1 in 10 three-year olds have tooth decay

A lot of dental issues are hereditary and take a long time to wean out of the "system". Unfortunately my grandmother had to have all hers taken out (not sure why) when in her twenties, her daughter (my mother) had all hers out in her early forties despite making all efforts to eat sensibly etc., etc.. So far it looks like I should keep mine a lot longer than that, but I had to have loads of fillings as a kid. All the descendants of my gran have had dental issues.

I nag my kids non-stop about eating and drinking healthily - and they have had less issues than I had despite having more temptations ( and additionally having a grandparent on the mother's side with no teeth at twenty) - but kids are kids and from what I can gather, pretty much all of them sneak sweets and fizzy drinks when the parents aren't looking - don't be fooled.

I do find it strange that the health and diets of the parents before and during pregnancy (for the mother only, of course) isn't cited as a cause more often as well as the obvious ones.

I am surprised the great Fluoride debate hasn't been mentioned in this debate. I live in an area where the water has been fluoridated for 30+ years.
My children have no fillings and perfect teeth.

The anti fluoride lobby is very strong and vocal, there are many papers stating that fluoride is a poison and causes enamel staining. This only happens in high concentrations. The very, very low dose that is in the water supply can only have a beneficial effect

Brush your teeth twice/three times a day using a fluoride toothpaste and with warm water.

If you must have sugar, make sure you have it with a glass of water and in and around mealtime.

Never brush your teeth, or use mouthwash immediately after having something acidic. The reaction will cause enamel erosion.

Visit your dentist every 3/4 months.

Very important- Tell your kids to breathe through their nose so that their facial development isn't stunted so that their is enough room in the jaw for the teeth to come in straight (and so be less prone to trapping food and causing erosion).

Try and floss once a day (although not suitable for people with gingival problems).

A few basic points that would save the NHS billions if parents cared to find out.

My 3 year old twins will be lucky to have teeth if they don't start fucking behaving! :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.