2 asteroids in Earth near miss

James23 said:
I watched that 'Wonders of the Solar System' the other night and apparently its just a matter of time until we get hit by an asteroid, basically Earth is flying through an asteroid field that Jupiter forces even closer to us. Hopefully I'll be dead by the time we're hit :)

It's the exact opposite if I remember.

We're flying through clear space because the large gas giants protect us by sucking the asteroids into them.

The Fixer said:
What size of astroid would it take to absolutely obliterate earth? What impact would it have on our solar system if us or any planet in solar system was fcuked off the map so to speak??

That's the exact same as one of the final exam questions in my Exploring the Cosmos first year module at University.

Joycee Banercheck said:
I'd love to see an asteroid twatting the moon. I know we'd all die but it'd be an awesome sight.

You probably wouldn't see it coz asteroids only come out at night......... ;-)

pee dubya said:
The Fixer said:
What size of astroid would it take to absolutely obliterate earth? What impact would it have on our solar system if us or any planet in solar system was fcuked off the map so to speak??

That's the exact same as one of the final exam questions in my Exploring the Cosmos first year module at University.

What was the answer? :O)

The Fixer said:
pee dubya said:

What was the answer? :O)

Quite a big one, and fuck knows. Put more eloquently.

pee dubya said:
The Fixer said:

lol......And the answer was?

If i remember correctly the Tanguska event was a 50m diameter meteor, and anything above a 250m diameter would be a near extinction event.

The answer is in this lecture but as it's over an hour long I've not got time to review it for confirmation of those sizes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVwRsAltFDw&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

lloydie said:
pee dubya said:

lol......And the answer was?

If i remember correctly the Tanguska event was a 50m diameter meteor, and anything above a 250m diameter would be a near extinction event.

The answer is in this lecture but as it's over an hour long I've not got time to review it for confirmation of those sizes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVwRsAltFDw&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

250 m is quite small when you consider there are asteroids shitloads bigger in diameter etc travelling at like 40000 mph....scary stuff!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.