Grassroots coaching thread

MCFCHOWELL said:
My dad has been a coach here in Manchester, since I was under 9's. We're now Under 16's (but play in an under 17's division). The amount of effort he, and many others put in, is really admirable. IT takes so much hard work for such little notable rewards.
We've won numerous league title's, domestic cups and finally won the County Cup last year, (thanks to the Mcr FA for a great night playing at Curzon Ashton). We've got players at City, Oldham, Blackburn, Fleetwood, Bury and Bolton. At the moment we're looking to become a non-league teams youth squad. Currently had offers from three as of yet, so we the remaining lads should find a way into some form of decent football.
As another poster above me stated, the lack of good quality facilities is a large reason as to why we haven't succeeded nationally for some time. We have played on 3G pitches for some time now, the amount of games that would otherwise be cancelled on grass is remarkable. We've got 5 games before christmas, 3 of which are away. So, realistically we think we'll have 2 games in basically 2 months.
With the building of more 3G pitches, they'll hopefully be less games cancelled. Which means more football for everyone, which can only be a good thing?
Good to hear about your teams success and credit to your dad. Out of interest, what is his football background? Playing, coaching etc? Did he do any badges? I am not being snobby I am genuinely curious.

3G pitches are an absolute must though I agree, if we are not playing competitive football because the matches are cancelled, how are we expected to improve and develop as players?

give it to gordon said:
I ran a team from under 8's to under 12's until I was wrongly banned for 4 yrs !
I took players that ofter teams didnt want I was a quite coach not a shouter at matches I believed in letting the players learn the game though their mistakes and guidance before at half team and at the end of the match. I was send as a bit odd as I wouldnt scream and shout at the players during the match I wasnt a win at all cost coach I liked the players to learn different position, and not play little jonny at the back cos he was the biggest !. I have seen good players at 8yrs old only ever play at the back and when they are 15yrs they arent the biggest or the best at the back any more but dont know how to play in midfield.
Youth football is all about winning league matches thats why england play long ball football defenders are taught to just clear it because the coach wants to be able to walk into work and say my team won 10 nil, when in fact they just booted it to the fast kids up front !
My ban was for trying to stop bullying or team was called reserves we werent reserves we couldnt move to the other team in our club unless they were transferred over which took 3 weeks and costed £25. Other coaches would shout things like you should be beating this lot my more there only the *#*#ing reserve's . I got our second team names changed to youth to stop this but our league over ruled kent fa and called us reserves I moaned and with out me knowing I was banned for 4 yrs ! And it was upheld my kent fa !
I wrote to THE FA at soho and they looked into it and found I had done nothing wrong in fact kent fa were found to have changed some of the fa rules with out permission ! It took me a year and lots of letter's to clear my name. Did I go back into youth football not a chance its to bent for my liking
Most of my coaching was mostly small sided games lots of ball work every player had his own ball to use ! We used tennis ball to the cheap plastic balls, it was all about technique and learning to be comfy on the ball, but when we got to matches we played teams who play 100 miles an hour , long ball , other coaches who beat us would say you play the best football but you wont win many matches like that lol.
I think leagues should be stopped until under 14 at least , I did say I was send as odd !!!
Oh yea I did equal playing time to !
My level 1 was just turn up we were told you wouldnt fail you see charted standard clubs but it just a badge for the coach to put on his coat and the team to have it on the shirts
And you would be spot on it doing so. Let them play and learn the game, if you shout and tell them every little move to make, they wont learn and you might aswell wear a jersey yourself and get on the pitch.

In regards to coaches saying you wont win playing like that, as mentioned in previous posts, if stuck with and you get past the physical advantages once all players develop, you start to see the fruits of your labour.

From what drills you mentioned, it sounds like you have a fantastic coaching philosophy. All players having a ball is crucial, more touches on the ball is how we learn and improve, not by standing still without one.

citykev28 said:
I coach an under 8's team and it's hard work but the rewards are immeasurable. We win about a third of our matches and struggle because we're a young team in that 9 out of 10 boys have their birthdays after Christmas.

