0.9 reoccuring = 1

Damocles said:
BlueSam said:
gaudinho's stolen car said:
I'd put it just before.

It cannot be placed anywhere before! due to its nature.. it IS 1.

No it isn't. We often use 0.9r as another way of expressing the value of the symbol 1 but this does not mean that they are one and the same. Just because we sometimes substitute Britain for the United Kingdom doesn't mean that they are the same either.

If you want to be correct, you can possibly claim that the value of 0.9r and 1 are the same (but SkyBlueFlux may have a heart attack) but 0.9r and 1 are different concepts and are different numbers.

Fair enough I can go with they are both the same number expressed in other forms, but you cannot place 0.9r on a numberline anywhere other than 1 in our present number system.<br /><br />-- Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:24 pm --<br /><br />
element_mcfc said:
okay so if 0.9r isnt one

Whats 10 Divided by 3?

And what is that number times by 3?

this is the nature of the problem, our number system has more than 1 way of representing a number, 1 third is 0.3r which then multiplied by 3 is 1 and 0.9r.

BlueSam said:
Damocles said:
BlueSam said:
It cannot be placed anywhere before! due to its nature.. it IS 1.

No it isn't. We often use 0.9r as another way of expressing the value of the symbol 1 but this does not mean that they are one and the same. Just because we sometimes substitute Britain for the United Kingdom doesn't mean that they are the same either.

If you want to be correct, you can possibly claim that the value of 0.9r and 1 are the same (but SkyBlueFlux may have a heart attack) but 0.9r and 1 are different concepts and are different numbers.

Fair enough I can go with they are both the same number expressed in other forms, but you cannot place 0.9r on a numberline anywhere other than 1 in our present number system.

-- Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:24 pm --

element_mcfc said:
okay so if 0.9r isnt one

Whats 10 Divided by 3?

And what is that number times by 3?

this is the nature of the problem, our number system has more than 1 way of representing a number, 1 third is 0.3r which then multiplied by 3 is 1 and 0.9r.

I just cant help basing my logic on the fact that the gap between 0.9 and 1 is bigger than the gap between 0.99 and 1, which in turn is bigger than the gap between 0.999 and 1....and so on.......

.......so, with the gap getting smaller and smaller, surely there isn't a point where it can't get any smaller and ticking over to '1', thus rendering them two different numbers?

Right or wrong, this thread has gone on far too long!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.