The Lakeland Fells...A Wainwright...Book 6
The Lakeland Fells...A Wainwright...Book 7
Mayfair..June 1976
Health and Efficiency...August 1965
The Bombing of Dresden...David Irving

Mozzer said:
shackattack said:
martin dillon-the shankill butchers
Without digging up any N.I politics, that book is more horrifying than anything Stephen King could write.
totally agree. you read it and it's hard to believe people could be so barbaric, there was a dvd based loosely on it called the resurrection man

stony said:
chabal said:
The Wasp Factory is getting a lot of references.

I remember looking at it in a book shop and being impressed by the fact that the back cover contained not just the good reviews but the critical ones too.

Its the only Iain Banks book I've read, and its not the sort of stuff I usually read. Some of it was funny, some of it pure genius, but some of it was very disturbing. There's one particular chapter that describes what sent Eric over the edge and it was fucking horrible. Its stuck with me ever since.
I've never had the urge to go out and try another of his books.

I read this thread a few months ago and a lot of people suggested this book, christ, no wonder were all so weird and fucked up in the cellar. Im about half way through and i really don't know what to think about it. Frank is one seriously messed up individual, if there are people really like this in the world then no one is safe. Not even got to the Eric part yet but i can sense something very disturbing.

Its certain things in it that have just stuck in my mind and i can't stop replaying them over and over.

The Football Business ( The Modern Football Classic) [IT IS NOT A FUCKING CLASSIC]
Football In The New Media Age
A Game Of Two Halves? The Business of Football
Football Brands
The End of the Terraces - The Transformation of English Football in the 1990s
The People's Game? Football, Finance and Society

I have exactly four more sat on this table with me however I can't even write their book titles without losing the will to live, let alone actually write my dissertation.

That's my challenge done, don't touch any of the above listed, simply burn them. Apart from Football Brands, that's actually readable.

willipp said:
stony said:
chabal said:
The Wasp Factory is getting a lot of references.

I remember looking at it in a book shop and being impressed by the fact that the back cover contained not just the good reviews but the critical ones too.

Its the only Iain Banks book I've read, and its not the sort of stuff I usually read. Some of it was funny, some of it pure genius, but some of it was very disturbing. There's one particular chapter that describes what sent Eric over the edge and it was fucking horrible. Its stuck with me ever since.

I read this thread a few months ago and a lot of people suggested this book, christ, no wonder were all so weird and fucked up in the cellar. Im about half way through and i really don't know what to think about it. Frank is one seriously messed up individual, if there are people really like this in the world then no one is safe. Not even got to the Eric part yet but i can sense something very disturbing.

Its certain things in it that have just stuck in my mind and i can't stop replaying them over and over.

It's a great book and it is so darkly comical that it allows the more unpleasant passages to be accommodated.

I still think The Bridge was his best ever book.

chabal said:
willipp said:
stony said:

It's a great book and it is so darkly comical that it allows the more unpleasant passages to be accommodated.

Im only half way through and its a gripping read without really enjoying it. The part with the Rabbits was funny but the rest so far is just disturbing. Banks must have an extremely twisted dark mind.

The count of monte Cristo - Alexander Dumas
Three men in a boat Jerome k jerome
Woman in White Wilkie Collins
Dubliners - James Joyce
Jane eyre Charlotte bronte
African adventure Willard Price
George's marvellous medicine Roald Dahl
Down and out in Paris and London, the road to Wigan Pier & 1984 -all by George Orwell

manctheknife said:
A tale of two cities
a Christmas carol
the giant under the snow
the grapes of wrath
down and out in Paris and london
kinky Friedman crime novels
the winter of Frankie machine
the third policeman
unforgivable blackness,the jack Johnson story
Perry boys

Down and out in Paris and London was truly brilliant but it did make it seem that being down and out in Paris would have been infinitely preferable. I only wish I couldve met the person that jules was based on

willipp said:
chabal said:
willipp said:

Im only half way through and its a gripping read without really enjoying it. The part with the Rabbits was funny but the rest so far is just disturbing. Banks must have an extremely twisted dark mind.

Exactly how I felt about it. Some books you can go back to and enjoy again. I've never felt the need to revisit the wasp factory.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.