10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see Jack besides Rodri
It hasn't happened in 3 years, in that time we've seen bernardo, kovacic, kdb, foden, Lewis, stones, nunes, Alvarez and Bobb all get minutes there from the current squad ahead of grealish not to mention players no longer with us, why do you think it's going to happen now?

Pep bloody loves positional versatility in his players above anything, this is the man who has had Bernardo and foden play left back and centre back john stones as an 8 in a champions league final, if he thought grealish could do that role, we would have seen it by now.

Grealish's game doesn't lend to the tempo we need and demand from our central midfielders, his style of holding the ball, taking many touches and drawing players to him is the complete opposite of the quick, 1 or 2 touch passing Pep wants from Rodri's partner, he can't be doing that in central midfield.

I actually have no qualms about grealish now being able to do the defensive side in that position were he to be put there but the core trait mentioned above that almost identifies him as a player is what I suspect is the primary reason we will never see him there with any regularity and I have no idea why so many people are still so hung up on the idea of Grealish playing central.

It hasn't happened in 3 years, in that time we've seen bernardo, kovacic, kdb, foden, Lewis, stones, nunes, Alvarez and Bobb all get minutes there from the current squad ahead of grealish not to mention players no longer with us, why do you think it's going to happen now?

Pep bloody loves positional versatility in his players above anything, this is the man who has had Bernardo and foden play left back and centre back john stones as an 8 in a champions league final, if he thought grealish could do that role, we would have seen it by now.

Grealish's game doesn't lend to the tempo we need and demand from our central midfielders, his style of holding the ball, taking many touches and drawing players to him is the complete opposite of the quick, 1 or 2 touch passing Pep wants from Rodri's partner, he can't be doing that in central midfield.

I actually have no qualms about grealish now being able to do the defensive side in that position were he to be put there but the core trait mentioned above that almost identifies him as a player is what I suspect is the primary reason we will never see him there with any regularity and I have no idea why so many people are still so hung up on the idea of Grealish playing central.
Fair analysis, I would just love to see him play there in one of the pre-season games, there might be a surprise performance in there

Fair analysis, I would just love to see him play there in one of the pre-season games, there might be a surprise performance in there
Looking at the state of the travelling squad it could go one of two ways I reckon. We either play the few first teamers we do have in their proper positions and fill the gaps with kids to at least get them up and running and ready which is how we should do it in my eyes or if pep feels the squad is just too young, we could see him compensate for that in the early friendlies at least, until we get a few more back by sticking his first teamers out of position and more central to give the spine a bit of experience in which case there's a chance we might actually see grealish central, along with gvardiol cb. wouldn't expect it to be a sign of the future though.

Jackie lad, just show 'em all what you are made of this coming season. You play in a Blue Manchester City shirt just play like a true Manchester City Blue. That's all we ask (well ok I ask) of you.

If he messes up, I'll hold my hands up, but that lad, like every one of our players (IMHO) walks on to that pitch to play his best. :-) :-)

Last edited:

I agree with most of this. However I think Jack was a huge asset in out treble-winning season, especially in the toughest European and PL away matches where we had to keep control of matches to have any chance of winning. This season will be pivotal for him and he has a head start on most of the team by missing out on the Euros.

I think that Jack would probably shine more as an individual talent if he was more central. More passing angles and options etc. He shone best for Villa when he dropped deep and ran with the ball up into the half-spaces.

But I think that he probably most effectively impacts the team from the left. He's very tactically and positionally disciplined, and if your game is about manouevring your opponent in order to open them up (which ours typically is) then it's really valuable to have someone on the wing who can hold the ball, draw opponents to him and find the right pass to teammates in space.

I'd like to see him given a shot in the middle, just to see what he can do, but I don't think it's likely to be a long-term plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.