125 years of City on Saturday

the game yesterday reminded me of the old manchester city and why so many of us stuck together in the bad times and it was you just never know ??? the song we never win at home and we never win away, was born because of the city team turning up could lose and lose again, but you knew a big score or a great game was just around the corner and you had to be there when in the future you talk about the watford game 200.000 fans turned up and i swear (i was there)

we all know city can batter teams and we could score double figures is everything falls in place at the right time and watford got away with it and 8,0 was lucky ?? it could have been anything 12 or 15 and hurtful to them and the fans, city will get little credit from the game and it will be watford was shocking and showing no fight, but the truth is city was just to good for them and great players find space and time and punish teams

when the dust settles and in the cold heart day the city team was without sterling laporte sane stones jesus and a couple of more players who have played this season and we can do that to a good watford team that should have beat arsenal last week ?? its crazy and its way i love manchester city

As a kid in Ardwick in the early 60s I lived in the walk up flats which were adjacent to the Mancunian Way when it was built. There was a pub at the end of our street called Birdies. I seem to remember it was actually named The Shakespeare but as it was decades ago I can't be sure. I saw loads of huge fights spilling out of that place all the time as Sunday afternoons were a prime time for them.

My pyschopathic, drunken father drank in there and regularly came home covered in cuts and bruises after yet another fight. He said a favourite pastime was when a stranger came in the vault, drank a pint and then put the empty pot upside down on the table. This was a challenge that he'd fight anyone in the pub and generally my father was happy to oblige. It was demolished to make way for the Mancunian Way.

Update: I have done some research on Birdies / The Shakespeare and there is an interesting City link. That pub, The Talbot in Stretford, The Didsbury, The Seymour and the Britons Protection were built by a Welshman named Chapman. His son, JE Chapman, ran The Shakespeare and became City chairman.

Further update: John Chapman was the first Manchester City chairman - 1894-1902. He then did another stint from 1914-20.

I posted the first part of the above in The Most Mental Pub in Manchester thread in Off Topic but having done a bit of research on Birdies / The Shakespeare it appears our first chairman, John Chapman, also ran it. His father built several well known and still open pubs too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.