1933 FA Cup Final... Everton 3 Manchester City 0

ColinBellsjockstrap

The first Wembley Cup final where numbers were worn on the back of shirts.......

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkgLWaXKn4Y[/video]

xgorton said:
xgorton said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
I thought it was the first game where numbers were worn on shirts.
Also told they were numbered 1-22,don't know if that's true.
Sorry just watched the tape it was true.
It is, although I'm not sure when the 1-11 system was adopted. Maybe a question for Gary James.

IIRC numbers were to become standard in league matches in the 1939/40 season but obviously had to wait till after the war.

xgorton said:
xgorton said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
I thought it was the first game where numbers were worn on shirts.

Because when matches were first broadcast over the radio they tried to set up a system so that the listener could picture where the player was and who he was. You could get a 'map' of the pitch split into various zones which (I think) were numbered. You had this in front of you when listening to the match and the presenter would state the number of the player and the zone they were in when in possession.

Correct me if Im wrong.......Im not a historian

Ifwecouldjust....... said:
xgorton said:
xgorton said:

Because when matches were first broadcast over the radio they tried to set up a system so that the listener could picture where the player was and who he was. You could get a 'map' of the pitch split into various zones which (I think) were numbered. You had this in front of you when listening to the match and the presenter would state the number of the player and the zone they were in when in possession.

Yes spot on I once remembered reading about that somewhere.

Ifwecouldjust....... said:
xgorton said:
xgorton said:

You are correct about the "map", apparently it was where "back to square one" comes from. City improving the language since 1933.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.