15 Years today (19th Dec)

Re: 15 Years tomorrow

From todays MEN.

December 19, 1998: York City 2 Manchester City 1... it was the blackest day in City’s history – a moment when a famous football club had sunk to an all-time low.

The Blues were the laughing stock of English football after changing managers and chairman so often that Maine Road had become a by-word for a soap opera.

This compelling saga took a new twist when cash-strapped City lost 2-1 that day to York City at Bootham Crescent, a defeat that plunged the famous club down into 12th position in the Second Division, the third tier of English football.

Joe Royle had taken over as manager earlier that year but had been unable to prevent a slide that threatened to take a once-proud club into oblivion.

A staggering 11 home defeats told its own sorry story.

Relegation to the Nationwide League Division Two had been confirmed in May 1998, despite a resounding 5-2 win at Stoke on the final day of the season when Georgi Kinkladze made his farewell appearance for the club.

The rapid decline of one of the biggest names in English football was complete.

It was arguably the saddest day in the club’s history though worse was to follow at York, seven months after the £5m sale of Kinkladze to Ajax had virtually saved the club from bankruptcy.

The forward line at York was on a different financial football planet to today’s multi-millionaire stars such as Sergio Aguero and Alvaro Negredo.

The attack at Bootham Crescent that night was led by Gareth Taylor, a £400,000 buy from Sheffield United, and goalscorer Craig Russell, a striker signed by previous boss Frank Clark as part of a swap deal with Nicky Summerbee from Sunderland.

Australian Danny Allsopp, a £10,000 buy from Port Melbourne Sharks, came on as substitute and missed an easy chance at 1-1 before York grabbed an embarrassing winner.

It was the era of Lee Bradbury, a misfit striker bought for an outrageous £3.25m from Portsmouth.

Seven days later on Boxing Day, Dutch defender Gerard Wiekens scored in a scrappy 1-0 win at Wrexham and that was to prove the turning point, a seminal moment in the club’s colourful history.

A rousing second half to the season saw the Blues beat Gillingham in that epic play-off final at Wembley to secure promotion, saving them from another spell in the doldrums.

The month City lost at York they were also dumped out of the Auto Windscreens Shield, losing 2-1 at home to Mansfield Town in front of 3,007 fans, of the lowest crowd in their history.

The following evening United played Bayern Munich in front of a full house at Old Trafford in the Champions League.

It was that season the club revealed plans to move into a plush new stadium in east Manchester after the Commonwealth Games in 2002.

The rest, as they say, is history!

By then I had become numb to it, I thought we were on our way out as a club and that we would just keep going down the leagues till we were kicked out

"York Away" is a term which often gets overused and abused (as well as joked about) but today, fifteen years on, it is certainly worthwhile reflecting upon.

I went to quite a few away games that season, but not this one. I was living in the New Forest in Hampshire at the time and because of the time of year I would have struggled to get up for any game, even at Maine Road.

At the time it was a low point in a series of low points and I guess the point about hitting rock bottom is that you don't know when you've arrived there until you look in the rear-view mirror.

What has happened since that day has an unmatched narrative in team sport anywhere in the world imo. We are now one of the most talked about sporting entities on the planet with an exciting future mapped out before us, but we should never lose sight of days like 19th December 1998. They are as much a part of our history as Sergio's goal or winning at the Allianz Arena and the day we forget that, is the day we come just the same as fans of Liverpool and Arsenal.

We have a history as proud as any other club and that very much includes losing to York on 19th December 1998 to go 12th in the third tier of English football.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
"York Away" is a term which often gets overused and abused (as well as joked about) but today, fifteen years on, it is certainly worthwhile reflecting upon.

I went to quite a few away games that season, but not this one. I was living in the New Forest in Hampshire at the time and because of the time of year I would have struggled to get up for any game, even at Maine Road.

At the time it was a low point in a series of low points and I guess the point about hitting rock bottom is that you don't know when you've arrived there until you look in the rear-view mirror.

What has happened since that day has an unmatched narrative in team sport anywhere in the world imo. We are now one of the most talked about sporting entities on the planet with an exciting future mapped out before us, but we should never lose sight of days like 19th December 1998. They are as much a part of our history as Sergio's goal or winning at the Allianz Arena and the day we forget that, is the day we come just the same as fans of Liverpool and Arsenal.

We have a history as proud as any other club and that very much includes losing to York on 19th December 1998 to go 12th in the third tier of English football.

Absolutely this GDM, and we are the richer for it. Like you I didn't go to York, but I did go to some other right horror shows including a truly appalling defeat at Wycombe at the end of an industrial estate. A 0-0 draw at home to a Bristol Rovers team containing half a dozen teenagers the week before York, was the worst I saw us play that season, but in terms of demoralisation, I know that I will never feel worse than the moment Fat Bob put Gillingham 2-0 up at Wembley. That despair is undoubtedly the reason that Paul Dickov's equaliser remains the goal I celebrated more wildly than any other in our history, Sergio included. I finished up on the floor 3 rows from where I'd started out on those old low slung Wembley bench seats. I wouldn't change either of those two extreme sensations for all the tea in China. They're something that no fan of any other club has probably ever truly experienced. If that ain't history, I don't know what is.....

Mods.

I am asking for a permanent ban on GDM from this forum.

Not only did he NOT attend York away he has admitted to that fact. Nobody and I mean nobody else in the history of this psychotic forum has admitted to not going to this match. Posters that weren't even born say they went. This is tantamount to sacrilege and I demand a ban.
Fancy coming on here and being honest... we have standards to keep down.

Just sayin'

It's mad to think in that year, 3 of those teams in that league that year have since been Premier League clubs yet all the others like Preston etc have been sat in pretty much the same leagues for all those years.. Grim, we are very lucky!

gordondaviesmoustache said:

That's a great post, GDM. Well said.

Exeter Blue I am here said:
Like you I didn't go to York, but I did go to some other right horror shows including a truly appalling defeat at Wycombe at the end of an industrial estate.
Haha! Yes that fucking industrial estate stuck in my mind too. I don't reckon there'll be a similar one next to the Nou Camp. I was in Wycombe a few weeks ago and it was the first thing that popped into my head!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.