16 | Rodri - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodri's on the way to becoming the best DM the PL has seen.

Not that pundits will notice it any time soon.

Turning into Prime Yaya.

Yaya was a DM then realized he can just usr his massive body to get by people.

Rodri has seemingly realized this and is the most complete midfielder this season.
Remember that period whenever there was a free kick and Yaya stepped up for it, and you just knew it was going in? I kinda feel like that every time Rodders gets the ball. Delightful

The question is -> If Pep was the manager when Yaya Toure reached his prime, would he be as influential and dominating midfielder as Rodri is right now..

But also we should consider, that Pep decided to choose Busquets for that role and sold Yaya

With Macini or Pellegrini systems, we weren't tactically ready for the bigger European teams.. But individually Toure was incredible and in this Pep system, where everyone knows what to do, everything is well-planned - it's easier for the player to show his skills and when team competes at a higher level, wins titles, you can single out each player and talk about his individual abilities.

For example David Silva. He was incredible before and after Pep. Same applies to Aguero and Kompany and Fernandinho. So I guess, Toure we have been same, if he had aged a little bit later.

So I would say Toure and Rodri are on the same level, but Rodri is luckier due to reason, that his prime aligned with Pep's period and this magnificent team.

I think Rodri has full potential to be named as the best defensive midfielder PL and world football has ever seen.

For the past decade we've had two incredible defensive midfielders. Very blessed.

Said in the summer he could be a reliable unexpected source of goals this season with kovacic (and now nunes who we hadn't signed at the time) giving him a bit more freedom and he isn't half doing that. 5 goals/assists already behind only haaland and alvarez, he's stepped up another level this season. He would be my captain.

It could be easily argued that he is the worlds best player regardless of position: CL POTY, Nations League POTY, CL winner, PL winner, FA cup winner. He is a phenomenon based on current performance.
I'll reserve judgement until I see him on a wet wednesday night in the Potteries. That's the acid test. Champions League final? Pfft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.