

Connects really well with a tethered phone, domestic and hotspot wireless and MIFI, which is just as well as it's pretty worthless without being connected to the internet. Brilliant machine for browsing and really light compared to normal laptops.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.