1 for the "older" City fans.

Matt Gray signed for City on 26 Feb 1963. He made his debut v Birmingham City on 2nd March 1963 (scored one) at Maine Rd.

He went on to make: 87 (plus 4 as sub) League appearancess (21 goals); 3 FAC (1 goal); 7 League Cup (1 goal) = 97 (plus 4) & 23 goals in first team games.

When he signed for City he was known for his heading skills (did this carry on at City? I can't find any suggestion that this was a key feature of his play at Maine Rd). The MEN called him the "best header of the ball in Scotland" when he signed.

He arrived at City during one of the worst winters and that affected the Blues. City were relegated that season.

When Mercer took over his chances became more limited and he moved to Port Elizabeth, South Africa on 17th April 1967 on a free transfer.

Prior to City he had played for Third Lanark with Alex Harley (who had also moved to City in 1962-63).

Hope this helps. I've just set up my own Facebook account where images of all my books including sample pages (from my first in 1989 to my most recent in Dec 2010) are shown. It will carry news of my progress on future writing, including "The Journey Rebuilding Manchester City", as the season progresses. I also may start adding answers to questions like this within a Discussion section or something if there's interest.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gary-James/289818652815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gary-James/289818652815</a>

We signed Alex Harley from Third Lanark, he is still, I think, our post war top scorer in a season His most memorable goal was a last kick of the game winner at the swamp that made it 3-2 to City.

We signed Matt Gray from Third Lanark too and whilst he was popular with the fans he did not have the same impact and we were also in Div 2 by then

That was when Kevan and Murray were our top goal scorers I was at Maine Road for the 8-1 against Scunny which was about 5 days after we gave a 6-1 pasting to someone else then 4-1 pasting away to Scunny before going to Swindon and losing 3-1 a week later in the Cup

Alex Harley went to Brum and basically disappeared after one season

City struggled for another couple of seasons until a guy I had never heard of got the managers job ... His name was ermmm ...... Joe Mercer ..... and the rest is 46 more years of history

Hopefully someone can correct any errors above

Cheers Blues

bluwes said:
He scored from the half way line against Scunthorpe at home. I think it was a Boxing Day around 1965, and I think we won 8-1. I was only 11 at the time

We scored a hatful over Christmas '65. Think we played Scunny twice, got another 6 away, and then we had Rotherham at home for another 6. Think we got twenty goals in three games.

Re: 1 for the

portisheadblue said:
We signed Alex Harley from Third Lanark, he is still, I think, our post war top scorer in a season His most memorable goal was a last kick of the game winner at the swamp that made it 3-2 to City.

Harley scored 23 League goals in 1962-63 (from 40 apps) but the next season Kevan netted 30 (also from 40) - not bettered until 1971-72 when Lee got 33 (from 42, but that did include 1 or 2 penalties!). Prior to Harley Smith & Hayes had scored 23 and Westcott & Hayes had scored 25 (40s/50s).

Kevan remains second only to Tommy Johnson in goals per season, and is still the best post war.

You're spot on about the Sept 1962 OT derby: "It was an exciting finale there was miss and counter-miss until City won it with the last kick of the match. Kennedy's long ball out of defence bounced menacingly towards the United penalty area. Foulkes and Harley raced after it, but the City man arrived first and shot past Gaskell." - my report of it in "The Pride Of Manchester" (page 181).

Well done to Gary for correcting my befuddled memories of long ago and thanks for reviving more memories of The Goal at the swamp ... in it's day it got as much coverage as wooneys effort the other week

Of course there was no tv coverage of it so it was all based on photos and typesetter graphics to show the kick the bounce the shot the goal the delirium !!!!!

The Sunday newspapers were full of it

In those days you stood where you liked at football match so me and my mate Pete stood on the terrace at the stretford end whee the goal went in.

Just started to read latest version of A History of Football but it's too heavy to travel with!! Very good read though.

Yup, remember him well. I would have been around 13 at the time and saw him play several times from the platt lane stand at Maine rd, it had wooden bench seats at that time.Think he played with Derek Kevan , he was a decent player is he still alive ?

Matt Gray was one of Les McDowell's better signings Along with Alex Harley Matt was one of my favourite players of that time Sadly it wan't one of our most successful periods Once Joe Mercer took over I don't think Matt featured very much My dim memories of that time was that Matt was an extremely skillful 'inside forward' in what was a poor side That first season we went down we had some stunning results but being City we had some shockers and it hit rock bottom the season after when George Poyser took over from Les McDowell who if memory serves ended up as manager of Oldham Athletic
I think he was unlucky with the timing of his signing for us as the team was in decline

Alex Harley's wiki says he died in Birmingham aged only 32 in 1969.
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Harley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Harley</a>
ure_harley_595_sns-1.jpg

here he is pictured playing against Ian Ure presumably at the now defunct Third Lanark

i liked matt gray. he was solid, dependable & easily one of the better players in a generally poor city side. city were relegated in his first season & most of his city career was spent in the 2nd division.

when city played bury at home in 63-64 harry dowd injured his shoulder & as there were no subs in those days harry went up front & matt went in goal. matt played well in goal & harry, with his shoulder strapped up, slotted in the equaliser. bury had taken the lead with a goal from a 17 year old making his league debut. what was his name again? oh yes, colin bell.

-- Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:01 am --

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
bluwes said:
He scored from the half way line against Scunthorpe at home. I think it was a Boxing Day around 1965, and I think we won 8-1. I was only 11 at the time

We scored a hatful over Christmas '65. Think we played Scunny twice, got another 6 away, and then we had Rotherham at home for another 6. Think we got twenty goals in three games.

i saw both home games. 8-1 v scunny (strangely only 1-0 at half time, city going bonkers in the 2nd half), 6-1 against rotherham & 4-2 away to scunny.

-- Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:09 am --

portisheadblue said:

i went to the game but missed the winner. city went 2-0 up but the rags pulled it back to 2-2 & looked more likely to grab a winner. my dad, who was a bag of nerves when watching city, did his usual trick & decided we'd leave 5 minutes before the end. when we were walking up warwick road we heard a huge roar & we both assumed the rags had scored. it wasn't until we got home that we found out city had won.

we missed so many late goals like this, including the 3rd goal in the 67-68 swamp derby, which is the main reason why i never ever leave a match before the end.

He cost £30,000 + £1 apparently!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thefreelibrary.com/WHERE+ARE+THEY+NOW%3F+Matt+Gray%3B+Pound+for+pound,+Matt+was+Thirds'...-a061057885" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thefreelibrary.com/WHERE+ARE ... a061057885</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.