1983: Narrowly Avoided Nuclear War

OnlyOneUweRosler

In 1983, a series of events could have caused nuclear war, culminating in the Able Archer exercises by NATO. Fortunately we avoided it, in large part because a Soviet soldier at a base realized there was a malfunction in the early warning system and refused to launch a counter attack. Short video that explains the year it nearly all ended.

One pretty popular theory about that incident..
a4732987a8c05d18cb149dc179e18fe4.jpg

These were shit scary times for me in my teens, at times it felt like it was inevitable that there’s be a 3rd Word War and life would be ended.

I mentioned in another thread recently, that I was sooooo glad when Gorbachev became more of an influence, he seemed far more reasonable and calm and was prepared to sit down and talk and make certain concessions, maybe the contrast between him and Andropov (ex leader of the KGB I think) made it seem more so, but nevertheless, he gave me a the feeling of a calm and rational presence on ‘the other side’, this with Ukraine now though is probably the nearest I’ve come to thinking things may just go horribly wrong.

These were shit scary times for me in my teens, at times it felt like it was inevitable that there’s be a 3rd Word War and life would be ended.

I mentioned in another thread recently, that I was sooooo glad when Gorbachev became more of an influence, he seemed far more reasonable and calm and was prepared to sit down and talk and make certain concessions, maybe the contrast between him and Andropov (ex leader of the KGB I think) made it seem more so, but nevertheless, he gave me a the feeling of a calm and rational presence on ‘the other side’, this with Ukraine now though is probably the nearest I’ve come to thinking things may just go horribly wrong.
Good call.
It was a very real prospect back in my youth. So much so it affected my ability to build a career for myself. I genuinely thought what’s the point if we are going to get nuked. Set me back years.
I bought Gorbachevs Memoirs book. A very large and sometimes heavy account but very interesting nonetheless.

Good call.
It was a very real prospect back in my youth. So much so it affected my ability to build a career for myself. I genuinely thought what’s the point if we are going to get nuked. Set me back years.
I bought Gorbachevs Memoirs book. A very large and sometimes heavy account but very interesting nonetheless.
You know what mate, I was pondering just how much that contributed to my total lack of effort and interest in school earlier too, all I was interested in were girls, and to a lesser extent football and music, maybe I’m just making excuses, but THAT was a contributing factor when I look back and think about it most definitely.

You know what mate, I was pondering just how much that contributed to my total lack of effort and interest in school earlier too, all I was interested in were girls, and to a lesser extent football and music, maybe I’m just making excuses, but THAT was a contributing factor when I look back and think about it most definitely.
Sounds exactly like me and I don’t think you are making excuses at all.
It was a very real threat as borne out by subsequent facts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.