I did the Level 1 course earlier this year and have to say I enjoyed it. Some of the drills and games learned on it are far better than dribbling a ball in and out of cones.

Some coaches take it far too seriously though and winning is all that matters. I have three or four players who are far superior to the others but prefer to give them all equal playing time or the lesser ability kids will never improve.

My weekends are consumed by it mostly but it's one of the best things I've ever done.
Im glad to hear this Kev, I think that when you see how much the kids enjoy it and realise what a positive impact you can have on their lives, not only on the pitch, but outside of that, helping them to be a decent human being, it is awesome.

Equal playing time is crucial. If you start playing Phil all the time cause he is good and give Tom 5 minutes each week, how is Tom going to improve? But yep, many coaches just want to win. They are selfish and in it for themselves, so you like it was previously mentioned, they can walk into work and say their team thrashed another side.
I prefer to be able to say to fellow coaches or players parents, 'wow look at how much this lad has improved' 'or what a great pass he made in that game'. It is YOUTH FOOTBALL, not the premier league, the kids are their to learn and have fun, but sadly many ignore this.

kp789 said:
MCFCHOWELL said:
My dad has been a coach here in Manchester, since I was under 9's. We're now Under 16's (but play in an under 17's division). The amount of effort he, and many others put in, is really admirable. IT takes so much hard work for such little notable rewards.
We've won numerous league title's, domestic cups and finally won the County Cup last year, (thanks to the Mcr FA for a great night playing at Curzon Ashton). We've got players at City, Oldham, Blackburn, Fleetwood, Bury and Bolton. At the moment we're looking to become a non-league teams youth squad. Currently had offers from three as of yet, so we the remaining lads should find a way into some form of decent football.
As another poster above me stated, the lack of good quality facilities is a large reason as to why we haven't succeeded nationally for some time. We have played on 3G pitches for some time now, the amount of games that would otherwise be cancelled on grass is remarkable. We've got 5 games before christmas, 3 of which are away. So, realistically we think we'll have 2 games in basically 2 months.
With the building of more 3G pitches, they'll hopefully be less games cancelled. Which means more football for everyone, which can only be a good thing?
Good to hear about your teams success and credit to your dad. Out of interest, what is his football background? Playing, coaching etc? Did he do any badges? I am not being snobby I am genuinely curious.

3G pitches are an absolute must though I agree, if we are not playing competitive football because the matches are cancelled, how are we expected to improve and develop as players?
Was quite good as a kid, played for Bury, trial at City until Macken scored 4 past him (my dad was marking him). But he got injured around 17 ish, got released and lost the desire etc etc.
He actually got into coaching by accident, bizarrely I didnt like football until I started playing at Under 9's, he got roped into it from there on in, he's done most of the FA badges. He hopes to do his UEFA one soon and eventually get into non league management (he's hoping to do that with my team at the a non league I mentioned above). We've met some great people who coach, and I don't buy into the fact that we don't have good coaches, that's a lie. The problem is the amount and the surfaces; look at the Dutch, every youth club has its own 3G pitch, grass pitch all in good condition. We don't have that.
The closest we've ever got to having a good grass pitch was on Ronald Johnson Playing fields, until the number 1 community club FCUM .... came in and built their new stadium (which has overspent and is behind schedule) on our pitches. Instead of any other decent piece of land.

I agree we do need better pitches but who is going to pay for them ?

