16 | Rodri - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's playing the most demanding position in our team, so obviously, it's taken time for him to learn the traits, and he has to continue doing so.

It's positional awareness and decisiveness that comes with experience, the Chelsea game was the first where I saw everything a Guardiola defensive midfielder has. He was so commanding, so aggressive. There's no need to ping it long for those suggesting he could have done on a couple occasions, safe isn't a bad option against opposition you know you cannot take risk against and especially don't want to give the ball to at any time, keeping pressure. He was outstanding, it's just a matter of consistency now, which will come in due course, but the signs are there, and they are looking really, really good!

Think our respective performances against Southampton and Chelsea have sealed his place in the team for a few weeks to come.

It's still a weakness however you dress it up or pretend it doesn't exist.

Yesterdays line up proved it can be very much compensated for though,as he was given the platform to dominate and dictate and,subsequently,he looked world class.
In a team with less energy/drive and enthusiasm he will occasionally be exposed again.
The defensive midfielder only looks good when those behind him and in front of him do their jobs as well, pace is a non-issue. So yes, the energy/drive is part of our system, hence why he was brought, we did not buy him to be an all in one, Fernandinho was too unique for Pep even, a profile we clearly have moved from and gone with a traditional choice. It's not bad at all, Bernardo and Cancelo helping him out in the middle does wonders.

He'll only be exposed (like others) when he misses passes, or has a bad game making bad tackles/decisions and such, no one will save him then, but the whole bit about players going past him too easily on counters is mostly a lack of understanding between players/the press not doing its job from the front end of the pitch, because as shown yesterday, it's not all that easy to get past him or bully him if everyone is on it. You don't need a sole saviour of a profile in there to always make it work, just embrace the change in difference and profile that we have for many years to come. People are just too set on wanting a like-for-like Fernandinho, and that's just impossible.

For those also on about pace, need I remind you the 14 game winning run where the defensive midfielder was Gundogan, not the quickest or most physical, but because everyone else was on it too, he breezed through most games without an issue and contributed superbly to our attack. So please don't tell me it's down to just pace as a weakness, because it really is a non factor.

He's playing the most demanding position in our team, so obviously, it's taken time for him to learn the traits, and he has to continue doing so.

It's positional awareness and decisiveness that comes with experience, the Chelsea game was the first where I saw everything a Guardiola defensive midfielder has. He was so commanding, so aggressive. There's no need to ping it long for those suggesting he could have done on a couple occasions, safe isn't a bad option against opposition you know you cannot take risk against and especially don't want to give the ball to at any time, keeping pressure. He was outstanding, it's just a matter of consistency now, which will come in due course, but the signs are there, and they are looking really, really good!

Positioning is key to the role with some like Rodri but really for all the best DM's. Being able to hare about like a blue arsed fly is all well and good but if you are doing that regularly, there's actually something wrong somewhere and you are making up for your own or your team's deficiencies. It's a bit like when I used to play a bit of squash, many years back now; I was very average one friend that I played a few times was one of those guys who was good at any sport he tried. My friend would stand in the middle of the court and knock the ball about and I would be racing around trying to stay in the game.

If Rodri's team mates are in the right positions, Rodders should be able to read the game and move serenely into positions to block passing lanes, field loose balls or make the odd tackle or interception. If he is having to sprint after someone, the system has had one of its moments of failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.