20 Years of Hubble

bizzbo

hubble (hubblesite.org) has been in operation for 20 years today, good time to flick through some of the incredible images it has captured...

let's start with something close to home..... this crystal clear image of saturn, the blue circle being an aurora, the equivalent of our northern lights...
hs-2005-06-b-large_web.jpg

everybody loves a good star-forming nebula. the 1995 image of the eagle nebula has become iconic:
hs-1995-44-a-large_web.jpg

in celebration of hubble's 20th anniversary, this image of the 'mystic mountain' was released this morning (there are huge versions of this on the site)
hs-2010-13-a-800_wallpaper.jpg

how about galaxies. a side on view of the 'sombrero':
hs-2003-28-a-800_wallpaper.jpg

a glorious top down view of M101:
hs-2006-10-a-large_web.jpg

there are countless images of galaxies colliding, or the aftermath of collisions
hs-2002-11-d-800_wallpaper.jpg

hs-2008-16-aa-large_web.jpg

hs-2006-46-a-large_web.jpg

there is some wierd stuff going on out there. this is a black hole shooting out a stream of electrons and sub-atomic particles
hs-2000-20-a-web.jpg

this is a startling series of images of a gigantic eruption from a star hundreds of times the size of our sun, V838 Monocerotis. it's unclear what happened, there are some very controversial theories, but whatever it was, it caused it to burn a million times as brightly as the sun.
143fknn.jpg

hs-2005-02-f-large_web.jpg

next one is a planetary nebula, and represents what will happen to the solar system when the sun eventually gives up the ghost
hs-2007-09-a-800_wallpaper.jpg

but this is the one that really scares me.... this image represents the oldest light ever captured, from the furthest reaches of the universe ever scanned. a little grainy perhaps, but scientists detected 1500 galaxies in one tiny area alone.
hs-1996-01-a-800_wallpaper.jpg

Arent those pictures from....2002 to 2004 of the sun/star which is brighter than ours, meant to be what some people are claiming is NIBIRU.....?

Those pics are truly amazing, and further fuel my belief that we're not the only life in this galaxy/universe

AlthamBlue said:
Those pics are truly amazing, and further fuel my belief that we're not the only life in this galaxy/universe

Why?

There's nothing in thse pictures which even sugests life elsewhere.

<a class="postlink" href="http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html</a>

Bookmark it.<br /><br />-- Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:50 pm --<br /><br />
urmston said:
AlthamBlue said:

Why?

What?

So in all of creation this is the only star/planet with life...?

Nah.

I think we'll find something, even if it's only bacteria, in this solar system never mind beyond.

1.618034 said:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

Bookmark it.

-- Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:50 pm --

urmston said:
Why?

What?

So in all of creation this is the only star/planet with life...?

Nah.

I think we'll find something, even if it's only bacteria, in this solar system never mind beyond.

Here?

2iqhbw6.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.