Best Albums Of 1971

OB1 said:
Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Free's fantastic live album "Free Live"

Was that '71? You can add that to my list then.

Can you believe it's 43 years ago, I remember buying it from "Javellin records" in Bury. I bought the Who "Live at leeds" the same day but that album was from the year before 1970, so doesn't count.

OB1 said:
Free's fantastic live album "Free Live"

Was that '71? You can add that to my list then.

Can you believe it's 43 years ago, I remember buying it from "Javellin records" in Bury. I bought the Who "Live at leeds" the same day but that album was from the year before 1970, so doesn't count.

I didn't become familiar with Free Live until 1977 (a girlfriend owned it) although I probably bought Live at Leeds in '74. 1971 was when I started to get into music, Maggie Mae was the first song that I really loved and T.Rex were the first band to be my favourite act. I was a bit young for heavier rock bands in '71 but the roots were there in bands like T.Rex, Slade and Sweet.

Doesn't feel like 43 years ago.

I hadn't really considered what a great year for music 1971 was, but aside from the big-hitters - all of which are mentioned elsewhere - here are some of my favourites:

Tarkus - one of two ELP albums that year
Stormcock - Roy Harper's four-song masterpiece
Pearl - Janis Joplin's posthumous album notable for her a cappella classic Mercedes Benz.
A Space In Time - After the blues and a spot at Woodstock this album saw Ten Years After going all pastoral. Virtually unknown and unheard of these days.

BTH said:
I hadn't really considered what a great year for music 1971 was, but aside from the big-hitters - all of which are mentioned elsewhere - here are some of my favourites:

Tarkus - one of two ELP albums that year
Stormcock - Roy Harper's four-song masterpiece
Pearl - Janis Joplin's posthumous album notable for her a cappella classic Mercedes Benz.
A Space In Time - After the blues and a spot at Woodstock this album saw Ten Years After going all pastoral. Virtually unknown and unheard of these days.

Good call...Absolutely amazing album.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.