“This was all about character.” — Kev

First, take a look at the number of games the backbone of this squad has played and won over the years
So many semi-finals/finals in cups and Champions League both knockouts and again QF finals, semi-finals/finals won/lost, then how many points each season to win the league

Close the voting, This Squad and manager are the best in world football

This was a classic game up there with all our greatest achievements if you take everything into account

Pep was fucking brilliant too I think he’s going to stay just to completely fuck these cunts over

Just hope the 115 doesn’t get settled for a couple more years
Bang on mate !!

I don't know about top spot, but the 99/00 team overachieved massively. We went on a 7-match winless streak but showed big balls to get over the line on the last day at Blackburn.

Wasn't it the West Brom game at home where we went 1 nil down and scored two late goals to win 2-1 that put an end to that run? On the verge of going 8 games and slipping out of the automatic qualification spots. Absolute pandemonium at the end. Great game to be at and a huge momentum shift to get us back on track. As was Blackburn obviously.

Wasn't it the West Brom game at home where we went 1 nil down and scored two late goals to win 2-1 that put an end to that run? On the verge of going 8 games and slipping out of the automatic qualification spots. Absolute pandemonium at the end. Great game to be at and a huge momentum shift to get us back on track. As was Blackburn obviously.
Correct. Prior's debut and the first time "Feed the goat" was sung.

Ahhh. Super Spencer Prior. Quite an inspired signing. Nothing wrong with your memory mate. Think the murderer scored for them if I remember correctly.
He did. Deflected shot over Weaver. Gary Megson had just come in, kept them up that year and built a side that won promotion with us in 2002. They were tough opposition that day.

I'm a bit sad remembering stuff like this :)

I think the City teams of this era have been peerless in terms of character / mental toughness when compared with other great teams. The way Pep only chooses players with the right mindset and then fosters this amazing resilience in them is just as important to our success as his tactical genius is.

That said, I’m reminded of something Michael Vaughn once said when discussing the much vaunted mental toughness of the great Aussie side of the 1990s and 2000s - the gist of it was that it’s easier to be resilient and hang in there in difficult situations when you know Hayden or Ponting or Gilchrist can smash bowlers out of the attack or when Warne and McGrath can run through the top order batsmen in a few overs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.