18 | Stefan Ortega - 2023/24

You play your best team available in the champions league quarter final, if Ederson is 100%, he starts. Ortega has done a very good job, barely put a foot wrong and I wouldn't be overly concerned if he had to play midweek but he's not our number 1, he knows that and i seriously doubt he'd be expecting to be based off a few games deputising for the injured ederson so talk of it being unfair for ederson to come back in is just daft.

People seem to be extremely quick to constantly forget the numerous times Ederson has won us points. We don't have a treble without him, he's not in poor form at all as suggested, he was arguably in the best form of his entire career this past 12 months prior to his injury.

You think klopp is keeping kelleher in net when alisson is back because hes annoyingly done well for them? Theres a hierarchy in net it won't cause any issues for ederson to come back in.

I feel like with Ortega, there's a "prisoner of the moment" feeling becoming prevalent.

And today proved the "one shot one goal" issue isn't just with Ederson.

Remember his absolute atrocity against Southampton in the Carabao Cup last year? One of the goals was non-league levels of awful.

Not to mention we've complained about his distribution this season at times not having the vision that Ederson does. It hasn't been a real negative but he isnt as good at the things we want from a GK.

Hes been fantastic as the backup over the last month, and we're lucky to have him, as he could start for most PL teams. But he's been here for close to 2 years and he's still the backup.

I feel like with Ortega, there's a "prisoner of the moment" feeling becoming prevalent.

And today proved the "one shot one goal" issue isn't just with Ederson.

Remember his absolute atrocity against Southampton in the Carabao Cup last year? One of the goals was non-league levels of awful.

Not to mention we've complained about his distribution this season at times not having the vision that Ederson does. It hasn't been a real negative but he isnt as good at the things we want from a GK.

Hes been fantastic as the backup over the last month, and we're lucky to have him, as he could start for most PL teams. But he's been here for close to 2 years and he's still the backup.

You make a very good point or two. Our keepers often have a relatively poor looking save to shots ratio because when we concede chances, they are often good ones (for the opposition) because of the way we play, with lots of players in advanced positions. Palace’s first goal was an example of what can happen when it goes wrong.

Ortega is a fantastic back-up to Ederson but in pure goalkeeping terms, I think that there is little to choose between them, one way or the other. Ederson is underrated as a keeper in my view. He does make (or need to make) lots of miracle saves but his all round technique is excellent.

In terms of distribution of the ball, Ederson is a good as I have ever seen. He is ridiculously good. His vision of what is in front of him is outstanding and his passing ability is sensational.

You make a very good point or two. Our keepers often have a relatively poor looking save to shots ratio because when we concede chances, they are often good ones (for the opposition) because of the way we play, with lots of players in advanced positions. Palace’s first goal was an example of what can happen when it goes wrong.

Ortega is a fantastic back-up to Ederson but in pure goalkeeping terms, I think that there is little to choose between them, one way or the other. Ederson is underrated as a keeper in my view. He does make (or need to make) lots of miracle saves but his all round technique is excellent.

In terms of distribution of the ball, Ederson is a good as I have ever seen. He is ridiculously good. His vision of what is in front of him is outstanding and his passing ability is sensational.
Exactly. If your keeper concedes the first shot and then saves the next 9, it ultimately means just as much as conceding the only shot you face all game.

Ederson is consistently the starter so we see more examples of "bad games" and he's almost always the one playing against better opposition. So when we see the backup come in for a small sample size and he doesn't embarrass himself, there's always going to be those who think he's the clear cut choice to start.

I'm a huge fan of Ederson for the reasons you mention. There's this myth that he's not a good shot stopper and people assume all he is there for is his ability to pass.

Reactions: OB1
Done very well, but he isn't at Edersons level. If eddy is fit he starts this week.
I don't don't see a fag paper between them, right now. If anything I'm more comfortable with him shifting the ball slightly quicker and more assured in his positioning. Especially as he rarely plays, which is testament to his outstanding ability.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.