01/02 Season

Blue Hefner

I've just watched the season review on YouTube. What a team!

A few things that stuck out:
How good was Bernabia, and how much would he cost in his prime today?
I always liked Jensen the left-back but can't remember why he left
We seemed to score lots of rebounds
Good to see players celebrating scoring V their old team even if the goals were against us
SWP should never have gone to play under such a negative manager, Arsenal or abroad would have been better moves
And finally, it's such a shame we didn't build on it properly, I know the following season was good but Keegan seemed to lose the plot in the new stadium and bought a lot of shit

Blue Hefner said:
I've just watched the season review on YouTube. What a team!

A few things that stuck out:
How good was Bernabia, and how much would he cost in his prime today?
I always liked Jensen the left-back but can't remember why he left
We seemed to score lots of rebounds
Good to see players celebrating scoring V their old team even if the goals were against us
SWP should never have gone to play under such a negative manager, Arsenal or abroad would have been better moves
And finally, it's such a shame we didn't build on it properly, I know the following season was good but Keegan seemed to lose the plot in the new stadium and bought a lot of shit

I liked Jensen dont get why we sold him and replaced him with Tarnant who was on more money and was basically a slow old version of Jensen
I remember Jensens volley at Maine road maybe V Leeds great goal
Tarnant loved a shot mind

Keegans down fall was when he got his own way and forced Wardle into buying Fowler after Bernstein said he used his season budget
and he could have him at the end of the season
Once he had free reign and not having Bernstein keeping him in line he bought some shockers

If you look at the inspired signings Keegan made when he was on a budget like
Benarbia Berkovic Schmeichal Pearce Foe on loan
then you look at who he brought in once Wardle let him get away with it such as Sibierski Mills Seaman Mcmanaman etc who were all on mega wages and not arsed about the shirt this was Keegans downfall

You are correct. We did not build on it and went backwards quite quickly. The first season in the premier league Ali b and especially berkovic were still heavily influential with the new addition of Anelka putting them in. At that point we still had a lot of players that would fight for the badge and loved the club but in the first season at the new stadium he brought in a lot of players that were well past their best and had no prior connection to city. Players like fowler, mcmanaman, Bosvelt, Sinclair, seaman, sibierski were all very average and had no heart. These players were on high wages at a time when the club couldn't afford it. I think by the time Keegan left we were about £60 million in debt with an aging team with no passion. The sale of shauny wright was heart braking at the time but kept us afloat for the next 2 seasons. In reality we only spent a fraction of the £21 million that we brought in from him. The rest went to paying off debts.

Back on to the subject of that season. It was a great year, attractive football, lots of goals and promoted as champions. Personal highlights were beating millwall away with no city fans there and the home win against Norwich with ten men. It was a great atmosphere that day.

The money had run out hence Keegan was signing free transfers or players who cost a few hundred grand mainly, as well as loans.

Still beating Bolton 6-2 and United 4-1 showed there were highlights. David James was an inspired signing.

Schmichael and James were great signings, David Seaman however was not.

I think David James was the best goalie I'd seen at City up to that point. I'm 31 now so only Coton before him stood out

Having just watched the season review, its clear that Weaver was struggling that season, such a shame he didn't live up his his potential

Blue Hefner said:

I think David James was the best goalie I'd seen at City up to that point. I'm 31 now so only Coton before him stood out

Having just watched the season review, its clear that Weaver was struggling that season, such a shame he didn't live up his his potential

I'd love to see a 27yr Bert Trautmann playing in the PL. I never saw Frank Swift but, even though memory can play tricks, I think I haven't seen better than Bert.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Blue Hefner said:

I'd love to see a 27yr Bert Trautmann playing in the PL. I never saw Frank Swift but, even though memory can play tricks, I think I haven't seen better than Bert.
I was lucky enough to see the great man, albeit in his final few years. In those days, shoulder charging (we might call it blant barging nowadays) was very much part of the game, but Bert was always in charge at corners and if the ball was delivered into the middle of the box then it was always his, caught, no matter the shit that was going on around him. Unlike today when keepers just seem glued to the goal line.

Blue Hefner said:

David James is still the best goalkeeper i've seen at City. He was exemplary for us, top quality. Joe Hart may reach that level one day but he's not there yet.

Was my first year as a season ticket holder, although had attended most of the previous 2-3 years. Absolutely loved the football we played that season and all the goals we scored, even with 10 men! I seem to remember playing Millwall (could be wrong) and we had a man sent off in the first 10 mins but still went on to win. Also Berkovic's goal against Norwich (again think we had a man sent off early also), one of the best I have seen in a City shirt. Still remember Ali B's debut and my Dad said after it that we've just seen something special and would remember the game for a long time (Birmingham 3-0). Brings back good memories.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.