11 | Oleksandr Zinchenko - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think some on here appreciate just how good and reliable a player Zincheko is, and a few keep mentioning he gets turned inside out and skinned for pace sometimes, which does happen. But he always tries his best and never goes hiding. He retains the ball and links up play well, and uses the ball intelligently with good passing ability.

It seemed a couple of seasons back Wolves were interested in signing Alexander and it's reputed he pleaded with Pep to stay, and I'm really glad he did. He is a model pro who seems happy enough to sit on the bench one week and play the next. Not many 'squad' players out there who would come in and be as patient and effective a player as Zinco, and such a down to earth and likable guy too.

A player like Zinchenko is very rare and we're lucky to get him. Maybe he is not among the best player in our squad, but he is still good enough to be an option and depth. Him being consumate professional, never complain his role in team and will do whatever manager asked for.

He should be one of role model for our club, a great role model for academy player whenever they started to join the first team squad and want to become regular.

Zinchenko path to the first team is not easy and actually harder than academy player. He at first is seen as CFG player when we bought him, who will play a few first team games if he lucky then send him on loan before inevitably getting sold.

But because his never give up attitude and willing to work hard to earn his way up to this great City side, he eventually earn the manager respect (which kind of big deal to earn it from world class manager like Pep) and have place in our squad eventhough is not reguler starter.

Being squad player in this great City team is the highest achievement he can get for someone that never been seen as world class player and we should respect the hard work he put to get in there.

Zinchenko has had a few really good outing lately. I wouldn't mind at all if he were in our squad as a backup/utility player going forward. At the same time - take for example our game against Wolves. Zinchenko was obviously the least gifted passer in our starting 11 by quite a bit. He'll never be a first choice starter - but as a squad player able to fill in when needed I think he's excellent.

After his best game for us vs Newcastle, I thought that was his worse. His distribution was a little awry.
Obviously your Ukranian guest took too much out of him at training @Didsbury Dave . Tell the lad to go a little easier next time ;-)
Look again, his distribution was notable in KDB first 2 goals. Some humans can run faster than others, it was one of those nights, but the snail was still 5-1 more successful than the hare.

Zinchenko has had a few really good outing lately. I wouldn't mind at all if he were in our squad as a backup/utility player going forward. At the same time - take for example our game against Wolves. Zinchenko was obviously the least gifted passer in our starting 11 by quite a bit. He'll never be a first choice starter - but as a squad player able to fill in when needed I think he's excellent.

You think Zinny is a worse passer of the ball than Sterling?

It’s amazing how much different a game looks when you’re not watching it through a prism of stress. I rewatched the match this morning and Zinchenko was way better than I had imagined last night. In fact I made it 77 accurate passes (albeit the huge majority pretty straightforward) and only 4 inaccurate passes all evening. There was a little period of sloppiness immediately before and after half time when he was lucky not to concede a penalty, got caught dawdling in possession and set up a counterattack, and then gave away a silly free kick in a dangerous position and copped for a yellow into the bargain, but apart from that he was actually pretty solid throughout. I can only assume that confirmation bias kicked in after that little poor spell and coloured my judgment for the rest of the evening! My apologies!
Bigger the man who revises his opinion on a clearer look at the facts, more should follow your example.

Sure he’s a good lad etc etc

However if you were the opposition manager looking to exploit any potential weakness in this very good side you would target Zinchenko….

so for me we need to look to improve that position.

you might say that position is Cancelo’s

but I still feel he could be improved upon as a left sided defender.

Who it should be is another question altogether - but I just feel it’s our weakest position as a team
Opposition managers may look at his height & slim build but the facts show he has been our most solid left back, when fit and played over the past 3/4 seasons. He may seem to be a weakness individually but he actually strengthens us as a team, whether he is a good lad or not is not relevant. Some here have suggested Cancelo & Zinchenko as our left backs and we buy a right back to push Walker. Very few of his critics put forward names of elite left backs to replace him, at least not at less than € 50 million, maybe we should forget his tiny fee and desire to play in midfield and that he needs to be patted on the head as a "nice guy" and respect what he has achieved as a left back, without prejudice.

How far were you from your screen ? "least gifted passer", wow, under pressure from a speedier winger he still managed to play vital roles in Kevin's first 2 goals.

How far were you from your screen ? "least gifted passer", wow, under pressure from a speedier winger he still managed to play vital roles in Kevin's first 2 goals.
Perhaps there's a misunderstanding - I claim that Zinchenko was the least gifted passer in our side - I'm not talking about the opposition.

In case there is no misunderstanding - and you feel that Zinchenko under pressure is as good a passer as our starters - then I 100% disagree. It's so obviously not the case that reasonably mannaged opposition will target Zinchenko when he starts.

I very much like Zinchenko and hope he remains as a squad player.

Last edited:
Perhaps there's a misunderstanding - I claim that Zinchenko was the least gifted passer in our side - I'm not talking about the opposition.

In case there is no misunderstanding - and you feel that Zinchenko under pressure is as good a passer as our starters - then I 100% disagree. It's so obviously not the case that reasonably mannaged opposition will target Zinchenko when he starts.

I very much like Zinchenko and hope he remains as a squad player.
No misunderstanding, rewatching games and reviewing match stats. will refute your claim that he "was the least gifted passer in our side". If you misread what I wrote there will be misunderstanding, I said "under pressure from a speedier winger he still managed to play vital roles in Kevin's first 2 goals" , that is a fact, rewatch the game on www.mancity.com, I did not say " Zinchenko under pressure is as good a passer as our starters" , if I "feel that" I would say that. High quality managed opposition also target him, yet one of the greatest managers of our time still plays him against those opponents, as the stats. over recent seasons prove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.