20 Years Ago Today - Blackburn (a) promotion game

What a day.

The thing that stands out watching those three videos(apart from how lucky we were not to be 2, 3 goals behind) is how delighted Big Joe was and how much affection I personally have for him and the job he did for us.

I remember thinking in 98 after the Stoke game that this really could be the end of us being a big club. I could only see a slow decline. We'd survive as a club but I couldnt see us ever being successful again.

We have a lot to thank Royle for. Those two season plus the move to the new staduim saved us and put us in a position where we were ripe for investment which led to all the joy and success we have had over the last 10 years.

IMO Pep is clearly the best manager we've ever had but in terms of getting the club and fans and doing a great job with the resources he had (since 1984) Joe is number one.

What a day.

The thing that stands out watching those three videos(apart from how lucky we were not to be 2, 3 goals behind) is how delighted Big Joe was and how much affection I personally have for him and the job he did for us.

I remember thinking in 98 after the Stoke game that this really could be the end of us being a big club. I could only see a slow decline. We'd survive as a club but I couldnt see us ever being successful again.

We have a lot to thank Royle for. Those two season plus the move to the new staduim saved us and put us in a position where we were ripe for investment which led to all the joy and success we have had over the last 10 years.

IMO Pep is clearly the best manager we've ever had but in terms of getting the club and fans and doing a great job with the resources he had (since 1984) Joe is number one.
Good old Joe, remember us and the rags both at home same day in the cup 1969 6th round,we beat Spurs rags hot beat with Everton,Joe got the winner for Everton.

Remember some bloke handing a bottle of champagne to Joe Royle on the pitch but wouldn't let go of it. Joe ended up having to pull it off him!

Paid 140 for a pair in the front row on the top tier of the opposite stand to ours, what a vantage point - blues absolutely everywhere. Another wonderful sunny afternoon, it’s amazing how often the sun shines on our glory days - almost as if somebody up there likes us

I was actually in Abu Dhabi installing a system for Etisalat that day...little did I know that I was working with future City sponsors. I left early that day to listen to the match as it wasn't on TV. Went from a nervous wreck to delirious in the space of an hour. Headed down to the bar at the old Sheraton and satayed for the entire evening and night and ended up singing a few songs with the house band most of whom were from Liverpool...;) But they were delighted that a "big club" like City were back in the Prem. Fuckers wouldn't say it now though, would they...?

A great day and night.

Didn't have the good fortune to be there but watched it on the telly and rewatched the VHS so many times that i'm surprised it didn't break.

I remember the celebration for either Dickov's or Kennedy's goal. They both ran to Joe Royle but on one of the goals you can see a young Blackburn fan clapping and then get a bollocking from whom I presume was the insestuous sperm donor
Fixed

Great day, fantastic weather and eventually a stroll in the park!! Was in the upper tier of the away end and towards the front so didn't even try to get on the pitch but it was actually a fabulous sight seeing all those blues on the pitch from up there. So many around before and after the game it seemed like a Wembley outing

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.