20 | Bernardo Silva - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wham I am going to write might be sacrilege for some, but I think Foden should be ahead. Our defense is too strong and the Rodri/Kovacic tandem looks really promising that I don't feel we need Bernardo's energy as much.

Without Gundogan and KDB one year older, what we need is creativity and Foden is 10 times more threatening/creative than Bernardo.
You're right it is sacrilege

he looked like he couldn’t be bothered today, cole palmer offered more when he came on.

I just hope he’s not sulking
His game is about the intense all action performance. we are 2 weeks behind everybody else in pre-season, it makes perfect sense you'd see a bigger drop off in a player like Bernardo than you would somebody whose game isn't as intense.

our other similar players in terms of intensity being a huge part of their game are alvarez and foden, alvarez looked equally off it and phil only featured from the bench. Absolutely nothing to worry about, they'll kick on once the fitness is there.

His flexibility in playing RW and midfield makes him a strange case of where he is best suited.

Obviously losing Mahrez makes RW his spot more likely.

But his midfield control will be missed, although Kovacic can just do that job instead.

In this new system, he is not a "winger winger", more of a "false winger", like Grealish...

For example, in 4-3-3 system we had following scenario:

----------Rodri----------------
---KDB----------Bernie-------
Mahrez--Haaland---Foden--

In this new system:

------Stones-------Rodri---------
Bernie------------------Grealish
--------KDB------Gundo----------
-----------Haaland----------------

Here Bernie and Grealish were used for build-up and KDB-Gundo were more concentrated on attack i.e they were nearer to the opponent's box.

Why this change was important: both Bernie and Jack have the best skills for the build-up, ball possession, dribbling and etc. But what they lack is creativity and sharpness in the final third. On the other hand, that's where Gundo and KDB are the best. So this tactical switch and exchanging duties of wingers and attacking midfielders helped the club a lot.

When Pep assessed Bernardo as a midfielder 1 or 2 years ago, he said that - "Bernardo is the player who loves to receive the ball wide and then cut inside, dribble.. do his stuff..". So that's why he didn't like him as a RCM. Then he moved him as a LCM and TBH he was doing well in terms of defensive duties, but in terms of offensive no that much.

So this new role of his in this new system - is something we were waiting for and that's the role - where we use all of his best skills and abilities.

Maybe that's why he has finally decided to renew his contract.

And not only Bernie, this tactical switch helped Jack a lot as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.