#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're gonna have to give us a breakdown per game for these rodri stats so people can see what exactly is being classed as a "line breaking" or forward pass. Not sure I've seen many/anyone pull off 11 of what I would consider "line breaking" passes in a game, nevermind that as an average per game, and nevermind it being plodri. At a guess I'd say fernandinho averaged half of that, at best

True, but they were not alone.

I'm just joking. I don't think he is as bad as some on here are making out. At the same time I don't think he's as good as other people are making out either.

I didn't think he was great in the last game but I could say the same about nearly all the rest of the team also.

For those who think Rodri only passes sideways. That means De Bruyne only does too.

View attachment 6833

“Ball progression distance per 90”

I’m sure somebody somewhere has a really good use for such a random pointless stat but providing proof against the suggestion Rodri isn’t progressive enough with his passing isn’t it.

Anytime he drops into the back 4/5 to take it from a defenders feet, carry it 10 yards unopposed then pass it out wide to the fullback who is 10 yards further forward than him but still for all intents and purposes is a sideways ball as the ball is still behind 10 men that’s presumably 20 yards added to this stat is it not?

Anytime he picks up a cleared hoof up field around the halfway, turns it back around carrying it 10-15 yards forward before the opposition push out on to him and he passes it out wide to a fullback it’s adding to the “ball progression per 90” stat whilst simultaneously adding to the recoveries per game stat that’s previously been shared on here and probably the dribbles stat too that laughably put him second in the league for dribbles, oh and By the time he lays it off he will be in the final third so chalk another one on the passes in/into the final third stat too.

All these stats that are somehow meant to show how great Rodri is are utterly meaningless as they’re presented. There’s no context to them. The only stat I’ve seen regarding him that’s actually relevant is the aerial duel stat, that is useful information and it’s rather impressive but nobody has any doubts about his aerial ability.

If you go back and watch the early games when rodders arrived he passed quicker and sharper than what we are currently seeing. Pace was never his strong point. The club knew this once he was purchased.

If you look past the speed and pace for a second and focus on the other aspects of his game it is alarming.

For example: He receives the ball and will either slow it down, pass to a full back or turn back towards the defence.

All I want to know is why he is now doing this every game? Lack of movement up front?

Whatever the reasons are can you please just stop it.

“Ball progression distance per 90”

I’m sure somebody somewhere has a really good use for such a random pointless stat but providing proof against the suggestion Rodri isn’t progressive enough with his passing isn’t it.

Anytime he drops into the back 4/5 to take it from a defenders feet, carry it 10 yards unopposed then pass it out wide to the fullback who is 10 yards further forward than him but still for all intents and purposes is a sideways ball as the ball is still behind 10 men that’s presumably 20 yards added to this stat is it not?

Anytime he picks up a cleared hoof up field around the halfway, turns it back around carrying it 10-15 yards forward before the opposition push out on to him and he passes it out wide to a fullback it’s adding to the “ball progression per 90” stat whilst simultaneously adding to the recoveries per game stat that’s previously been shared on here and probably the dribbles stat too that laughably put him second in the league for dribbles, oh and By the time he lays it off he will be in the final third so chalk another one on the passes in/into the final third stat too.

All these stats that are somehow meant to show how great Rodri is are utterly meaningless as they’re presented. There’s no context to them. The only stat I’ve seen regarding him that’s actually relevant is the aerial duel stat, that is useful information and it’s rather impressive but nobody has any doubts about his aerial ability.

Statsbomb defines 'Deep Progressions - Passes, dribbles and carries into the opposition final third per 90 minutes.'

I didn't make the graphic so can't be 100% but would assume the creator used the same metric.

The stats are measured the same for everyone the same way. I people are naturally biased and stats are an easy way to cut through that bias.

I think if Ferna has been playing Rodri's position all season he would be getting tons of plaudits for being the main reason for our great defense and the hate would move to Sterling/Mahrez (even more than it is now) for not scoring.

That because people love Ferna so look for the good and ignore the bad and vice versa for Rodri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.