20 | Bernardo Silva - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember when we played Real Madrid, McManaman made the point on commentary that Madrid were happy to let Bernardo have the ball and didn't press him or close him down. (watching back he was correct). The inference being that he isn't particularly a threat with the ball at his feet.

He's great at recycling the ball and keeping the ball but I think he only had 4 PL assists all season.

I love him but should he have more assists and goals for his level of ability?
Because this is his job in the team when he plays deeper like we've seen him lately. It's not his job to assist from deep. There are times when he does get forward and link up with the winger though. See the first goal against the rags at home. He combined with Grealish for the cross for Kev to score.

As far as why Ancellotti let him have the ball it's probably because if he did press him, Bernardo has the ability to beat it on his own like how he went on his mazy run against the whole Liverpool team. So it's probably better to keep him in front of you.

So Bernardo MIGHT go and there it is. In a flash. MacManaman and Ancelotti proved Bernardo is simply a very mediocre player. So we can easily let him go.

Try and answer the question raised: Why did Ancelotti believe it was beneficial to Real Madrid to let Bernardo receive and carry the ball without being pressed or tackled?

I only really remember Real Madrid seriously pressing one player and that was Kev, who Casemiro took out as soon as he got the ball.

It made no sense for them to press with any real intensity because their defence were too deep and it would have left acres of space.

Bernardo is someone you particularly don't want to press because he will simply take it around you and whoever else wants to try and close him down.

Try and answer the question raised: Why did Ancelotti believe it was beneficial to Real Madrid to let Bernardo receive and carry the ball without being pressed or tackled?
Sometimes, as you have seen, it is better to know the answer to the question before publicly posing it, lest you grab the wrong end of the stick!

It is clear Pep plays Bernardo in at least two distinct ways:

- Attacking/creative/false nine
- Second deep lying midfielder bringing the ball out of defence

When he plays the first, it is almost impossible to keep him in front of you in a rigid defensive shell, as he has Licence to roam.

In the second, it is imperative you keep him in front of you, so you can close the lanes and try to blunt any attacking impulse. Against lesser teams, this situation creates a nightmare to shutdown one of the most skillful players in the world, as he tries to pick you off with a pass or dribble around your first line of defence.

Even if he wants to go would do reject any bid

He has 3 years left on his contract, I don't think he's the type to throw his toys out the pram

Think its too risky releasing him this summer, don't see many players who can replace him

Also I don't see the hype at all in Frenkie De Jong, just don't see how he is anything compared to Bernardo and there is a reason Barca want to trade them despite Frenkie being much younger

Keep keep keep, sell next summer once we get Bellingham through the door

Already going to be a bit of a transition with Sterling, Jesus likey to go, Dinho left and arguably Zinchenko leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.