“Yeah, no…”

Just googled it actually and it’s been written about quite extensively by linguists. It was born In Australia apparently. I even found a little piece on its use by footballers which makes sense:

“The next time a footballer answers “yeah no”, be aware that there is more to the reply than just an “um-ah” prefix. In this sporting context, Professor Burridge says “yeah no” is often used in its abstract context; as a way to defuse a compliment by a bashful footballer.

“You’ve got to downplay the compliment but you can’t reject it because that seems ungracious. It’s a complicated little thing.”
I think he's giving the dopey cunts too much credit.

My pet peeve in interviews is “Good question…”

Don’t hear it so much in football interviews, but it’s an epidemic in the business world.

“By the way” at the end of every other sentence is the one that is currently annoying me.

Keown was the first one I noticed doing it. But it seems to have spread and all co-comms now appear to be contracted to use it at least 10 times per game.

McCoist has taken it one step further and not only does the pointless “ by the way “ at the end but doubles up with an equally meaningless “Let me tell you” at the start.

“By the way” at the end of every other sentence is the one that is currently annoying me.

Keown was the first one I noticed doing it. But it seems to have spread and all co-comms now appear to be contracted to use it at least 10 times per game.

McCoist has taken it one step further and not only does the pointless “ by the way “ at the end but doubles up with an equally meaningless “Let me tell you” at the start.
MCCoist loves to “tell you what” too.

Just googled it actually and it’s been written about quite extensively by linguists. It was born In Australia apparently. I even found a little piece on its use by footballers which makes sense:

“The next time a footballer answers “yeah no”, be aware that there is more to the reply than just an “um-ah” prefix. In this sporting context, Professor Burridge says “yeah no” is often used in its abstract context; as a way to defuse a compliment by a bashful footballer.

“You’ve got to downplay the compliment but you can’t reject it because that seems ungracious. It’s a complicated little thing.”
yep very common in australia almost everyone says it when you listen to interviews, its actually "yeah, nah" here

MCCoist loves to “tell you what” too.

My ranking of favourite co-comms is pretty much a list of how little they talk.

Listening to Hinchcliffe on the Leeds game the other night. He didn’t say anything that particularly offended me. But Jesus Christ, I don’t think he shut the fuck up for longer than about two seconds in the whole game.

I meet a lot of new crew members and if someone introduces themselves as “Hi! I’m John, by the way,” I almost always answer “Oh, we must be related!” When they ask, “We are?” I simply reply, “We must be, because I’m (ChicagoBlue), by the way!”

It’s a bit obnoxious, but like for you, it is a source of irritation! :-/

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.