I think the main problem us the mind set of most coaches, I would say in my 7 yrs of coaching and watching my son play I think I only meet one other coach who wasnt a shouter . Most coaches would tell there players what to do all the time "down the line", "give it to gordon", "switch it", "square it square it OH great goal "!!!!!. It was like football by numbers the players were robots waiting to be told.
When I was ban my son went to another team he would get shouted at if he tried a trick or a piece of skill to try and beat a player , if it didnt work he would told to stop doing the fancy stuff and just pass it. He stopped playing .
All the time coaches are chasing the 3 points I dont think they will put the kids first, how many times have you seen the subs not get used ? Or only get 5 minutes.
Until you can get every coach to understand that its not just his players he is responsible to but the other team as well , by that I mean the atmosphere for the match is friendly.
We now have tape to keep parents back etc, the league bought in a ruling that under garments must be the same colour as the shorts the tape for the socks must be the same colour as the socks , its kids football not the premiership. Have you tried to buy yellow "cycling shorts" , they are about 5 times more than the black ones from sports direct ! !
The first game we had with these new rules the ref was wearing army shorts and a liverpool footy shirt !
These are kids if its cold and a 9yr old wants to wear his black trackie bottoms under his kit does it matter ??. NO as long as he is warm and enjoys his game that is what matters not that his parents need to find him a yellow pair of trackie bottoms to wear under his yellow shorts.
If leagues and county fa's need to be addressing the coaching and funding instead of bring in these silly rules just so they can fine clubs for the wrong colour sock tape
As you can tell I get angry with what goes on in kids football

Rant over !.

give it to gordon said:
I agree we do need better pitches but who is going to pay for them ?

I think the main problem us the mind set of most coaches, I would say in my 7 yrs of coaching and watching my son play I think I only meet one other coach who wasnt a shouter . Most coaches would tell there players what to do all the time "down the line", "give it to gordon", "switch it", "square it square it OH great goal "!!!!!. It was like football by numbers the players were robots waiting to be told.
When I was ban my son went to another team he would get shouted at if he tried a trick or a piece of skill to try and beat a player , if it didnt work he would told to stop doing the fancy stuff and just pass it. He stopped playing .
All the time coaches are chasing the 3 points I dont think they will put the kids first, how many times have you seen the subs not get used ? Or only get 5 minutes.
Until you can get every coach to understand that its not just his players he is responsible to but the other team as well , by that I mean the atmosphere for the match is friendly.
We now have tape to keep parents back etc, the league bought in a ruling that under garments must be the same colour as the shorts the tape for the socks must be the same colour as the socks , its kids football not the premiership. Have you tried to buy yellow "cycling shorts" , they are about 5 times more than the black ones from sports direct ! !
The first game we had with these new rules the ref was wearing army shorts and a liverpool footy shirt !
These are kids if its cold and a 9yr old wants to wear his black trackie bottoms under his kit does it matter ??. NO as long as he is warm and enjoys his game that is what matters not that his parents need to find him a yellow pair of trackie bottoms to wear under his yellow shorts.
If leagues and county fa's need to be addressing the coaching and funding instead of bring in these silly rules just so they can fine clubs for the wrong colour sock tape
As you can tell I get angry with what goes on in kids football

Rant over !.
Imagine if someone told a young Messi or Ronaldo to stop trying tricks and dribbles.

I agree with a lot of stuff you are saying, the attitude needs to change

MCFCHOWELL said:
The closest we've ever got to having a good grass pitch was on Ronald Johnson Playing fields, until the number 1 community club FCUM .... came in and built their new stadium (which has overspent and is behind schedule) on our pitches. Instead of any other decent piece of land.
Are you talking about the stadium which will have an artificial pitch and 2 junior pitches for use by the community and Moston Juniors FC? Okay then.......

zutroy said:
MCFCHOWELL said:
Are you talking about the stadium which will have an artificial pitch and 2 junior pitches for use by the community and Moston Juniors FC? Okay then.......
And are you talking about the artificial pitch which is too small for many ages to use, and the same junior pitches which are too small for many. Why could the stadium been built on any other land?

It was a big coincidence that Moston Juniors had just gotten a grant for a lot of money for Ronald Johnson (not sure on the amount) and suddenly FC swoop in, with the aid of the council, take the land and the grant for their new stadium, which they overspent on.
It was no coincidence the most successful Moston Junior team ever left, along with many others.

Doing my Youth Module Level 3 this week at St Georges park. Very Excited! Will be then be eligible to do the youth award. Has anyone got their youth award, im curious as to how challenging it is in comparison to level 2 or uefa B assessments.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.