2012 Ryder Cup...

JoeMercer'sWay said:
The cookie monster said:
bluestevei said:
the best golf comp is and will always be the open, but i carnt wait till we [ europe ] beats the yanks on there own turf
Its not mate
Have you been excited in the last 20 years on the final day of the open?

i am every year, i do go though
Do you agree though that the match play aspect throws up so much more than a medal round? This is what makes it so much more appealing to a wider audience.
It's a bit like the ashes or the six nations where even the uninitiated get the fever.

Gaylord du Bois said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
The cookie monster said:
Its not mate

Do you agree though that the match play aspect throws up so much more than a medal round? This is what makes it so much more appealing to a wider audience.
It's a bit like the ashes or the six nations where even the uninitiated get the fever.

yes, but it's completely different to the Open and to lessen the greatness of that just doesn't sit well, the Ryder Cup is brilliant in its own right, but it's like nothing else and should be treated as such.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
Blue Punter said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
Still got to hit a good shot to the green no matter how far you hit it.

This is true, but the further the tee shot, the easier the approach.
The lack of rough is the real worry for the Europeans. Mickelson & Woods can boom it off the tee, safe in the knowledge they're not going to be heavily penalised for a wayward drive. Those two in particular have such good short games, they'll be attacking pins at will. Typical USA target golf.

Garcia has already said the course is playing easier than it ever has.

"The course is playing different with pretty much no rough, so there's not a lot of thinking when you get onto the tee. You can pretty much hit it nice and hard, and even if you miss pretty much every time you'll have a shot."

I backed EUR at 2/1 with Baldy as I think they'll trade lower at some point. I think USA will just edge in the singles.

Well Sergio likes Medinah so if he's finding it easy then it's a good sign.

The problem is that it's also easier for EVERYONE else.

Straight driving (a key feature in the games of Garcia and Westwood) is less likely to be rewarded as bad drives are likely to go unpunished.

If it comes down to the short game and putting, Garcia & Westwood are at a disadvantage to the likes of Woods & Mickleson. That's why Garcia is unhappy the way the course has been set up.

Blue Punter said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
Blue Punter said:
This is true, but the further the tee shot, the easier the approach.
The lack of rough is the real worry for the Europeans. Mickelson & Woods can boom it off the tee, safe in the knowledge they're not going to be heavily penalised for a wayward drive. Those two in particular have such good short games, they'll be attacking pins at will. Typical USA target golf.

Garcia has already said the course is playing easier than it ever has.

I backed EUR at 2/1 with Baldy as I think they'll trade lower at some point. I think USA will just edge in the singles.

Straight driving (a key feature in the games of Garcia and Westwood) is less likely to be rewarded as bad drives are likely to go unpunished.

If it comes down to the short game and putting, Garcia & Westwood are at a disadvantage to the likes of Woods & Mickleson. That's why Garcia is unhappy the way the course has been set up.

just got to get on with it, if you play tee to green well enough the putting shouldn't matter if you get the ball close enough.

Sergio and Lee are good enough tee to green to get the ball close enough to make plenty of birdies.

Gaylord du Bois said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
The cookie monster said:
Its not mate

My other half even likes the ryder cup and she has no interest in any sport whatsoever.

the open is the greatest golf championship bar none, like wimbledon is the best tennis championship and the fa cup is the best cup comp. ryder cup is the best team event thou

Augusta beats all for me. One of my top 3 favourites on the sporting calender.

The Ryder cup is awesome though. Love a good Europe thrashing of the Yanks.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
Gaylord du Bois said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

yes, but it's completely different to the Open and to lessen the greatness of that just doesn't sit well, the Ryder Cup is brilliant in its own right, but it's like nothing else and should be treated as such.
I agree to a point(without getting into a purist debate) and I can't think of any other individual sport that translates to a team ethic than golfs Ryder cup.
Incidentally I've recently played at its birth place. A weird thing really as it apparent that Hitler left a greater mark on the place than Samuel Ryder.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
Blue Punter said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

just got to get on with it, if you play tee to green well enough the putting shouldn't matter if you get the ball close enough.

Sergio and Lee are good enough tee to green to get the ball close enough to make plenty of birdies.

Putting is the weak point of both of their games. If either of them had an above average short game, they'd be multiple major winners.

USA have set the course up to enable their erratic drivers to get to the green in regulation. There is hardly any rough adjacent to fairways or greens.

Love obviously thinks he has better putters in his team. Only time will tell.

Blue Punter said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
Blue Punter said:

Putting is the weak point of both of their games. If either of them had an above average short game, they'd be multiple major winners.

USA have set the course up to enable their erratic drivers to get to the green in regulation. There is hardly any rough adjacent to fairways or greens.

Love obviously thinks he has better putters in his team. Only time will tell.

point being that if you keep sticking it to 2-3 feet you shouldn't miss.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.